So nintendo has announced a NEW 3DS

ClassyWolf

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/29/nintendo-unveils-new-3ds-3ds-xl/

So, nintendo has announced a new 3ds, an uppgrade to the previous one with some tweaks like a second "c-stick" or what they are called, as well as a better cpu and it's able to read amiibos with the lower screen.

Oh, and they announced that they will release xenoblade chronicles on it.

I'm, surprisingly, hyped for this, because this feels more like an upgrade than a cash grab.

If you rather watch a viedo of this:

Thoughts?

i'm buying it. my og 3ds hurts my hands. i want to play icarus, but simply can't. i've owned it for 3 years now and have gotten through half of it.

i'm thinking that the accelerated hardware games are gonna be scarce, given how shitty the dsi only games were. xenoblade will be available, yeah, but i don't think very many good games will be after that.

all in all, i'm super hyped for this product. nintendo is still the only company that has ever gotten handhelds right.

I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. Looking at the Japanese price, it's not very different from the original's and I paid the $250 for the 3DS on launch. I've been looking to upgrade anyways, so the timing is perfect.

i'm buying it. my og 3ds hurts my hands. i want to play icarus, but simply can't. i've owned it for 3 years now and have gotten through half of it.

I dunno, i found it to be no problem whatsoever to play KIU. If my hands ever started hurting (rarely occured), i'd just place my 3ds on my lap and it would be all good

In regards to the actual topic, i personally think that coloured buttons dont seem as classy as the non-coloured ones. and the second analog is waay smaller than i thought it would be, but that may not be so bad if i get used to using it. Looks like a decent "new" handheld, but i dont think i'd personally buy one when it comes out, unless my current 3DS (the first one, in pretty great condition) somehow screws up or is damaged

Nintendo, fire your marketting department. That's a shitty name.

Then fire yourself. Because this is shitty way to thank early adopters of your system.

I can deal with not having extra features, bigger screens, similar stuff like the 3DS XL but exclusives? Fuck you.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

I have an original 3DS, I'll admit it's quite awkward to play some games (but I did somehow manage to play and complete Ace Combat 3DS on it). I wonder how I will be able to effectively play SSB4 on it.

But I'm afraid I will have to make do with this because the Wii U is currently top of my most wanted consoles list due to SSB4WiiU.

New 3DS! Bound to make you feel like an idiot for buying our stuff early~

As someone who doesn't want to buy another one of these without a real reason, I hope it doesn't get too much exclusive stuff. But hey, I think it's super cool that Nintendo found a way to let developers make bigger games.

Nintendo, fire your marketting department. That's a shitty name.

Then fire yourself. Because this is shitty way to thank early adopters of your system.

I can deal with not having extra features, bigger screens, similar stuff like the 3DS XL but exclusives? Fuck you.

At least people know it's new (unlike the WiiU). Maybe 3DSi would have been better?

The 3DS came out in 2011. I think we can move past the early adopter argument. Keep in mind that the DSi came out four years after the DS launch, so this is par for the course. It too had exclusive games, all five of them. Only three were released in the west and nobody remembers them. Going further back, the Game boy Advance SP came out two years after the original. You buy the system knowing there will be a better version coming soon.

We're not even sure the system will get to the West this year.

I don't think they should have made xenoblade for the 3ds. They should have redone it for the wiiu. You know, since the sequel will come to that system (as far as I know).

Early adopters? the 3DS has been around for 3 years.... I think we're past that point lol (This situation reminds me of the GBC)

Anyway, I'm skipping this like I did with the DSi, will wait for their next completely new handheld.

I agree the name is terrible. I vote for Super 3DS

Edited by L95

Did they improve the display resolution? This bothers me the most, I'd hope 3DS LL only games would feature a better resolution.

i'm thinking that the accelerated hardware games are gonna be scarce, given how shitty the dsi only games were. xenoblade will be available, yeah, but i don't think very many good games will be after that.

all in all, i'm super hyped for this product. nintendo is still the only company that has ever gotten handhelds right.

IMO the ps vita is a great handheld aswell, but it's more tailored for a Japanese audience (at least most of the games are jp only).

Edited by Assurhaddon

Buying it because my OG 3ds is dying.

Early adopters? the 3DS has been around for 3 years.... I think we're past that point lol (This situation reminds me of the GBC)

And yeah, I agree with this. Releasing a new 3ds with some few exclusive games is no big issue when the 3ds has been out for 3 and a half years already

Edited by NOBODY

Did they improve the display resolution? This bothers me the most, I'd hope 3DS LL only games would feature a better resolution.

IMO the ps vita is a great handheld aswell, but it's more tailored for a Japanese audience (at least most of the games are jp only).

from what i've read, it won't feature a higher res.

I'd rather get a 3DS XL. I've had my original 3DS since it came out and the paint is wearing off the D pad so its time for an upgrade finally. But the *New* 3DS? I'll pass.I don't think it'll last without a price drop and even then I feel like its going to struggle outside of Japan.

I'd rather get a 3DS XL. I've had my original 3DS since it came out and the paint is wearing off the D pad so its time for an upgrade finally. But the *New* 3DS? I'll pass.I don't think it'll last without a price drop and even then I feel like its going to struggle outside of Japan.

Why would you get an outdated version of the console when Nintendo is, likely, pulling more exclusives for the New 3DS from now on?

How is it going to struggle when it's going to be the de facto standard version of the 3DS? The old one is getting discontinued, you know.

I hope it has improvements for old games, too. The 3DS was capable of nice graphics but its CPU was quite lacking.

How is it going to struggle when it's going to be the de facto standard version of the 3DS? The old one is getting discontinued, you know.

I hope it has improvements for old games, too. The 3DS was capable of nice graphics but its CPU was quite lacking.

Wait what?

Where did you see that the original will be discontinued?

The New 3DS is also going to have an XL version.

I'll probably will not be buying the new 3DS. I bought by 3DS last year and I'm in no need of an upgrade since it works fine and if the new 3DS exclusives are like the DSi exclusives, I'll see no reason to get one (I already own Xenoblade on the Wii, so the new 3DS remake isn't going to make me shell out money for it). And if Nintendo starts putting 'must have' exclusives on the new 3DS, I might very well not buy it since I wouldl feel like I got screwed for buying a 3 years old system that stayed relevant for just 1 year after my purchase (the DS was relevant for 7 years. I would expect the 3DS to stay relevant until 2016 at the very least).

Wait what?

Where did you see that the original will be discontinued?

Nowhere, but I think it's pointless to keep it in the market when the new one does everything the old one does, but better. Definitely not like a DS/DSi case where it could be argued the new one misses features from the old one, such as GBA compatibility.

I've seen a lot of arguing back and forth around tumblr and in other site. I was a little upset because I heard that the games fro the new 3DS won't work for the og 3DS, but then I've been thinking back that the L button on my 3DS isn't really working and my R button needs to be pressed down hard which annoys me. So I'll probably buy the new one... Depends on when the US version is going to come out, either that or the Wii U.

Ugh! Look at all these games coming out for consoles I don't own!