Anyone here who's only jrpg is Fire Emblem?

evilbeepskyrim

I'm a teenager who plays mainly "mainstream games"(CALL OF DUTY, assassin creed, clash of clans, western rpgs, etc...). I'm more of a fan for dark, realistic fantasy worlds( basically western rpgs) and i've gone through games like dragon age and The Witcher(the videogame equivalent to Game of Thrones). Jrpgs to me, look like overly romanticized versions of medieval Europe, and I can never connect to the the world, since its not very relatable to real life. However I've always enjoyed the characters in jrpgs because they are more easier to relate to than the worlds they live in. The jrpgs I've played are Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem, dragon quest is awsome for being simple and just having game worlds that aren't too romanticized. Fire emblem, simply for the great characters. But compared to George R.R. Martin's or Andrej Sapkowski's(author of the Witcher saga) works, they simple beat out the stories found in jrpgs. The characters aren't black and white, they are more grayed out and realistic. The villains are people who you can usually understand their motives. And the whole atmosphere is very authentic when its compared to real history. Overall, I feel Western rpgs tend to have more fleshed out worlds and character than jrpgs.

I haven't played a huge amount of jrpgs, but I just started Xenoblade Chronicles, and MAN IS IT GOOD. They really nailed the atmosphere, the setting is really unique, the art style is beautiful, the world is massive and there's tons to explore, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. If you can get your hands on a copy, it's DEFINITELY worth a play.

Radiant Historia, Disgaea, Golden Sun, and obviously Xenoblade are some you might want to try out. As they're pretty awesome JRPGs. I also disagree with medieval. I think western RPGs go for the "medieval" type feel to it. Most are "post-medieval" like a renaissance.

>Call of Duty

>Realistic (relatable to real life)

But really. There are so many JRPGs out there. Golden Sun, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Trails are a few great ones I played. I wanna play Mother, too, eventually. Maybe Tales of. And Xenoblade.

Also, I don't see how you can claim that Western RPGs are more "fleshed out" when you haven't played many JRPGs...

I like turn-based combat, which seems to be more prevalent in JRPGs. Western RPGs seem more action-based.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I'm a teenager who plays mainly "mainstream games"(CALL OF DUTY, assassin creed, clash of clans, western rpgs, etc...). I'm more of a fan for dark, realistic fantasy worlds( basically western rpgs) and i've gone through games like dragon age and The Witcher(the videogame equivalent to Game of Thrones). Jrpgs to me, look like overly romanticized versions of medieval Europe, and I can never connect to the the world, since its not very relatable to real life. However I've always enjoyed the characters in jrpgs because they are more easier to relate to than the worlds they live in. The jrpgs I've played are Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem, dragon quest is awsome for being simple and just having game worlds that aren't too romanticized. Fire emblem, simply for the great characters. But compared to George R.R. Martin's or Andrej Sapkowski's(author of the Witcher saga) works, they simple beat out the stories found in jrpgs. The characters aren't black and white, they are more grayed out and realistic. The villains are people who you can usually understand their motives. And the whole atmosphere is very authentic when its compared to real history. Overall, I feel Western rpgs tend to have more fleshed out worlds and character than jrpgs.

That's why that Fire Emblem is my utmost favorite series of all time!

Jrpgs aren't always set in the middle ages... or whatever how you want to call them.

Xenoblade Chronicles is an example.

FE13.

Future.

I haven't played a huge amount of jrpgs, but I just started Xenoblade Chronicles, and MAN IS IT GOOD. They really nailed the atmosphere, the setting is really unique, the art style is beautiful, the world is massive and there's tons to explore, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. If you can get your hands on a copy, it's DEFINITELY worth a play.

Radiant Historia, Disgaea, Golden Sun, and obviously Xenoblade are some you might want to try out. As they're pretty awesome JRPGs. I also disagree with medieval. I think western RPGs go for the "medieval" type feel to it. Most are "post-medieval" like a renaissance.

Yes...it is...

It sets apart from most of the gameplay in RPG's when you just bash the enemy I win. Xenoblade(See here. I love it.) sets apart that which you actually got to strategize to win as some bosses cannot be phased without chain attacks, power of the Monado, enchant for example.

I used to not play any other JRPG other than FE and Pokemon, I also used to be a fan of realistic gaming (I still like games like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and stuff), recently, however, I've been playing some JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade in particular is one of my favourite games now. Also, personally I think it is possible to have a romanticized fantasy world (as people have said before, it's not always medieval Europe, look at Xenoblade or half the FF series) and still have very relatable characters who go through relatable struggles. I think it's a mindset of the modern world that we live in a dark world which doesn't have much truth to support it. But hey, preference.

Edited by Knight

I've only ever played Pokemon,Fire Emblem and Golden Sun.I want to get Xenoblade,but with how rare it is,the chance I have getting it is the chance of getting a non-players choice Super Mario Sunshine nowadays.

Edited by Shadowfall

I've played quite a few jrpgs. When I play them I never go looking for quality story or super developed characters though, it's really the charm of the game (or other things) which entices me. For example, I love the Tales of series which generally have a crap ton of chlichés and tons of other flaws in the story, but it makes up for it with having it's fun as hell battle system and great character skits (pretty much the reason I buy the games).

I'm gonna echo what the others have said here and say Xenoblade is amazing, which it really is, and I found it to have quite a good story and characters along with things like beautiful vistas (on the Wii no less) and a simply amazing soundtrack.

Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Etrian Odyssey, Pokemon, and Ys, for more traditional JRPGs. Also Harvest Moon and Dark Souls if they count.

Edit: picked up Shin Megami Tensei the other day, and I'm really enjoying it.

Edited by Rovan

Persona is a pretty good JRPG. I've been a fan for my entire life. You should probably start with Persona 3 or 4, if you like "supporting" with other characters. I lack a better term for that. It has a turn-based battle system.

Tales of series is kinda cliche at times, but it has it's funny moments, like the skits. Tales of Xillia is one of my favourites from that.

I'll just agree with everyone else above me and say you should definitely try Xenoblade.

Etrian Odyssey is a first person dungeon-crawler game, where you basically navigate labyrinths and beat up monsters. Also, turn-based battle system.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is also a really good choice for JRPGs. I'm personally not overly fond of the second game though. It has a turn-based battle system.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess persona 4 and maybe xenoblade seems interesting, but there is a plathora of games I have to plough through. I want to play the mass effect trilogy, wating for dragon age inquisition, the WITCHER 3, asassin creed unity(I'm not really hyped for this one though). Most of all though, I really want to play

Deus ex human revolution, I hear a lot of guys like Totalbiscuit and Christopher Odd saying how it has a really great world to learn about and to get into. Most jrpgs are on last gen systems for some reason. I don't really hear people talking about jrpgs anywhere in youtube. I mostly hear bad stuff about final fantasy from TB and JESSECOX. Does anyone know some jrpgs for current gen and pc?

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, out on Steam. It's text-heavy, and the battle system is turn-based (in other words, pretty boring for someone who seems to like the RPGs I can't play because I get motion sick easily), but it's really well-done.