FE4: Dark magic

Len1million

Hi, I was wondering on how I can allow some player characters to use dark magic (for example: Quan can use C-A Dark magic and Ethlin can use all the dark magic including Loptyr). What I did was I gave Deirdre the ability to use Dark magic and gave her major Loptyr blood but it seems that player characters cannot access dark magic. What am I supposed to do? Hex editing? I have no idea with hex editing so if it DOES need hex I would like to request for a simple guide on how to let Deirdre (and Julia) to use Dark Magic. Thanks.

EDIT: Also goes with other unobtainable items like Meteor, Bolting, Helswath, Mjolnir, Falaflame etc.

Edited by Len1million

You need to use the Player Weapon Editor module. If it's not an available weapon, your characters don't have access to it. There are 140 items for the player, and 2 blank spaces if you want to add some. You can also rearrange things if you want.

If you give the character a seige tome, the character can't move, so I recommend against that. Giving the player a Hel tome causes some bugs which I haven't fully finished investigating yet, but it's mostly just graphical issues with your attack and it also has some bugs in the arena.

If you want the character to have different holy weapons than normal, you'll also need the character to have the right Holy Blood.

due to the system having repairable weapons, the game keeps track of them all in a list and designates an item number to each one

if you change them around, I recommend changing the item numbers in the Player Weapon module and not swap around the locations of the weapons themselves (with the character editor) without knowing what you're doing; the same weapon appearing in multiple places can cause bugs, not to mention clones disappearing on reloading a save

Edited by Lamia

Also, be warned that attempting to have someone use a weapon for which their class has no defined animation will cause a freeze. (all magic has the same character animation for a given class, so diadora would not have an issue). Additionally, the only way that i know of that allows quan to use dark magic without also allowing fin and every generic dukeknite in the game to use it would be to create a duplicate dukeknite class that is identical except for a dark magic rank/animation. Also, you may have to make the dark tome purchase prices non-filler and add "empty" dark tome types/a way to properly handle them into the game(iirc, the game lets you chose what item type each weapon turns into when empty. I don't remember if that's associated with the weapon type or character weapon module though.)