Persona 5 Thread - New Teaser

Icarusu

The spinning and skating are both nice touches and gives a lot more personality and style to the presentation. I'm actually in love with this game

Anyway, sorry for my late update, but more news:

• Atlus has officially uploaded a video that loops the new trailer music for an hour. Said video shows Soejima speed drawing the four main characters. The finished result is here (my new desktop background)
  • The opening theme/music from PV01 has finally got vocals. The singer is a K-pop artist called Lyn
  • During the final segments of the concert that was streamed last night, Atlus announced that a 20th anniversary festival for Persona is happening (the anniversary is next year). They also acknowledged Persona 1 and Persona 2!
  • Persona 5 will be getting an OVA (original video animation)
  • PV03 is all PS4 footage
  • The twins are called Caroline and Justine
  • The game, content-wise, is pretty much finished. They're just polishing up the game now

I'll edit this post if I catch any more information

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also acknowledged Persona 1 and Persona 2!

The absence of their PSP openings despite the presence of every P3 and P4 opening made me dramatize it in my head as the showing of the PS1 openings being unintended and whoever did it being subsequently fired for it lol.

I quite like the new singer. At the moment she sounds mellow but I don't mind at all.

Here's the voice cast:

Jun Fukuyama (Protagonist)

Rina Satou

Aki Toyosaki

Nana Mizuki (Anne Takamaki)

Hirohiko Kakegawa

Tomokazu Sugita (Painter)

Jouji Nakata

Yuji Mitsuya

Ikue Otani (Morgana)

Kazunari Tanaka

Minako Arakawa

Mamoru Miyano (Ryuji Sakamoto)

Yuko Kaida

Masane Tsukayama

Soichiro Hoshi

Aoi Yuki

Shuichi Ikeda

Haruka Tomatsu

Yukitoshi Hori

Shown in the latest trailer: https://youtu.be/wvpOwQaqRXA?t=206

My knowledge of Persona 2 is admittedly lacklustre, but I don't think Anne is a retrend; Lisa, to my knowledge, was idolised due to her appearance--to the point of feeling isolated. Anne's apparent isolation is more so because of a rumour around school. I mean, pale skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair are well-received in Japan, so people avoiding Anne because of her appearance is rather strange, in my opinion

Famitsu has some new information on the game,

firts they revealed rhe name if the party's personas

Ryuji: Captain Kidd

Morgan: Zorro

Anne: Carmen

Also the painter's name is Yusuke Kitagawa, and apparently he is a honor student who takes an art course at the Kosei Public High School. He also lives with and is a disciple of a famous Japanese painter Madarame. His persona is Goemon.

The thieves will act and cause some trouble in the city as the Phantom Thieves of Hearts. It is said that those who receive letters of notice from the Phantom thieves go as far as confessing their own crimes, and even reforming themselves.

The thieves will target corrupt adults and steal their corrupt hearts in order to change the corrupt world.

Edited by Water Mage

Ann's persona being Carmen may give a little context to that Oni looking creature which apparently had Ann trapped in a wine glass (PV#3 2:06), as well as that sequence from the PV where the unknown person was reaching out to Ann before being stopped by Phantom and Ryuji, and that line “You are not human. You are nothing but a pathetic demon possessed by the the desire for relationships.”. Opera!Carmen (Not to be confused with the real person, who pretty much was only similar in how she died) was a smuggler who led on two men before getting bored with them. One of her suitors, a bullfighter, goes crazy and kills her.

Taken in context, one could assume that Ann is (at least perceived as) flirty as well. That oni looking figure apparently has an attack where he strikes with a volleyball. So perhaps the group's first(?) target is the captain of the volleyball team, who is similarly jealous about Ann (maybe due to her growing connection with Phantom?). As a result, due to whatever occult forces surround the school, said athlete becomes a demon and kidnaps Ann. Then Protag, Morgana, and Ryuji have to rescue her and "steal his corrupt heart", whatever that means.

Edited by Masked And Dangerous

It makes sense, that. Am I wrong when I say that all the personal Personas we've seen thus far this game are all fictional (with exception to Captain Kidd), and that they all died for committing to what defined them (with exception to Arséne)? For example, Carman was killed because one of her suitors murdered her, and Goemon was boiled to death during a failed assassination

It really bothers me that you can't play as a girl in this game either. It was the best addition to the portable version of Persona 3, and improved a lot of things which made the game's atmosphere and certain story elements worse (although clearly not all, since the villains remain unchanged, for instance). It should be a given, especially since it increases the replay value. It's kind of unfair to the female fans of the series.

Edited by Thane

It really bothers me that you can't play as a girl in this game either. It was the best addition to the portable version of Persona 3, and improved a lot of things which made the game's atmosphere and certain story elements worse (although clearly not all, since the villains remain unchanged, for instance). It should be a given, especially since it increases the replay value. It's kind of unfair to the female fans of the series.

Apparently, the creators had always intended to let the player pick the Protagonist's gender; for the original release, it could not be implemented in time.

They probably added a female main character in the portable because the story had been written without a specific gender for the main character in mind, while Persona 4 was written with a male protagonist in mind.

Yeah, while I would love to have a female MC, I think they tailored the story specifically to suit the male characters they created, and they don't want to just tack on a female character to a story designed with someone else in mind.

I do wish they had female MC's in this and 4. I guess the story would have to be slightly altered, which is a lot of work.

Apparently, the creators had always intended to let the player pick the Protagonist's gender; for the original release, it could not be implemented in time.

They probably added a female main character in the portable because the story had been written without a specific gender for the main character in mind, while Persona 4 was written with a male protagonist in mind.

I don't see it. The very point of a silent protagonist is that its shoes can be filled by anyone; the dating element of the game is essentially the only part where the sex of the protagonist matters, and that's entirely removed from the main story. The female route in Portable took the opportunity to patch up some of the game's flaws, like being unable to have social links with teammates of the same gender, but left the main story untouched. Really, I just find it odd that they don't have an option for a female avatar, especially considering the large female Persona fanbase.

I don't see it. The very point of a silent protagonist is that its shoes can be filled by anyone; the dating element of the game is essentially the only part where the sex of the protagonist matters, and that's entirely removed from the main story. The female route in Portable took the opportunity to patch up some of the game's flaws, like being unable to have social links with teammates of the same gender, but left the main story untouched. Really, I just find it odd that they don't have an option for a female avatar, especially considering the large female Persona fanbase.

Actually it's quite easy to see, if you take a look a the party members,

for example if you remove the main character from the party of Persona 3, it leaves you with 4 males, Akihiko, Junpei, Ken and Koromaru, and 4 females, Yukari, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Aigis, there's Shinjiro, but he's temporay, so it's a different case.

Bu if you remove the main character from the Persona 4 party, it will leave with 3 males, Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie, and 4 females, Chie, Yukiko, Rise and Naoto.

It's clear that the Persona 4 party was created with male protagonist in mind.

And giving Persona 4 a female main character would be still be unfair to the female players, as Yosuke would be the only romance option, because Teddie as a romance option would be weird and making Kanji a romace option would ruin his character arc, which is the same reason Junpei is not a romance option in portable, even thought it was planned at first, but they realized it would ruin his relationship with Chidori.

And creating new party members just to be a romace option, would also ruin the story, I mean, there's the Social Links, which are easier to change, but it seems most people prefer to romance the party members.

And changing the subject, I was looking around the internet, and I was suprised, why do so many people think that Anne's persona Carmen is based Carmen Sandiego?

I know that she also an outlaw, but did they all forget that she's a copyrighted character?

Yet they all seem so sure that Anne's persona is Carmen Sandigo.

Edited by Water Mage

I don't deny that Carmen Sandiengo is the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the persona's name, my problem is that some people are really adamant about her persona being Carmen Sandiego, forgetting thst she's a copyrighted character.

Also, Anne's persona is most likely this Carmen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen

It's fits the whole stealing hearts thing, and if you look at some pictures of the play, and at the clothes of the actresseses that played Carmen weared during the play, you will notice how much they look like the persona. Especially the roses.

Edited by Water Mage

Actually it's quite easy to see, if you take a look a the party members,

for example if you remove the main character from the party of Persona 3, it leaves you with 4 males, Akihiko, Junpei, Ken and Koromaru, and 4 females, Yukari, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Aigis, there's Shinjiro, but he's temporay, so it's a different case.

Bu if you remove the main character from the Persona 4 party, it will leave with 3 males, Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie, and 4 females, Chie, Yukiko, Rise and Naoto.

It's clear that the Persona 4 party was created with male protagonist in mind.

And giving Persona 4 a female main character would be still be unfair to the female players, as Yosuke would be the only romance option, because Teddie as a romance option would be weird and making Kanji a romace option would ruin his character arc, which is the same reason Junpei is not a romance option in portable, even thought it was planned at first, but they realized it would ruin his relationship with Chidori.

And creating new party members just to be a romace option, would also ruin the story, I mean, there's the Social Links, which are easier to change, but it seems most people prefer to romance the party members.

That's...not even an argument. Having an exact symmetry when it comes to the cast is simply not mandatory. Your arguments for the dating aspect of Persona 4 being weird for women is also strange, given that it makes even less sense in Persona 3: Ken is 11, Shinjiro dies, Junpei falls in love with someone else and that leaves you with Akihiko, one of the least developed and interesting characters in the entire series.

That's...not even an argument. Having an exact symmetry when it comes to the cast is simply not mandatory. Your arguments for the dating aspect of Persona 4 being weird for women is also strange, given that it makes even less sense in Persona 3: Ken is 11, Shinjiro dies, Junpei falls in love with someone else and that leaves you with Akihiko, one of the least developed and interesting characters in the entire series.

Usually, these days, most JRPGs, have exact gender symmetry when it comes to party members, admittedly it's not mandatory, but there's cleary a pattern. And despite being 11, Ken is a romance option, in the female route, and you can actuallly prevent Shinjiro from dying if you romance him.

In Persona 4 however, one of Kanji's problems is sexual orientation, making him a romance option would ruin that, and Teddie doesn't even understand the concept of romance(granted, neither did Aigis at first) making Yosuke the only romance option.

Edited by Water Mage

Would it be possible if spoilers for any of the Persona games could be put under a spoiler tag? Persona 5 could bring in newcomers to the series, and they probably don't want the previous titles to be spoiled for them. Just something to consider, folks

Anyway, on the topic of romance, I wonder if this game is going to allow same-sex romance this time. Unused audio files in 4 suggested Yosuke was at first bisexual, so I don't think Atlus are afraid to experiment with it

Would it be possible if spoilers for any of the Persona games could be put under a spoiler tag? Persona 5 could bring in newcomers to the series, and they probably don't want the previous titles to be spoiled for them. Just something to consider, folks

Anyway, on the topic of romance, I wonder if this game is going to allow same-sex romance this time. Unused audio files in 4 suggested Yosuke was at first bisexual, so I don't think Atlus are afraid to experiment with it

Yeah, you're right, sorry I'll fix it.

Also, I do think it's quite possible that you may be able to romance the male characters, since the game's theme is about freedom and breaking free from society norms, so bisexual characters would fit the theme quite well.

Also I get the feeling that Phantom/Yusuke the painter is going to be a really popular pairing.

Is that related to why they ended up making him homophobic/immature about sexuality?

Also, I do think it's quite possible that you may be able to romance the male characters, since the game's theme is about freedom and breaking free from society norms, so bisexual characters would fit the theme quite well.

I like how you think

Is that related to why they ended up making him homophobic/immature about sexuality?

I couldn't tell you. Yosuke is a character that clearly dislikes male homosexuality, yet I don't think it's something he fears (that is what a phobia is, remember: a fear of something). He might have been written that way so that, if he was indeed bisexual at first, his confession to the MC/Yu could have been seen as an "acceptance and/or truth" sort of thing. Until that point, however, he could have been aggressive/nasty/immature whenever his sexuality would be brought up. But, obviously, that would (Persona 4 spoilers) make him similar to Kanji, so I think Atlus might have wanted to separate the two a bit. That's just speculation on my part, though. I also think that him having romantic feelings for the MC wouldn't have worked since a fair bit of his character revolves around him dealing with Saki. But that's just me delving into theory-craft now, which I don't particularly feel like doing when it comes to a game I haven't scrutinized properly

Edited by DodgeDusk

Nah, I think homophobia is collectively used by society with a specific meaning that supersedes what the literal suffixes might translate to.

I know Yosuke got a lot of hate for being homophobic, but I can remember acting similar when I was in middle school/junior high, and of course I'm super ashamed of that now, but I can understand the idea of it being immaturity as opposed to bigotry.

Changing the subject for a bit, I was rewatching the trailer, and I was wondering, is that demon boss that used a volleyball has some connection to the sin of lust?

I remember in one of the first trailers that the seven sins were named alongside Morgana. Emptiness was also named, and another word that I don't remember.

Do you think the bosses in this games have will be themed after the seven sins?

Nah, I think homophobia is collectively used by society with a specific meaning that supersedes what the literal suffixes might translate to.

I know Yosuke got a lot of hate for being homophobic, but I can remember acting similar when I was in middle school/junior high, and of course I'm super ashamed of that now, but I can understand the idea of it being immaturity as opposed to bigotry.

Eh, maybe. I'm just saying it as I see it

Yosuke's an asshole, but he has his redeeming qualities

Changing the subject for a bit, I was rewatching the trailer, and I was wondering, is that demon boss that used a volleyball has some connection to the sin of lust?

I remember in one of the first trailers that the seven sins were named alongside Morgana. Emptiness was also named, and another word that I don't remember.

Do you think the bosses in this games have will be themed after the seven sins?

The Seven Deadly Sins are hinted at, yes. Every character, with exception to Morgana*, wears a pair of gloves that share a colour with one of the sins when in their burglar attire; MC has red gloves, representing Wrath; Ryuji wears yellow, representing Greed; Anne wears pink, representing Pride; and Yusuke (the painter) wears light blue, representing Sloth. It wouldn't surprise me if the bosses were also themed after the Seven Deadly Sins, though I'm not seeing how the volleyball boss has any obvious connections to it

Of course, if speculation is true, and he is a stalker of Anne, then perhaps he has a lust for her

*I remember "Luxuria" covering Morgana during a section of the PV01 trailer. Since she has dark blue colours on her, it seems safe to presume that she's connected to Lust
Edited by DodgeDusk

Eh, maybe. I'm just saying it as I see it

Yosuke's an asshole, but he has his redeeming qualities

The Seven Deadly Sins are hinted at, yes. Every character, with exception to Morgana*, wears a pair of gloves that share a colour with one of the sins when in their burglar attire; MC has red gloves, representing Wrath; Ryuji wears yellow, representing Greed; Anne wears pink, representing Pride; and Yusuke (the painter) wears light blue, representing Sloth. It wouldn't surprise me if the bosses were also themed after the Seven Deadly Sins, though I'm not seeing how the volleyball boss has any obvious connections to it

Of course, if speculation is true, and he is a stalker of Anne, then perhaps he has a lust for her

*I remember "Luxuria" covering Morgana during a section of the PV01 trailer. Since she has dark blue colours on her, it seems safe to presume that she's connected to Lust

Good call, I forgot that the sins had that represent them, but I thought gluttony was yellow, but it's actually orange.

So were missing Gluttony(orange), Envy (green), hollowness and nothingness, whose names I remember now, so I was mistaken about emptiness.

About their colors, both could be either white, which is often associated with hollowness and nothingness, and black, which is the absence of light and color.

So could we assume that there are still 4 party members there are yet to be revealed?

And the reason I thought the demon boss was connected to lust is because the Devil arcana can be used to symbolize lust, and there those statues around it, which made me think of lust.

Now that I think about it, could Morgana's arcana be the Devil? And could be Anne's arcana be the Tower, due to it's connection with pride?

I think I will do a research to see which of the 13 arcana can be associated with the seven sins.

Edited by Water Mage

So could we assume that there are still 4 party members there are yet to be revealed?

And the reason I thought the demon boss was connected to lust is because the Devil arcana can be used to symbolize lust, and there those statues around it, which made me think of lust.

Now that I think about it, could Morgana's arcana be the Devil? And could be Anne's arcana be the Tower, due to it's connection with pride?

I think I will do a research to see which of the 13 arcana can be associated with the seven sins.

Perhaps. I'm not too familiar with these "hollowness" and "nothingness", however

I see. I must have missed those statues, then. It's a decent assumption to make, aye

That would be really interesting! Party members in 3 and 4 only stayed between Magician and I believe Fortune, so expanding the arcana for party members would be nice

Edited by DodgeDusk