Dragoncat's art thread: 5/20/15: Pokey mons(bug, dark, dragon)

Dragoncat

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, that's a pretty nice map there for just pencil and paper! I still don't really like the idea of that jungle being there in place of the desert (since Gallia already has a lot of jungle), but it's your choice. :P

I made a map of Altarais a long time ago myself, kinda should be redone. lol

Jungle and forest are similar, but not the same. Jungles usually get more rain...like I said before, deserts are never that close to lakes and rivers, so something with a wetter climate needs to be there.

Plus in RD Marcia calls the Begnion wyvern riders in part 2's prologue "wyvern monkeys". Monkeys live in jungles. If there was no jungle on Tellius she wouldn't be able to say that. Don't ask where the elephants are...probably around the same area. Refering to Boyd asking if the moose ribs were from an elephant in chapter 8.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. His hair in human form is silver...I don't think hair color always has to reflect the color of the animal form for birds and dragons. Hence why Rannoc and Strixal both have blue hair, yet nothing on them is that color shifted.

In Xemar's case, his hair color shows up on his horns and claws. Eye color also shows up on his spines and tail spike. It's actually dark blue. Originally I had those dark gray, but it looked too similar to black. So I went over them with blue ^_^

Yeah, Nasir has blue hair while being a white dragon while the black dragons all have green hair. Naesala has blue hair too.

Beast laguz also don't need to have hair colors that match their fur in beast form. Kyza has silvery hair while his tiger form is blue. Ranulf's hair is also slightly lighter than his cat ears. So yeah, you're fine there, definitely.

I've done this myself since Kiara is a cream-colored cat but has yellowy hair in human form. :P I made Vorcas the white tiger have white hair though, any other color wouldn't have looked as good. But he's based off of the real life white tiger. Icy blue eyes and all.

I thought the black dragons had black hair? And Kyza is a slate blue imo. Like Zihark would look if he was a laguz. I've noticed that the tigers hair matches that mane thing that goes down their neck/shoulders shifted. Kyza's is silver, Mordecai's is light blue, Muarim's is dark green. But the colors have to be similar, there probably can't be one with purple hair that's red shifted.

Didn't know you had a tiger OC. He sounds cool, pun completely intended.

No, they have very dark green hair, like Soren. Almedha's hair is the most noticeably green though.

And yep, I do! Vorcas is somewhat similar in personality to Frederick since he's obsessed with his duty. lol

Time for a WIP refsheet!

capture_by_rubydragoncat-d8jvzs5.png

Didn't make the background, it was a stock image. Reffed Jill and that PoR concept art with the myrmidon and wyvern lord when drawing her clothes...and I bet you didn't know about the scar. It was mentioned in that semi smut fic, Sparking Embers...that title is a reference to her and Boyd's affinities. Basically, it talks about how Boyd finds the scar sexy, it means she's tough like him. Anyway I hope the pic of the scar is accurate in terms of how the strap goes over the shoulder. There was female torso references, but...they were mostly nude and I didn't want that.

Heh, that's a neat stock image. Where'd you find it? I might want to use it sometime.

As for the Cerai drawing, nothing really notable to point out since it's your usual cute style and all, although she looks like she's floating from the way you drew the feet. :P

I actually don't remember who made it, but search DA or Google for old paper texture.

The feet are supposed to be facing frontward, meh...feet are hard.

Forgot to add that sometime after Naroc is born, but before Ciara, Boyd gets a scar across his chest. And she's like "Dude! I take back calling you crazy when you said mine was hot." xD

Edited by Dragoncat

It's mostly the fact that the letters are glowing (?) yellow against brown parchment, and that blends together and makes it hard to see the letters clearly. I can see them better when I'm up against the screen, but that's an awfully uncomfortable position to be in.

If you give the black text a white outline, that should improve readability dramatically. Right now the contrast/tonalValue between the text and what the text lies on isn't that wide (blackVsWhite is best, gets worse if you shorten that to middleVsmiddle/middleVsDark, etc).

Typically I do a white glow on very high opacity and low spread (1~3px), then another glow for your particular color at a lower opacity and higher spread (3~10px).