Will affinities ever return?

Dragoncat

Just what it says. In every game but RD they appear to be there just because, with no specific purpose, correct me if I'm wrong...in RD each chapter is assigned one and characters with the same one get bonuses.

I see them as FE's version of zodiacs/horoscopes. Since in BS(lol, BS) the one you have is determined by birthmonth...they're just an interesting thing that breathes more life into the FE worlds. So I was a little disappointed when they were taken out for the newer games, but Awakening gave everyone birthdays, so I can assign them affinities in my headcanon. Chrom is wind, for example. I go by the BS ones only I replace anima with earth, just because I like it that way. So we have: fire, ice, wind, earth, dark, light, thunder.

Would you like to see them return, what are your opinions on them?

I liked affinities.

They made choosing supports more interesting than random.

As in, pairing Eliwood with Lyn or Ninian. The shipper in me says Ninian but the Crit freak says Lyn. Without affinities, the shipper in me would win... But with them, the Crit freak has a chance.

I liked affinities for the reason BrightBow mentioned, so I wish they'd come back too. I also felt like some characters had affinities that fit their personalities. Elincia having Heaven, for example, and Heaven makes me think of peace and kindness and all that, and that stuff is written all over Elincia. Then Reyson with the Fire affinity, he really DOES seem fiery, especially for a heron laguz. And the list could go on.

Oh, not to mention the inside joke with Titania being Light and Soren being Dark. XD

I liked affinities for the reason BrightBow mentioned, so I wish they'd come back too. I also felt like some characters had affinities that fit their personalities. Elincia having Heaven, for example, and Heaven makes me think of peace and kindness and all that, and that stuff is written all over Elincia. Then Reyson with the Fire affinity, he really DOES seem fiery, especially for a heron laguz. And the list could go on.

Oh, not to mention the inside joke with Titania being Light and Soren being Dark. XD

Actually, yes, I agree with this.

When I first saw affinites, I thought they were only there according to the character's personality.

I just thought they were cool. Wish they'd come back. ;-; But lets hope Dark affinity is still kinda rare. The only characters I can think of having it right off the bat are Tharja and maybe Lon'qu or Henry.

Also, since my birthday is in November, I'm an Ice affinity! :D

Edited by Draco

What inside joke?

Agreed. Also, Boyd with fire...self explanatory. Mist with water cause she's calm and serene...

Also, since my birthday is in November, I'm an Ice affinity! :D

Thunder for me, since I was born in April.

Edited by Dragoncat

Another good one was Lugh and Raigh as fire and ice. Made even better in FE7 with Nino and Jaffar having the same affinities... As the twin they act most like.

Hector as thunder was random in FE6, but FE7 gave him Armads which he couldn't use in FE6. In other words, FE7 gave him the thunder axe.

Edit: I'm September, so Fire.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I hope it does come back. It added some interesting strategical depth that the more recent games lacked.

Edit: I was born in May, so I'd have a wind affinity.

Edited by Rollertoaster

FE 13 was boring since class determined stat boost. If they did affinities again I'd probably enjoy it more and have an idea on what units are better at which job.

I'm a Light affinity therefore crits 4 dayz.

What inside joke?

Soren and Titania disagreeing so much and being total opposites, even down to color scheme to an extent (Soren wears mostly black, Titania mostly silver/light yellow). Black = dark, and silver/light yellow = light. I just laughed when I noticed. lol

Ike and Elincia have opposite affinities too (Earth and Heaven, respectively), which is probably a nod to how they're so different, yet also so alike.

Edit: I was born in May, so I'd have a wind affinity.

Same here.

Soren and Titania disagreeing so much and being total opposites, even down to color scheme to an extent (Soren wears mostly black, Titania mostly silver/light yellow). Black = dark, and silver/light yellow = light. I just laughed when I noticed. lol

Ike and Elincia have opposite affinities too (Earth and Heaven, respectively), which is probably a nod to how they're so different, yet also so alike.

Makes sense now. I haven't played Tellius in awhile...but I can see how they'd disagree on a lot.

Yeah, and you pair Ike and Elincia...but Soren x Titania I don't see happening. So that makes the two opposite affinities things different.

Makes sense now. I haven't played Tellius in awhile...but I can see how they'd disagree on a lot.

Yeah, and you pair Ike and Elincia...but Soren x Titania I don't see happening. So that makes the two opposite affinities things different.

Yeah, opposites don't ALWAYS attract. Haha. Besides, I ship Titania with Rhys. I think he has a Fire affinity though, strangely enough. This guy definitely isn't fiery. lol

Just what it says. In every game but RD they appear to be there just because, with no specific purpose, correct me if I'm wrong...in RD each chapter is assigned one and characters with the same one get bonuses.

As far as the GBA games are concerned they affect support bonuses, so when a support is active, they get appropriate bonuses, such as increased Crit chance or defence.

Not sure about the later games though...

I liked what RD did and gave the maps affinities too. I'd like to see this again. In fact, RD introduced a lot of mechanics I liked, like the ledges and climbing them. Mounted units obviously couldn't climb ledges, but yeah. I hate that Awakening took these all away.

I like affinities for a lot of the reasons presented. I think balance is a poor concern considering even in Awakening there are various optimum combos for supports and the like. You can't get away from it, so embrace the flavour!

It's funny how FE6 is the only game to actually address them in relation to the canon of the game rather than just pure mechanics though.

http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/scripts/supports/dayan-yodel/

Just what it says. In every game but RD they appear to be there just because, with no specific purpose, correct me if I'm wrong...

They determine increases to Attack/Defence/Hit/Avoid between supporting units... just like in any other Fire Emblem game with affinities.

They determine increases to Attack/Defence/Hit/Avoid between supporting units... just like in any other Fire Emblem game with affinities.

GBA ones bosted critical and critical avoid which is only possible through side by side supports in those games.

Meanwhile supports before the GBA didn't boost Attack or Defense,but boosted accuracy, avoid, critical and critical avoid. FE has always been rather inconsistent with those.

Edited by Woodshooter

Proves that affinity is determined by birthmonth. Sometimes it matches the personality but not always. Rhys' birthday must be in one of the fire months.

Meet Raigh and Lugh.

Raigh and Lugh are twins.

Raigh and Lugh have different affinities.