Just Play Fire Emblem:Blazing Sword First Fire Emblem Game what game next?

rabbyradical

I played Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword and think it is a very good game. I am wondering what game is best to play next. I read that Shadow Dragon is base on first Fire Emblem but I might not want to play because it is on later game console so might be way better. Blazing Sword is FF6 prequel but that is in Japanese and the online ones are hacks. Also older games could get me annoyed because of future games being upgraded.

Second question if appropriate: Hector's storyline worth playing? I am not going play again until after a couple video games.

Edited by rabbyradical

It depends on what you're in the mood for. Shadow Dragon is very straight forward.

If you really enjoyed the GBA style, going with the Sacred Stones would be a good option and offers branching promotion paths and it's a good next step forward.

Path of Radiance is also great. It's quick-paced, and has some of the best music, characters, and one of the better stories in Fire Emblem.

If you want a bit more of a challenge, there is Radiant Dawn, which aims to test your adaptability to different styles of strategy. You will get tossed around to different teams with varying capabilities.

As far as Shadow Dragon is concerned, it's relatively straightforward. The biggest update is the ability to switch classes on the fly. Shadow Dragon also has the infamous H5 mode, which would give anyone a run for their money

Each game has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Hector's story is a bit more humorous, and goes into his life story a bit. Enemies are also a bit different (more archers/snipers and pegasus knights roaming about) and it's slightly tougher, but there are also exclusive chapters to Hector's story.

I think Path of Radiance is in 3D. Is the gameplay much different because of that or is it pretty much the same but in 3D? As for Shadow Dragon I am wondering if Marth is worst than Eliwood in which is hardly possible.

On PoR: Nope. The gameplay is not that much different.

On SD: Actually, Marth is worse than Eliwood.

If you want to play the FE 7 sequel I would recommend FE 6, but you need to patch it in English to understand it (unless of course you understand Japanese). It's a bit harder due to no tutorial and the RNG is a bit "screwy."

Edited by Zephyr

My biggest annoyance in Blazing Sword was dealing with Eliwood. Is it a joke to make the main lord the worst sword fighter in the game. Are the main lords bad with Path of Radiance or Sacred Stones games? I would probably play one of those two games first. I wouldn't like a hacked game.

FE6 is probably the second hardest FE (second only to FE5)

My biggest annoyance in Blazing Sword was dealing with Eliwood. Is it a joke to make the main lord the worst sword fighter in the game. Are the main lords bad with Path of Radiance or Sacred Stones games? I would probably play one of those two games first. I wouldn't like a hacked game.

Dafuq you talking about? Every Eliwood I've ever had has been beastly.

As for the other lords: Eirika is basically Lyn with more STR and a horse on promotion and Ephraim and Ike are considered unit-wise to be two of the best Lords in the series.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I just looked at the Amazon price. gag!!!! I guess Sacred Stones is my next game.

I won't be surprised if it goes well over $70, just so you know Blazing Sword cost $100+ today

Eliwood is very middle of the road in terms of his growths, so it's very easy to get a bad Eliwood, but it's also easy to have an amazing Eliwood.

As for choosing PoR, good luck finding it.

I can attest to that:

10701959_769410576435677_741365236087695

Balanced all around, I got screwed at res though, only got 1 res when I reached level 10

Edited by pianime94

Dafuq you talking about? Every Eliwood I've ever had has been beastly.

PEMN. Both Eliwood's stats and growth are bad. One of worst lord in series (similar to Roy).

Topic: FE8 is gud. Fun and nice, but short and easy. Try FE5 if you feel confident.

FE5 is the hardest fire emblem for a first time player if hard dificulties are not included. I highly recomend holding off on it untill you have played a few other ones. FE4 is probably worth playing because it does a lot of awesome stuff, but it has issues that make many people dislike it(cheaf among which is somewhat subpar pacing, and it's very different from all the others. Both of those require roms and translation patches to play in english/ Shadow dragon is not as good and has some odd design decisions (who in god's name thought that having all the bonus chapters be accessable only by killing party members was a good idea?), but it simplifies things a lot. It does have the advantage of being reletively cheap ($25 used at gamestop), and it is definitely still worth playing. Try to get sacred stones too though.

On SD: Actually, Marth is worse than Eliwood.

Ok, I'm starting to get tired to see this in different places both in theese forums and other forums.

Gameplay wise, here are their growths:

Marth:

HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res 80% 50% 6% 40% 50% 70% 20% 2%

Eliwood:

HP S/M Skl Spd Luk Def Res 80% 45% 50% 40% 45% 30% 35%

Personality wise, read more than just the story, read his discussions with the recruited characters aswell.

And in the story itself Marth has a lot of good moments, his vow to return to Altea, a lot of his converations with Malledus (where he acctually answers), the end of wooden cavalry, the ending of Star and Saviour.

I acctually very much enjoy the growth Marth goes through in Shadow Dragon, while it has many problems, undenyable, it's writting is fairly sollid in that they took a fairly basic story and made it interesting, and they had a villain who was very threatning, Gharnef, who had reasons for sparing Marth... and had a backstory and a motive, while very stereotypical "take over the world".

I think neither Eliwood nor marth are as bad characters as people make them out to be, but thats me.

On topic, I would recomend, Sacred Stones as next, maybe Shadow Dragon, if you can live whitout some mechanics like rescue and support conversations and don't mind the kinda... crappy, graphics. After that I would say Path of Radiance and then Radiant Dawn.

I personally think you should try to play FE8 next. FE9 is very good and an excellent second/third FE game but, as previously observed, it's hard to get a physical copy. There is the option of emulating it but I can't really help you (I played a physical copy back before they were worth their weight in gold). FE11 isn't bad but it's not exactly the most compelling game and you definitely shouldn't play FE10 before FE9 (it's a direct sequel).

FE1 to FE6 (as well as FE12) are only available in Japanese (as far as I know - they may also be in Chinese or Korean but that doesn't really help). This doesn't have to be a problem, as all of them have English patches which you can use with an emulator and most of the translations are quite good. However, most of these games are either very punishing (FE5, FE6), peculiar and difficult for a newcomer to adapt to (FE2, FE4) or have aged poorly (FE1) so I wouldn't recommend you to play them yet.

I notice no-one have mentioned FE13 yet. It's new (and therefore readily available) but very divisive - it introduced a lot of elements that long-term fans of the series were not keen on. I'd say it was worth playing but I'd recommend you play one or two of the older games first to get a better perspective on the series.

Basically, I think you should play FE8.

Edited by Byte2222

Wow a lot more advice. Thanks. I am going to play Sacred Stones next or Shadow Dragon. Which ever one I get my hands on first.

You'll feel very at home with Sacred Stones. All three of the GBA games are very similar. That also means you probably won't see some huge jump forward in terms of improvement though.

Personally I find Shadow Dragon extremely boring and I hate the art style, but to each their own. It's cool to see Marth's story and the original game play out.

I would probably recommend PoR or Awakening over Shadow Dragon. Even with the updates for the remake, Shadow Dragon still feels like the very old game that it's based on. PoR being 3D really doesn't change anything at all, it just adds cutscenes and uses character models instead of sprites. It's still a top-down isometric view with the same gameplay as the GBA games. I wouldn't play RD without playing PoR first either, you'll appreciate RD a lot less if you do.

Awakening is extremely newcomer friendly and even though there's a fair bit of backlash about it on this particular site, there's a reason why there's so much hype around it. It's also one of the easiest FE games so you might want to get to it sooner rather than later, before you get used to FE enough that it's not much of a challenge anymore. It's also set in the same world as FE 1, 2, and 3, and obviously the remakes for 1 and 3 though so you might want to play those first just so you recognize places. It's kind of neat to know what happened in a given spot on Awakening's world map in FE2.

Bottom-line: My three recommendations would be Sacred Stones if you want something very similar to FE7, Awakening if you want to see the latest hotness with the highest review scores (I didn't say it was the best one, don't release the hounds on me just yet), and PoR if you're looking for something more challenging than the other two.

As for getting your hands on Sacred Stones and PoR... all I'm going to say is that this site probably wouldn't even exist without emulators.

As mentioned many times I think Fe 6 should be fun its a sequel and was my third fire emblem game and for you it be your second just be prepared for more slightly tougher situations like enemy phase reinforcements and no Hector.

As long as you don't spoil the story for yourself, the story will be great with familiar faces and believe me its way better.

I wouldn't play RD without playing PoR first either, you'll appreciate RD a lot less if you do.

As someone who likes FE10 far more than FE9, and played it before any other game in the series.... All I must say is.... What? Just what? FE9 actually detracted from my liking of FE10, though not by much.

As mentioned many times I think Fe 6 should be fun its a sequel and was my third fire emblem game and for you it be your second just be prepared for more slightly tougher situations like enemy phase reinforcements and no Hector.

As long as you don't spoil the story for yourself, the story will be great with familiar faces and believe me its way better.

You might lack Hector in FE6... but god tier mages are common in that game...

As someone who likes FE10 far more than FE9, and played it before any other game in the series.... All I must say is.... What? Just what? FE9 actually detracted from my liking of FE10, though not by much.You might lack Hector in FE6... but god tier mages are common in that game...

FE10 is one of those sequels that builds on the plot of the previous game. Some players are able to piece together what happened, but many are just kind of confused. Also, a completed fe9 save file gives bonuses in fe10, some of which can never be otherwise obtained.