Everything Wrong with Fire Emblem Awakening

having to reset because certain enemies have certain skills doesn't sound like "ideal"

Having to L+R+START even in Preparations Menu? maybe it is ideal for you , but for most people , i'm not so sure. Unless i use Grind , with Grind it would be obviously easy , but i hate having to Grind to complete a game. Repeating the same thing over and over for trivialize the game is not something i would be proud of.

Lunatic+ has its flaws, but people exaggerate how bad it actually is.

Vanilla Lunatic is looking up guides.

Lunatic+ is for real men

Lunatic+ tests you to think on the fly.

It is VERY PUNISHING, yes... but it is also good at being dynamic and ACTUALLY FORCING YOU TO THINK instead of bruteforcing everything.

Also, both of you are exaggerating it a bit too much with the "if certain enemies have certain skills". Even the Hawkeye hammer bro in Chapter 1 can be killed by your MU instead of Frederick insta-dying.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When L+ described the itself as "For Fire Emblem masters", it wasn't kidding. I'm not a Fire Emblem master, so it isn't for me. But knocking on it because I can't do it simply isn't right.

Lunatic is ideal for challenge runs since things are still mostly static. The early game of L+ is too brutal though. This is due to the early game restricting you from the most important feature: the prep screen. But judging an entire difficulty from the first 4 or so chapters?

• C-rank support with Chrom (requires some forethought, but not hard)
  • 13 Atk with Thunder (either 9 MAG and C Tomes, or 10 MAG)
  • 11 SPD (this is a +SPD Robin; otherwise you'd need 5 SPD procs, which is somewhat unreasonable)

Also :

• Move Chrom south of Stahl, take Robin, Switch, blast the Barbarian. This is the chanciest move, since you need to land both hits and either get a DS or a crit. But with a ~14% crit rate and ~44% DS rate, it's not as rare as you'd think. It's about 50/50 for double-hit + a DS, or a ~23% chance for an outright OHKO on a crit. (~60%)

Still Luck Based

Still Luck Based

By that argument, FE is entirely luck based because RNG.

It is a calculated risk in a mostly reliable clear method.

Remember the very earliest No DLC clear for Apotheosis?

=Anna Strategy=

However, I could not find a consistent way to beat Anna. Anna requires a bit of luck. Morgan can easily kill Anna, but he doesn't have enough Defense and HP to tank Anna's Aether. Instead, rely on Dual Guard, Miracle, and Aether not activating.

Probability of Morgan surviving Anna's Vantage

= 1 - (Probability of Morgan not surviving Anna's Vantage )

= 1 - P(Aether activates) * P(Dual Guard fails) * P(Miracle fails)

= 1 - .65 * (1 - .29) * (1-.63)

= 82.9%

So, chances of beating Anna is in your favor, even if it is not as consistent as everything else I designed.

There were people saying that was entirely luck based.

"Requiring a little bit of luck" in both cases is akin to "not getting wrecked by a gamble bandit", which you know... HAPPENS.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The difference is that in other FE you can actually use another strategy , this one is the more safe and more likely to win way. And still i need to rely on good level ups and another things. But it is one chapter , aniway. Not so much of a strugle , i had more problems with Chapter.21 in Lunatic , and at the end i gave up , ran into the easy way and solo it with a Sorcerer Avatar because i already spent like 2 weeks in that chapter. I've come a long way off of that , and if i were to play that again sure i would have more chance , but it still would be annoying as hell

Edited by Avi448

Well, just say Lunatic+ isn't the mode for you?

Just stop saying it's freaking luck based just because your frustrated?

The difference is that in other FE you can actually use another strategy , this one is the more safe and more likely to win way.

I'm pretty sure Vengeance Vantage is the only way to win no DLC Apotheosis, even if there are variations within it.

In a way, Awakening is more luck-based than older games because the power curve is higher. You could theoretically get so RNG-screwed that the game becomes pretty much impossible above Normal (though the chances of that are really low), whereas a skilled enough player (definitely not me though lol) can beat the older games with 0% growths.

Edit: Please don't misunderstand. I have no problem with Lunatic+.

Edited by isetrh

Why are we debating Lunatic+? It's not supposed to be fair anyway.

However, not being fair doesn't mean it isn't beatable through skill. Bullshit difficulties in games are never "fair", but if you mastered the game, you'll pull through it sooner or later. ID Software states when you choose Nightmare difficulty in Doom that it isn't "remotely fair", because of infinite respawning enemies and high speed projectiles, but a skilled Doomer will beat it easily.

Edited by Waifu Cordelia

The difference is that in other FE you can actually use another strategy , this one is the more safe and more likely to win way.

You could use another strategy here if you wanted to (like an overlevelled +Def Avatar tanking everything). This one just happens to be the most reliable one that's been found.

As Interceptor pointed out, the big point of randomness in that strat comes very close to the beginning, making it comparatively not a big deal to reset for. Compare that to getting a few terrible levels in earlier FEs- you want to reset for those, you lose a lot of time. I actually consider Sacred Stones (even on Easy) to be harder than Awakening because resets are much more punishing in terms of time loss (yes, I know tedium =/= difficulty, it's still how I feel). And guess what: there's absolutely nothing (short of RNG manipulation and battle saves) you can do to mitigate the odds of getting bad levels. In Lunatic+, you can at least plan ahead. If you're not satisfied with a required 60% kill, make a better strategy yourself- I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible.

And again, if Lunatic+ isn't for you, there's no shame in that. At all.

I'm pretty sure Vengeance Vantage is the only way to win no DLC Apotheosis, even if there are variations within it.

Once you get high up enough on the challenge ladder it actually stops working because you can't reach 100% DS anymore. Vengeance by itself is kind of the new thing (fight boss at full HP, take tons of damage from boss, strike back with Vengeance, repeat with multiple units for KO).

It's certainly a very powerful strat and the easiest way to win lower challenges, though.

Lunatic+ has its flaws, but people exaggerate how bad it actually is.

Vanilla Lunatic is looking up guides.

Lunatic+ is for real men

Lunatic+ tests you to think on the fly.

It is VERY PUNISHING, yes... but it is also good at being dynamic and ACTUALLY FORCING YOU TO THINK instead of bruteforcing everything.

Also, both of you are exaggerating it a bit too much with the "if certain enemies have certain skills". Even the Hawkeye hammer bro in Chapter 1 can be killed by your MU instead of Frederick insta-dying.

i would not say exxgerating because your guide on lunatic+ says to reset if there are enemies with certain skills

now you can argue that it is only one way to go through the chapter, but i can argue that you're still dealing with enemies with skills equivalent to that of the FE10 mastery skills

Still Luck Based

Fire emblem has always had elements of luck. This is fact. So if you are still complaining about this, perhaps Fire Emblem isn't for you.

Perhaps people are angry that they feel like they are forced to use a specific strategy and can't use anything else. At least, that's what I observe.

now you can argue that it is only one way to go through the chapter, but i can argue that you're still dealing with enemies with skills equivalent to that of the FE10 mastery skills

For what it's worth, they're actually very different- all of the Lunatic+ skills have 100% activation rates. They may be devastating, but they're also completely reliable after they've been rolled- which is the basic principle behind the idea that Lunatic+ can be mastered.

Mastery skills, meanwhile, have low activation rates and devastating effects. They're basically giant, flashy +crit skills, and there's not very much you can do to prepare for them aside from stockpiling HP and Def.

I think we're getting a little off topic here so let me get this back on track, i'm going to cover a lot of stuff so I apologize in advance if and when I repeat what someone else has said, anyway~

Everything Wrong with Waifu Emblem: Awakening

Spoilers!! (duh)

-Nobody seems to notice that Buttocksinator is wearing Plegian dark mage robes, not even Frederick, who accused him of being a Plegian spy. Chrom clearly knows what they look like, as he identifies Henry as such just by his outfit. Are you telling me that not a single one of the Shepherds has seen a dark mage? How is that possible? Isn't it their job to keep Ylisse safe from bandits? Most of which are Plegian?

-Besides Validar, not a single person in this game knows Buttocksinator before he meets Chrom. Where the hell was he living? Has he been in a cave for 19 years with his mother? Where the hell is his mother? is she dead? what was he doing in that field in the first place? Was he going into town to get a loaf of bread? why doesn't anyone in town recognize him?

-I can understand skill, but Buttocksinator can tell an enemies stamina, speed, and defensive capability at a glance. Wouldn't you have to have extensive knowledge of human anatomy to be able to gauge a persons combat effectiveness instantly like that? He's clearly never had any kind of formal training, his mother ran away with him when he was a baby. I highly doubt she could carry enough gold across country to put him into some sort of Ylissean institute for murder and medicine, so i'm assuming He learned his craft from his mother. Was she a former Plegian general and Biologist?

-What possible reason could Frederick have for not wanting to stay overnight at the town? it's not like the capital is burning, they aren't in any hurry. Instead of giving the prince and princess a warm cot to sleep in, Frederick decides to sleep in the middle of the forest with no food, water, or tents to make it even easier for the suspected spy (myself) to murder them all in their sleep. This is quite possibly the stupidest decision Frederick has ever made.

-Nobody asks Marth why she just jumped out of the same magic portal that the zombies who nearly killed Lissa came from.

-Nobody notices Marth has no Adams' apple.

-Buttocksinator doesn't question why Marth has such shapely buttocks for a male.

-Why does Lucina even wear a mask anyway? she hasn't been born yet, who the hell would recognize her? None of the other future children (with the exception of Gerome) felt the need to hide their identities

-Why don't any of the future children show up until after the two year gap? I thought number one on the going-back-in-time-to-do list was to keep Emmeryn from getting killed. Why did Naga even let Gerome take the journey anyway when he initially had no intention of saving the future? If she let him go back just to let his pet lizard go why didn't everyone else just go through to save themselves from a doomed future? Lucina said there were other people in her time, but fuck them apparently because nobody cares about that by the end of this game.

-Laurent had been around looking for his mother for 3 years before Gangrels death and he never once thought to just go to Ylisstol? isn't the shepherds garrison like, walking distance from the castle?

-The pegasus knights are so insultingly incompetent it's not funny, they let bandits in from Plegia on a consistent basis even though border patrol is one of their main duties, and Phila didn't even show up until AFTER the assassins coming after Emmeryn were already dead. is there no such thing as a night watch? How the hell do you get that many people inside a castle without anyone noticing?

-I thought the whole reason Virion was in Ylisse was to recruit allies to combat Walhart, why doesn't he warn anyone about the conqueror until the ships literally show up at the Feroxi's doorstep?

-Marth shows up out of the blue, and based on the result of one battle, Basilio decides to make Marth his new champion. Because fuck loyalty and fuck Lon'qu.

-Basilio literally knows nothing about Marth, what if he turned out to be a spy or assassin? How has Basilio not been killed yet when he's this recklessly stupid?

-Why would Marth represent the West Khan in the tournament? Winning means Ylisse won't get Feroxi reinforcements and Gangrel will steamroll all over it. Why would Lucina risk the fate of the entire world on her Ego? There is no sound logic in that unless she is just incredibly arrogant. Even if she threw the match she runs the risk of being injured, this is essentially a deathmatch, one wrong move could see get you killed or seriously injured and Chrom isn't holding anything back. Also wouldn't Buttocksinator be able to tell if Marth is holding back with his extensive combat know-how? He's seen him fight before, it's not like he doesn't know what Marth is capable of.

Okay this isn't halfway done yet but i'm getting tired of typing and I really want to play The Legend of Zelda so i'll continue this later. Bai!

Lots of really good questions there, but a few of them actually have answers (mostly courtesy of the official comic).

Lots of other people could go through the portal... Except the castle the portal was in was literally collapsing when Lucina and co went through (see the opening movie, that's what that scene is of), and Grima was right behind them. It doesn't have much to do with Naga's intentions either, since she was dead (the children created the portal through some ritual she set up long ago).

It's entirely possible that Laurent was lost. For five years? Sounds a little implausible, but you do find him in the middle of nowhere...

Validar likely teleported his mooks into the castle- it's a power he's shown to have.

Marth represents Basilio because she knows one of the gemstones is in Ferox and she wants to stick around to look for it. Basilio offered her a golden excuse to have access to everything (and she likely knew he had the stone, too), she'd have to be a fool not to take it. She likely didn't know she'd be fighting Chrom ahead of time.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

One thing that bugs me now is that Cordelia and Panne don't use the "tall" build for females. 8U It's available for My Unit, and Cordelia/Panne are both fairly tall in their sprities (both same height as Chrom) so they should be using a taller model.

I think we're getting a little off topic here so let me get this back on track, i'm going to cover a lot of stuff so I apologize in advance if and when I repeat what someone else has said, anyway~

Everything Wrong with Waifu Emblem: Awakening

Spoilers!! (duh)

-Nobody seems to notice that Buttocksinator is wearing Plegian dark mage robes, not even Frederick, who accused him of being a Plegian spy. Chrom clearly knows what they look like, as he identifies Henry as such just by his outfit. Are you telling me that not a single one of the Shepherds has seen a dark mage? How is that possible? Isn't it their job to keep Ylisse safe from bandits? Most of which are Plegian?

-Besides Validar, not a single person in this game knows Buttocksinator before he meets Chrom. Where the hell was he living? Has he been in a cave for 19 years with his mother? Where the hell is his mother? is she dead? what was he doing in that field in the first place? Was he going into town to get a loaf of bread? why doesn't anyone in town recognize him?

-I can understand skill, but Buttocksinator can tell an enemies stamina, speed, and defensive capability at a glance. Wouldn't you have to have extensive knowledge of human anatomy to be able to gauge a persons combat effectiveness instantly like that? He's clearly never had any kind of formal training, his mother ran away with him when he was a baby. I highly doubt she could carry enough gold across country to put him into some sort of Ylissean institute for murder and medicine, so i'm assuming He learned his craft from his mother. Was she a former Plegian general and Biologist?

-What possible reason could Frederick have for not wanting to stay overnight at the town? it's not like the capital is burning, they aren't in any hurry. Instead of giving the prince and princess a warm cot to sleep in, Frederick decides to sleep in the middle of the forest with no food, water, or tents to make it even easier for the suspected spy (myself) to murder them all in their sleep. This is quite possibly the stupidest decision Frederick has ever made.

-Nobody asks Marth why she just jumped out of the same magic portal that the zombies who nearly killed Lissa came from.

-Nobody notices Marth has no Adams' apple.

-Buttocksinator doesn't question why Marth has such shapely buttocks for a male.

-Why does Lucina even wear a mask anyway? she hasn't been born yet, who the hell would recognize her? None of the other future children (with the exception of Gerome) felt the need to hide their identities

-Why don't any of the future children show up until after the two year gap? I thought number one on the going-back-in-time-to-do list was to keep Emmeryn from getting killed. Why did Naga even let Gerome take the journey anyway when he initially had no intention of saving the future? If she let him go back just to let his pet lizard go why didn't everyone else just go through to save themselves from a doomed future? Lucina said there were other people in her time, but fuck them apparently because nobody cares about that by the end of this game.

-Laurent had been around looking for his mother for 3 years before Gangrels death and he never once thought to just go to Ylisstol? isn't the shepherds garrison like, walking distance from the castle?

-The pegasus knights are so insultingly incompetent it's not funny, they let bandits in from Plegia on a consistent basis even though border patrol is one of their main duties, and Phila didn't even show up until AFTER the assassins coming after Emmeryn were already dead. is there no such thing as a night watch? How the hell do you get that many people inside a castle without anyone noticing?

-I thought the whole reason Virion was in Ylisse was to recruit allies to combat Walhart, why doesn't he warn anyone about the conqueror until the ships literally show up at the Feroxi's doorstep?

-Marth shows up out of the blue, and based on the result of one battle, Basilio decides to make Marth his new champion. Because fuck loyalty and fuck Lon'qu.

-Basilio literally knows nothing about Marth, what if he turned out to be a spy or assassin? How has Basilio not been killed yet when he's this recklessly stupid?

-Why would Marth represent the West Khan in the tournament? Winning means Ylisse won't get Feroxi reinforcements and Gangrel will steamroll all over it. Why would Lucina risk the fate of the entire world on her Ego? There is no sound logic in that unless she is just incredibly arrogant. Even if she threw the match she runs the risk of being injured, this is essentially a deathmatch, one wrong move could see get you killed or seriously injured and Chrom isn't holding anything back. Also wouldn't Buttocksinator be able to tell if Marth is holding back with his extensive combat know-how? He's seen him fight before, it's not like he doesn't know what Marth is capable of.

Okay this isn't halfway done yet but i'm getting tired of typing and I really want to play The Legend of Zelda so i'll continue this later. Bai!

For the last one,it's pretty obvious, Lonqu may have hurt a few of the shephards really badly in that tournament, and it probably resulted in their death by grima. She obviously had to go easy on whoever she hit to not make tough wounds