• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

i just gotta be more careful since I got close to the time limit in some spells in this run :/

I wouldn't worry about that too much if I were you - as long as timing out a spell means you didn't die to it, it's perfectly fine. All you're potentially missing out on is some bonus points. The time limits on bosses in Touhou are technically a victory condition! There's only few spells you really don't want to time out, and they only really become common in later games. DDC admittedly has a lot of them even on normal bosses, though.

considering maybe using ReimuB for this one

Just keep in mind that different shot types face different spells from Patchy! You might have an easier time with some shot types solely because of that.

ReimuB of EoSD and PCB is the best Reimu.

Heck no, PCB ReimuB is one of the most pathetic shot types I've ever seen, and definitely Reimu at her worst. xD

She's slow as heck (so slow, in fact, that this is actually a disadvantage!), does basically no damage whatsoever even focused and has abysmal Cherry Gain on both of her shot types. She's got the most generous deathbombing interval and a slightly smaller hitbox than the others, but that's it really.

Well, even Reimu's Homing Type isn't very good in PCB (SakuyaA does the same thing much better), so yeah, go with SakuyaA if you want an easy-to-use type.

SakuyaB is also great if you can deal with the fact that your movement affects where your shots go, and MarisaA is insanely amazing if you just want raw damage output. ^^

Well, even Reimu's Homing Type isn't very good in PCB (SakuyaA does the same thing much better), so yeah, go with SakuyaA if you want an easy-to-use type.

SakuyaB is also great if you can deal with the fact that your movement affects where your shots go, and MarisaA is insanely amazing if you just want raw damage output. ^^

I'll give both Sakuya's shots a try.

I wouldn't worry about that too much if I were you - as long as timing out a spell means you didn't die to it, it's perfectly fine. All you're potentially missing out on is some bonus points. The time limits on bosses in Touhou are technically a victory condition! There's only few spells you really don't want to time out, and they only really become common in later games. DDC admittedly has a lot of them even on normal bosses, though.

Just keep in mind that different shot types face different spells from Patchy! You might have an easier time with some shot types solely because of that.

I know, it's kinda like capturing only without the bonus of capturing :/

I think I did a pacific run of MoF Stage 1 and attempted a few other stages before, I think that's the only case where I remember timing out a spell

I think I remember at least one of Kogasa's spell getting much harder than its start, and not only because of leftover bullets, but actually getting slightly different :/

Oh, really? :o

I guess I should definitely try it then, who knows I have a better time with ReimuB!Patchy

HRtP: It's just Reimu luuul

EW: Reimu B

PoDD: Rikako

LLS: Marisa

MS: Marisa

EoSD: Marisa B

PCB: Marisa, the one with the Master Spark

IaMP: Gee, Reimu I guess

IN: Pfft iunno, this one annoys me for some reason

PoFV: Mystia, Reisen

StB: It's just Aya

MoF: Reimu B

SWR: I haven't played this too much because I played UNL before it luuul, but Tenshi

SA: Marisa C

UFO: Marisa Spark, Reimu Needles, Sanae Snakes(basebal teams yeah)

UNL: Tenshi, Iku, Reisen

DS: Oh hey, Parsee, Tenshi and Momiji are bosses

GFW: The Coldest

TD: Reimu Needles, Marisa Spark, Sanae(lulYoumu)

Wynaut;

HM: Mamizou(all day erryday), Byakuren

DDC: Reimu Needles, Marisa Spark

I generally prefer forward shot types with a constant barrage of stuff. Pfft homing luul

Edited by EmeraldFox

ReimuA is the Homing Shot, Needle is ReimuB

Cool, awesome, thanks.

Yeah I kind of struggled with the letters. Marisa A is the Illusion Laser one, right? In Touhou 6, I mean.

Edited by EmeraldFox

Oh, so we're listing our favorite shot types now? :V

EoSD:

ReimuA is pretty cool for the higher difficulties and generally owns the stages, whereas MarisaA eats bosses for breakfast. ReimuB is basically just a slightly worse MarisaA (so, still good), and MarisaB isn't particularly amazing but has a cool bomb I guess.

PCB:

MarisaA still eats bosses for breakfast, but both SakuyaA and SakuyaB are pretty amazing, too. SakuyaA is easy to use and SakuyaB roflpwns the stages while still being good against bosses.

IN:

The Border Team is pretty balanced, but the Scarlet Team owns bosses. ...or would, if it wasn't for the fact that every boss in this game has a gazillion seconds of armor. <_<

PoFV:

Personally, I like Mystia best, but her Ex Shot is admittedly kind of terrible. Yuuka is pretty cool, too. Medicine and Aya is where it's at if you simply want to win. xD

MoF:

ReimuA is actually pretty amazing here - her damage output isn't too bad, and she roflpwns the stages, which is important because of the faith system. MarisaA is where it's at if you want amazing damage output instead.

SA:

ReimuA is kinda objectively the best shot type here, but other than that the balance actually isn't too bad here, either. ReimuC is pretty versatile, and ReimuB becomes much better on the higher difficulties. MarisaB is technically cool, too, but I just can't deal with her gimmick. xD

UFO:

SanaeB is just too broken.

Other than that, though, any shot type except MarisaB is pretty cool. I'm slightly biased towards MarisaA, though, 'cause what's better than fighting lasers with lasers? :newyears:

DS:

Hatate is so damn much better than Aya. She can't zoom as far as Aya. Big deal when your damn camera charges twice as fast to compensate. xD

TD:

Reimu is balanced as usual, except this time she can switch between homing shots and stronger focused shots on the fly, which is completely amazing - she owns both stages and bosses! Youmu, while more gimmicky and harder to use, is arguably even more amazing when mastered, though. Dat damage output.

HM:

I'm biased towards Koishi, but she's kinda difficult to use effectively. It's pretty hard to argue that Marisa isn't the most broken character in HM. xD

DDC:

SakuyaA is utterly amazing - a strong, homing shot when focused and a shield bomb that doesn't suck!

MarisaB is also pretty cool, what with great damage output, splash damage and a bomb that can basically summon forth life pieces out of nothing. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, though, as some bullets aren't impressed by bombs and Marisa doesn't actually become invincible for the entire duration of the bomb. Lots of silly deaths were had. xD

Reimu's shot types are both totally alright, too, just not as amazing as these other two.

@Emerald: In EoSD, the laser shot type is MarisaB. MarisaA has magic missiles instead.

I have Touhoumon Emerald, luckily you can find her earlier in the Safari Zone(in the same area with Byakuren too). But I hate the Safari Zone. 'Wanna catch me? Too bad! I'm out! -flees-'

Yeah, I've noticed that about the chart, also the evolution levels must be stupid, my team are all level 23 and no one has evolved.

Safari Zone shinies.

The evo levels are 30-something for most Touhous. Although the evo is the final form so it makes sense in a way.

also you can evolve most touhous using one of the shards you come across as well.

@Emerald: In EoSD, the laser shot type is MarisaB. MarisaA has magic missiles instead.

Yeah, Marisa B. Yeah, screw the letters.

Zak: LulShinies. That makes me feel better somehow. Iunno how I'll get through Wattson when Brawly's Ichirin gave me problems. Gosh why are their levels so high.

Edited by EmeraldFox

if I can't find a hug I can draw it myself I guess so that's as obscure as I can get

in other news nuclear fusion cleared... and then died to the next nonspell

sads

Yuyuko stop being tsundere I only want to beat you up so I can be cool.

Why does Swallowtail Butterfly exist.

I mean really.

Le sigh. *tries again*

Edited by Spiriter Kalas

*image*

Poor Mystia... who's the white bird btw?

Also, Kalas-chan, I hate Swallowtail Butterfly as well. Definitely the most evil Yuyuko spell.

As for favorite shot types:

HRtP: Kick wins over Amulet because it covers good horizontal distance, protects you from more bullets (amulet only eliminates vertical bullets), and generally does a good job of speeding up the yin-yang orb

SoEW: While I love ReimuC the most due to sheer power of her lasers, I can't deny that I've performed better with ReimuB. I 1cc'd Hard the first time I tried ReimuB Hard even though I kept failing with ReimuC. It's likely because the spread is more useful for stages, still useful for hitting bosses, and most importantly, the increased speed.

PoDD: The only one I really use is Yumemi because she's my favorite character. She has amazing power and speed, but her slow charge time is a very huge flaw. When it comes to facing opponents, I found Marisa's attacks to be the most difficult. She can cover like, 80% of the screen with lasers, and you might not even see them coming if you're busy trying to dodge other stuff >_>

LLS: MarisaA, definitely. Her high power is too good to pass up. MarisaB's lasers aren't reliable enough (since they go on and off) while Reimu isn't very useful due to how easy stages are anyway. Only problem with Marisa though, is that she fights Reimu in Stage 4, who is much harder than Marisa imo.

MS: Once again, my chosen shot type is based on character preference and not gameplay. But Yuuka does have excellent spread for stages, and a powerful bomb with a very long duration that helps her skip a lot of stuff *cough* Cheetos Lasers *cough*.

EoSD: The shot types here seem identical to LLS. MarisaA wins again, because of how quickly she can melt bosses before their attacks get really threatening. The fact that she can capture Royal Flare so easily should prove how awesome she is.

PCB: SakuyaA, no contest. She gets both homing AND spread, letting you properly adapt to any situation. Four bombs per life also lets you skip a very good chunk of the game.

IN: Gonna have to go with Netherworld Team here. As powerful as Remirya is, boss armor kinda ruins her niche, while Yuyuko continues to annihilate stages with little skill required. Youmu also still has very good power against bosses, as well as a strong bomb. Netherworld Team also tends to get free bombs at the end of every stage.

PoFV: Having played against both CPU and humans here (unlike in PoDD), this one depends on the situation. Against the AI, Medicine is the best, because multiple layers of poison can impair the opponent so much that even uber AI skills may not be able to save them. Against humans though, I prefer Yuuka because her high spread lets her shoot down stuff and send more bullets, while the fast charge helps her deal with troublesome situations better while still sending hell to the opponent. Her slow speed is a huge problem though, but well, I normally play 99% focused with other characters, so 99% unfocused Yuuka is not much different.

MoF: I haven't actually tried much shot types, but the one I always use is ReimuB with her high damage output. Watching Fera's replay was enough to convince me of MarisaC's superiority though.

SWR: I prefer Patchy because she's my favorite character, and also because I like firing attacks from a distance, instead of risking melee attacks that have a good chance of backfiring.

SA: It depends on your approach to the game, but MarisaB is the best for me. Her Wood shotgun bomb is incredibly powerful, and makes it very easy to skip boss spells... but only if you actually plan the bombs beforehand. Water Sign is also incredible for stages, and some boss attacks too (Yuugi's non-spells, Zombie Fairies, etc). Earth Sign also happens to be extremely powerful on the few moments where you can abuse it (Parsee and Rin, usually).

UFO: Even though my only 1cc was with ReimuA, I'm gonna have to go with SanaeB here because her spread shot is more useful (ReimuA has a hard time hitting the boss in a disturbingly large number of spells) and her shotgun bomb is stupidly overpowered.

TD: I can't deal with Youmu's slash so it's Reimu for me. She gets both forward focus AND homing shots here, while having a smaller hitbox is always nice.

HM: Koishi is my favorite character, but I also like playing as her because of how fun her playstyle is. Opponent has to keep guessing at which attacks you input, heh

DDC: Definitely SakuyaA. Rapid alternation of her focused and unfocused shot is incredibly useful during stages, and her exploding knives (focused) also home in and do good damages on bosses. And then there's her bomb, which can protect her twice, is very panicbomb-friendly, and can also let her auto-collect twice (i.e. more bomb/life pieces).

Edited by Railgun