a gallery(?)

singularity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wip looks pretty good, too bad Xiao Emblem is dead otherwise it'd be great for that ^^;

But yeah, repeating what everyone else is saying, you could PM any of us for help (on any of your mugs) if you wanted to take that route. Not everything needs to be forced into completion, though, so do whatever you're comfortable with.

helmet + scarf combo can't be beat ^^

The design is simple, but I think it works out well given Glaceon's design and type. Shading is probably the issue. Just try to keep it as simple as possible: use a pre-existing palette (very important), reference legault+genericSoldier for the face shading, and look for simple/lowTrim armors to emulate for the plates and ear.

• 1 month later...

*casually revives this topic*

image.png

was going to make this a last-minute splice comp entry but I have no time to edit it and I was too late either way. now that I've taken a better look at him, the range between his eye and his ear is too far

image.pngimage.png

prev splice comp entries.

Edited by deer hands

That splice is really really good. Creative use of parts, nice design. Too bad it wasn't submitted, honestly feel that could have won. :)

Some interesting previous entries as well. Good stuff here, will be paying attention.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

a WIP.

was about to make this a secret sprite but I can't shade robes, so I need help.

[spoiler=other things:]9_2.png

latest splice comp entry. Used to have the short-haired variant(which isn't much different).

image.png

Jacob, random mercenary guy made when I was trying to revamp Icarus. Eventually I gave up revamping to make him(and honestly I think he's better than 80% of the other sprites I made here).

Edited by deer hands

That mercenary guy is cool, looks like a bored Ike cosplayer to me. lol

I think it depends on what kind of fabric you're imagining for that robe. I don't think the vanilla FE sprites do such a great job of the fabric folds, so I'm just linking a couple photo refs.

8e9cc8153d.jpgac790b4638.jpg

A thinner starchier shirt would have a lot of folds close to the armpit, whereas a thicker, drapier robe, like Gandalf's, sits more nicely on the body, and has a bit of a shoulder to it. I think one issue you may be having is that you're trying to show that the arm is still rounded, but not thinking about how the cloth would actually fold.

Right now you've got one fold coming in on the near shoulder, which doesn't make sense. I think it would make more sense if you defined that line more and made it into a seam (is it a seam? Can't tell tbh), then made the armpit folds should contour the seam more. As for the far shoulder, I think it needs a bit more of the darkest color defining the folds.

Another thing you might wanna consider is the clasp thing on the robe, the crazy amount of border color is making it look like it's a necklace or a broach on top of the robe instead of part of the trim--think it needs toning done to be in the same style as the trim.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool! Yay custom battle sprites to comment on! :D

I like the design, very cool. Good execution too, looks very clean!

Now come the nitpicks/areas that could use tweaking... The foot on the right strikes me as slightly odd looking though. Like the calf(*calve? spellling wut?) shouldn't come down at a 90 degree angle, probably something between 70-90 degrees is what you're looking for there.

The lower body looks cool, and the upper body look cool as well, but at the moment the body is looking a bit pear shaped rather than a more masculine or built V-shape or boxish shape for the upper body.(I assume this character is either male or not supposed to be ambiguous in design?) That could be solved with widening the shoulders or shrinking the hips. Either way I think maybe the shoulders are a little narrow... Possibly. The cape itself looks alright, but could be a bit more epic and flowy, perhaps.

The hip armor is very cool, as is the rest of it... Colors could do with a bit more contrast though, as at the moment the details get a bit lost.

Yeti's second custom battle sprite tutorial has some interesting tips/thoughts on custom color pallets for battle sprites. Check it out here.

All in all though, solid sprite! Nice work once again!

new year, new sprites. double post but ehhh

image.png

the Christmas tree that I haven't posted on this yet.

image.png

Arrow, a thief, result of fiddling with prototype FE8 mugs. He looks much better when zoomed in imho.

image.png

another custom EO battle sprite, with merc as the base. I want to differentiate his pose a bit at first but it didn't work.

I suppose I'm going to turn this into a gallery from now.

Edited by singularity

I don't think I could ever visualize something like that... even if it's not a lot of work by some people's standards, I wouldn't even know where to begin to do something like that... what characters to look for pieces from, what to take... the fine little details and pieces of pixels are lost on my eyes, sadly.

Anyone who can figure out those things gets much respect from me. Great job!

decided to try some customing again since I've got a tablet now(which makes it much easier for me).

image.png

Sir Haydn, a Great Knight and resident Jagen. armor's custom but not 100% done yet. need tips on armor shading(specifically on how to make it look shiny, I just can't pull it off well). the shoulders look a bit straight b/c I tried to make him fit into the hackbox.

image.png

supposed to be a water spirit. some parts of her hair(mainly the bangs) are custom b/c I can't find any good bangs to fully cover her eyes(Nils's only cover her left(right OPV) eye), rest are Idoun. a bit iffy on her front part because it seems too plain(and kinda flat), but idk how to make it look better.

and some splices:

image.png

latest splice comp entry. despite the asymmetrical shoulders, I liked how he turned out. when making him I was debating whether to make him a Bishop or a Lord at first, but eventually I sticked with Lord.

image.png

Ichival, a Camus wannabe knight shrouded in mystery. need help on giving his visor holes b/c I tried and it looked tacky.

Edited by singularity

I like the concept of that armor, but your shading is kinda bad.Your trim all looks kinda goopy, you don't need to use the darkest gold to outline it, don't be afraid to have the light pixels be adjacent to the armor color. Honestly, I'm also pretty bad at trim, but I find it easier to make the trim a bit wider than 1 or 2 pixels. The rest of the armor seems to be lacking anti-aliasing and the cracks/breaks in his armor seem a bit pillowy, and don't look crisp. As for making it shiny, I'd suggest reffing some official mugs, like Sain or Wallace. A lot of the enemy bosses in FE8 also had shiny armor to look at. The main thing is that there should be a lot of contrast between the lightest color and the middle color.

The girl's hair is a bit uninteresting right now, I would try to add a few more defined strands in. Her bangs also have a lot of shading on the left side (OPV) that make them look really round.

decided to try some customing again since I've got a tablet now(which makes it much easier for me).

image.png

Sir Haydn, a Great Knight and resident Jagen. armor's custom but not 100% done yet. need tips on armor shading(specifically on how to make it look shiny, I just can't pull it off well). the shoulders look a bit straight b/c I tried to make him fit into the hackbox.

erB7r.png

Imo keep on aliasing those trim lines and defining the shape until you've polished it to your liking. I did a bit of playing around with that: the shading is flat but I'm just defining the mass and curves at this point. The armor doesn't really look like it'd have a lot of shadows, but I could be reading it wrong.

To make a shiny finish I think you'll need to add another shade and/or reference a lot of curvy/similarlyStructured chrome/metal finishes to find where your horizon/reflections should act.

- You don't need to have a continuous white line for trim. Just as long as you shade it with nearby tones a line should still come out looking like a line.

- Try to avoid jaggies (where a curve will be 1pixel-2pixels-1pixel-2pixels-etc). The clearest example was on the right OPV pauldron.