GameStop National Open Tournament!

Anacybele

I just posted about it in the general discussion thread, but I think it's big enough to get its own! The Smash Bros. Facebook page announced open tournaments in a bunch of GameStop locations that will start on the 4th, right after launch day!

Also, Doofina's launch hype tourney miiiight have to be postponed a bit now. ^^;

Everything we need to know is here.

Notable Rules:

- Only default characters are allowed, no unlockable ones (yay I can use Ike. <3)

- It's using four player matches

- All items are on

- Matches are 6 minutes long

- There is no stock count

Prizes range from a 3DS XL system, a copy of the game, free hotel stays, just OMIGOSH THESE PRIZES!

I'm gonna get my butt over to one of these, as one of the locations is LIKE 20 MINUTES FROM HERE, OMG YES. I want to go not just to play and have fun, but to finally meet some people and make friends. And perhaps stop being a shy quiet person in real life... I don't care if I don't do well either, I just want to have fun! I don't need a 3DS XL or another copy of the game anyway lol. Though those hotel stays are quite tempting since I love to travel. Heh. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Notable Rules:

- Only default characters are allowed, no unlockable ones (yay I can use Ike. <3)

- It's using four player matches

- All items are on

- Matches are 6 minutes long

- There is no stock count

Prizes range from a 3DS XL system, a copy of the game, free hotels stays, just OMIGOSH THESE PRIZES!

I love tournaments, but only watching them.

I'm way too terrible to get past the first round. IMO, the best prize to me is either a 3DS XL system or Free Hotel Stays. Hotel stays are amazing, but I'm really only 14, and don't know what I'd even do xD. I'd so go back to Canada if I could.

And tournament is October 4th! I'd already have a copy of the game! But the one who'd win would be extremely lucky if he/she did not buy a copy yet.

So you're entering? Good luck on October 4th (isn't that the day Australia gets it?)!

I hope to enter and represent SF! But two things gotta happen for that to work.

1. One of my parents must take me to the correct GameStop because I still don't have a driver's license. >.>

2. I have to be one of the first 64 people to show up and they can line up as early as 9AM. So I'd need to get there early.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm pretty sad because if I was still with my grandparents, I could easily go to the one in Ellicott City.

Buuuuuuuuuut, I'm in Richmond, because college, so I can't.

I missed VGC '14 Worlds because I had to pack, and now I'm missing this because I'm not in Maryland anymore.

qq ;n;

I even practiced to the point that I could KO Mario within 10 seconds. ~o3o~

If it had been one week later, I would've been able to go, too, since I have to go up on the 10th, anyway. ;n;

Just... the timing... :/

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I hope to enter and represent SF! But two things gotta happen for that to work.

1. One of my parents must take me to the correct GameStop because I still don't have a driver's license. >.>

2. I have to be one of the first 64 people to show up and they can line up as early as 9AM. So I'd need to get there early.

Be Peach. Her ground floating will help you tons!

Can she still do that in Smash 4? Ahh, what am I thinking? They'd never. I'd love to go and play as Peach, but I don't think that'd work out for me. There are others who are more experienced and Smash, and would overkill me.

Beware though, some people might set up tents outside to get there extremely early. Or is that only for Black Friday xD?

How unfortunate for me. I would've definitely joined the tournament but I'll be attending a bazaar for community service. But hey at least at the bazaar there will be a Brawl tournament for a free copy of Smash 4. In which I can join the Brawl tourney once my shift is over.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Be Peach. Her ground floating will help you tons!

Yeeah, sorry, but I'm using Ike. For a bunch of reasons. lol

- I'm representing an FE forum

- He's beast in 4 player matches

- He's the only FE character I'll be any good with since Robin will be a whole new experience to me, I was never great with Marth, and I have zero interest in Lucina

- He's my FAVORITE yo

- It could net me some Ike fan friends :D

Edited by Anacybele

There's one like ten minutes away from me.

That being said...no way. Matches revolving around who can steal the most kills aren't exactly appealing, especially if all items are on.

And there aren't even prizes for non-first place winners.

If it was this Saturday I might go, because HYPE. On the fourth? I'd rather play with my friends.

Chicago is the closest one to me (and would still be the closest even if I still lived in Ohio), and I'm certainly not eager to handle Chicago traffic just for a small chance of being one of the first 64 people there (very small chance, since basically everyone in the entire Great Lakes region would have to come to this one store if they want to be in the tournament). I mean, I borrowed $200 (on top of the $100 I had already borrowed) from my sister specifically so I could avoid Chicago traffic by taking a ferry across Lake Michigan when I moved from Ohio to Minnesota.

And this is even though I'm not getting the 3DS version (now that I finally paid my sister back the full $300, all of my extra money is going towards buying a Wii U).

Well it's not surprising that Las Vegas doesn't have one.

Freaking deserts.

I don't mind the items. I can crush people with Ike's spanking new blue flamed Great Aether. ^^ He CAN nab three people at once with it! Bwahaha.

You're basing that off your Brawl experience.

You can't combo into it anymore because grabs throw them TOO FAR.

Expecting to get three people on a regular basis is wishful thinking.

That final smash also got nerfed.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You're basing that off your Brawl experience.

You can't combo into it anymore because grabs throw them TOO FAR.

Expecting to get three people on a regular basis is wishful thinking.

That final smash also got nerfed.

Did I say I expected that?

Did I say I was going to try comboing into it?

If you mean nerfed because of the new KO zones, then yeah, that does stink.

As much as I want to go to the Ellicott City one, I can't attend it since I'm a scrub at SSB (I'm hopeless with home consoles the few times I played on them), have no personal transportation, and am a college student so college, whether I like it or not, has to come first.

That said, good luck.

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, September 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, September 25, 2014 - No reason given

As much as I want to go to the Ellicott City one, I can't attend it since I'm a scrub at SSB (I'm hopeless with home consoles the few times I played on them), have no personal transportation, and am a college student so college, whether I like it or not, has to come first.

That said, good luck.

Posted · Hidden by Balcerzak, September 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, September 25, 2014 - No reason given

That said, good luck.

Don't sweat it! Even if you don't get a chance to play, you'll still be able to WATCH (I think...?).

And if you can't watch, you can play the game on your own. The tournament is the day AFTER release, so Smashers will have their own copies.

Whoa, posting that four times wasn't necessary... o.o

But thanks! I need to actually get to the GameStop on time first though.

Sorry about that -- Google Chrome on my phone is having issues with SF -- on the first time I hit post, I somehow got an error message saying that the post was made too quickly... there was lag or misinterpretation from my phone that caused the multi-posts.

Sorry about that -- Google Chrome on my phone is having issues with SF -- on the first time I hit post, I somehow got an error message saying that the post was made too quickly... there was lag or misinterpretation from my phone that caused the multi-posts.

Ah, I see. It's no biggie, don't worry. :P

Also, even if I don't get to participate in the tourney, I'd like to stick around and still meet some fellow gamers. They'd all be Nintendo fans that play Smash, after all! And I can probably play with some of them outside the tourney matches. I'll be sure to post here how things go whether I become a tourney participant or not. ^^