Dawnlit Embers brainstorming/interest check

Dragoncat

Been hammering out a system for this for awhile now...thought I'd put something out in the open. Long time ago I was trying to develop a fangame that replaced RD, but still had some parts of it like the Crimean rebellion. Looking back, the "epic plot" I had was full of bad cliches and needed patching up big time. But I'd like to keep some of it, even if I have given it a better name. That being said, if it succeeds as an RP, I'll probably try fangaming it again. I'm posting things here for your feedback.

First of all, villains. Daein is being a little bitch like it was in PoR. This is probably the cheesiest thing you've ever heard, but...the main baddie was Nyra, daughter of Ashnard. She was raised as a common soldier, when Daein lost the war her mom finally told the truth about who her father was. She then did some research and decided that Ashnard was murdered, not taken out for the good of the world, and aims to get ahold of the medallion to finish what he started. So...she could use some work. Dunno if I should keep her parentage, maybe she can instead have an important noble/one of the four riders as a parent? But she would still need important enough parents to be able to be queen. Of course if you think that idea ISN'T a terrible cliche, feel free to say so.

The two side villains were given to me by an internet friend who I haven't talked to in ages, who said I could do what I please with them since he created them for my project. Valmas is a Begnion noble whose wife died in childbirth, along with their son. He didn't take that well. He thinks the goddess must hate him. Nyra convinces him she can help him get his revenge on the world, he'll do whatever she tells him to without question. Pretty much a pawn type of henchman. The second is Xemar, a black dragon. He's power hungry, and after he failed to raise in the Goldoan ranks as much as he liked, he tried to kill the one who was promoted in his place, so Deghinsea exiled him. He ends up in Daein, where Nyra was impressed by his power and ambition, so she made him another one of her generals. When he was given to me, he had no motive. Just that noone knew why he was there, so I gave him one.

So yeah, another war is brewing...I had a common mercenary group get caught up in it, like in PoR. The Greil Mercenaries...were in the service of Elincia as part of her royal guard. Before you say you can't see Ike agreeing to it...I also had him father the Crimean prince, so he pretty much had to. Now I think it makes sense that it wouldn't happen that quickly. Blame Ana for that. Now I'm leaning more towards them being in hiding like they were in RD and coming out when they were needed to stop Lucia's execution. The protagonist group is Crimean, and the story will probably start around the time the rebellion does. The protagonist group looks up to the Greil Mercenaries, aims to find them and all that, and wonders why they're not taking mercenary jobs anymore as far as they know.

Feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. I know this is a big case of history repeating itself, but is it a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion? Plot wise...should I keep it?

Edited by Dragoncat

Okay, que copy and paste. Nowhere near done...I'm mostly looking for feedback on the plot.

Group Affiliations

There are three affiliations that your group can have: Mercenaries, Hunters, and Rogues. The one you pick will determine the kind of goals you will have in each chapter. Logically, you’ll probably interact more with groups that share your affiliation. You can engage in combat with any player group if the situation calls for it.

Mercenaries are warriors for hire. They fight beside the military of the country that hired them, and their goals are usually to smite their employers’ enemies or run bandits out of villages.

Hunters focus on the non human threats of the land: the monsters. They know the most about fighting monsters, so their goals usually involve getting rid of infestations.

Rogues fight for themselves, very rarely do they pick sides. They are more interested in treasure and gold than anything else. Their goals vary, but they often act as merchants.

Level System

Depending on how well you did in the chapter, you will receive level points to distribute among your characters. Meeting the goal for your affiliation is a big part, but not all of it. The goal is just a guideline for what you’re supposed to be doing. You will also be judged on how much you wrote and if you interacted with other groups. For example, if your healer heals someone else’s character, you will get more points than if you kept to yourself. The maximum amount of level points you can get per chapter is 15. You are then free to edit your sign up post to show the level ups. Levels go up to 100, and promotions happen at level 50. Laguz promote too! When they do, they lose their weakness. So a storm hawk will no longer be weak to arrows and wind magic. Beorc might gain a weapon type on promotion, but they will still have the weakness of their class if it exists.

Example:

Bob has an archer at level 32, a wolf at level 47, a cavalier at level 30, and a myrmidon at level 48.

Bob receives 14 level points. He gives 4 to his archer, 5 to his wolf, and 5 to his myrmidon.

He now has a level 36 archer, a level 30 cavalier, a level 52 alpha wolf, and a level 53 swordmaster.

Shops and equipment

Some chapters will have shops in them. Your gold is directly linked to your levels, the total level of all your characters is how much gold you currently have. So for the above example, after leveling, Bob has 171 gold and that’s how much he can spend for that chapter. The gold amount resets after each chapter, so you never have to subtract when you buy something. Just remember your total level = your total gold.

You can buy from the shop at any time during the chapter, as long as it makes sense. If the shop is located in town and you’re in the forest outside of town, you obviously can’t buy anything at the moment. All shops have unlimited stock. But you can only have two unique weapons at a time, so don’t go buying 50 silver swords. And of course you can only buy what your character can use. You can have a character buy something they can’t use for a teammate who can, like if they get separated, as long as you put it in the right inventory.

Examples that ARE allowed:

A warrior with a steel axe and a steel bow.

A shaman with an eldark tome and a duskdrain tome.

Examples that ARE NOT allowed:

A paladin with two iron lances(no duplicates)

A swordmaster with an iron sword, a steel sword, and an armorslayer(only two weapons at a time)

Edited by Dragoncat