Overrated and underrated Fire Emblem games.

Jiac

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the other FE games didn't get the attention that Awakening got on their respective release dates.

1) Half of the games in the series are Japan only.

2) None of the other game got good review scores.

3) Many of the earlier ones predate the internet.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

FE7 is overrated. Called by many the best fe game, but in the end it wasn't really as enjoyable as expected. Still, its nice to have played before fe6, and that will boost your love for fe6 much more.

1 : getting bashed around a lot lately but it was pretty good for its time, so under

2 : under

3 : probably over in Japan and udner everywhere else

4 : used to be over

5 : it has a vocal minority that praise it to heaven but not much haters, it's about right

6 : it's about right, the game doesn't deserve too much praise

7 : over in the West

8 : -

9 : -

10 : under

11 : over

12 : over

13 : over

In what universe is Shadow Dragon overrated? The game gets put on blast all the time.

Edited by Irysa

this

overrated/underrated as words just devolve into this

actually fe1 is definitely underrated because i have not been able to find a single review of the game

actually fe1 is definitely underrated because i have not been able to find a single review of the game

it's because no-one cares

fe2 is actually the mostest underratedest because it's the bestest

(est sucks tho)

Edited by Tryhard

In what universe is Shadow Dragon overrated? The game gets put on blast all the time.

I don't see why it wouldn't. After FE10 daring with new mechanics that were pretty neat additions if lacking polish, they scrap most of those by creating a remake of a game that's already be remade once (and reimagined in a way if you consider the massive amounts of parallels FE6 has with both FE3 books). FE11 probably would've sold a lot better if it would've been a new world with new ideas expanding on what the last title offered, but just like the FE5 to FE6 transition they cut a ton of new improvements to make an overly simplistic game with an even more simplistic plot. What it did add on the other hand :

New difficulty levels : probably the addition I liked the most for the freedom it offers, just a bit bummed out by the lack of a Prologue in anything but Normal mode

Reclass : it's done rather awkwardly by the bad balance of characters where you can just put the disposable ones in terrible classes and keep the better characters in the best classes

Gaiden requirements : probably the most counterintuitive requirement for a completionist player, a questionable addition that forces you to sacrifice characters to access to the conent that's actually new

Item merging : actually a pretty sweet possibility that I'm missing in Awakening

The game shows its real age because they barely added a coat of meat on the bare bones that FE1 was back in 1990, which was still impressive back in the day. It showed a lack of creativity that ended up making FE12 Japan only (considering FE11 was book 1 and that FE3 was hugely popular in Japan, it had to be done) and was perhaps one of the reasons Awakening was even made as such since the 3D games barely sold in Japan while the retro titles were a disappointment overseas.

Assuming FE11 was actually something fresh, perhaps we'd still be at thirteen games but I'm theorizing that Awakening would've been very different and less polarizing. But instead they decided to follow FE6's example, which I believe made FE6 a huge step back compared to Jugdral's innovative entries. Back then they did have a reason because the creative director left the team to form his own studio and start a similar series, but with FE11 I feel like they tried to appeal to Japanese audiences after Tellius' failure and it ended up falling flat because it didn't catch on overseas because the game was a thin coat of varnish on an outdated fossil.

How does that make it overrated though? People ding FE11 for all of those things all of the time.

Also FWIW, FE13 does have item merging.

He's saying that it's justifiably put down by a lot of people, I think. Shadow Dragon just wasn't the kind of remake it should've been. Pokemon remakes get the recently introduced mechanics and all that, so there's no reason Shadow Dragon couldn't have game mechanics that RD introduced, like the ledges. But it was a way simpler game made right after, so it didn't meet many people's expectations.

He's saying that it's justifiably put down by a lot of people, I think. Shadow Dragon just wasn't the kind of remake it should've been. Pokemon remakes get the recently introduced mechanics and all that, so there's no reason Shadow Dragon couldn't have game mechanics that RD introduced, like the ledges. But it was a way simpler game made right after, so it didn't meet many people's expectations.

That still doesn't make it overrated...

That still doesn't make it overrated...

i think* dio's point is that there are people who stick up for fe11 and that nobody ever should EDIT: and by that point "anybody rates it" -> overrated

aw c'mon you know what the star means by now

Edited by Integrity

2) None of the other game got good review scores.

Mystery of the Emblem and Binding Balde both got what's equivalent to a 9/10 by Famitsu. Sacred Stones and Thracia 776 both got 8.75/10. Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, Heroes of Light and Shadow, and Sword of Fire all got 8.5/10. Radiant Dawn got 8.25/10. And Genealogy of the Holy War got 7.75/10. All from the same magazine.

Over here, Sword of Fire got 8s and 9s all over the place. Same with Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance. Radiant Dawn got the infamous 6/10 score from GameSpot, and a 9.5 from Nintendo Power, with everything else being 7s and 8s. Shadow Dragon, just got plain old 8s. How are ANY of those review scores (excluding the obvious exception) NOT good?

Edited by Just call me Al

surely to state a game is "overrated", that game has to be at least well-liked generally, otherwise you're just saying that it gets any undeserved praise because it's shit

how is it overrated that fe11 receives some praise from a select few and everyone else basically hates it

this is why I don't like the word

Edited by Tryhard

basically the words under- and overrated have as much meaning as mary sue and now we can /thread

thracia 776 is simultaneously over- and underrated: some masturbate furiously to it and others call it an unfinished broken pile of shit

*snip*

That's a lot of words to not answer the question. :V

Are you basically saying because there is a small (not even vocal) minority of people who liked Shadow Dragon, that the game is overrated on the whole? That doesn't hold weight when even going by the last poll we had on this forum, 11 was ahead by a landslide in terms of being the worst game!

Most of the people who like Shadow Dragon don't assert it as being definitively amazing in anything but the script, and recognise all it's flaws.

Edited by Irysa

That's a lot of words to not answer the question. :V

Are you basically saying because there is a small (not even vocal) minority of people who liked Shadow Dragon, that the game is overrated on the whole? That doesn't hold weight when even going by the last poll we had on this forum, 11 was ahead by a landslide in terms of being the worst game!

Most of the people who like Shadow Dragon don't assert it as being definitively amazing in anything but the script, and recognise all it's flaws.

Agreed. As someone who loves Shadow Dragon and has played through it many times, I fully recognize and admit that the gameplay is poorly designed. New combat mechanics + old map design and enemy placement = ya done goof'd.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a stupid thread then why did you bring it back to forefront after it was dead for eight days? :rolleyes:

In any case, there is really no way to determine which games are over or underrated. You may as well just list your favorite and least favorite games.

Edited by Starman

In any case, there is really no way to determine which games are over or underrated. You may as well just list your favorite and least favorite games.

Although Awakening is my least favourite FE game, I still think Path of Radiance is more overrated, given that everybody seems to praise the game highly (unlike Awakening, which has as many haters as it does fans).

Edited by NinjaMonkey