• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

At last, my team is complete. Now all I have to do is stealth my way back to Fortree to begin training Mamizou and Byakuren.

Half of my team has the faith typing because faith is for the transient people.

Also, hi Kalas

This run was going pretty great until I decided to get two game overs in Reimu

Lewd

At last, my team is complete. Now all I have to do is stealth my way back to Fortree to begin training Mamizou and Byakuren.

Half of my team has the faith typing because faith is for the transient people.

Also, hi Kalas

tactical espionage action time.

Punny.

Hi Emerald.

Can someone explain IN for me? @_@

RAYKITTY~'s explanation was mostly relevant to scoring, so I'm gonna tell you about stuff that are relevant to survival without any reference to scoring.

Many enemies (including midbosses/bosses) summon familiars. How the familiars look depends on whether you're a human or a youkai. Humans see familiars as bright circles, youkai see familiars as circles in the background (still very noticeable). Familiars fire their own bullets or guide bullet patterns for boss spells. Humans can fire at familiars, allowing them to damage and destroy them. Youkai bullets go right through the familiars as if they were just part of the background. Red familiars have a collision hitbox (humans get hit if you bump into them) while blue bullets do not. The youkai (and Reimu, as a special characteristic) can not get hit by familiars (but still need to watch out for their bullets). Finally, if you kill the summoning enemy or clear (not necessarily capture) the attack/spell that summoned the familiars, then the familiars from that enemy/boss-attack will self-destruct and remove all bullets in their area.

Because of how familiars work, if you see a generic enemy summoning familiars, it's generally a better idea to go focused to kill the enemy. Going focused will allow you to kill the enemy without hurting the familiars (it also prevents the familiars from blocking your bullets) so that the familiars can self-destruct and clear bullets for you. In fact, it's sometimes a good idea to wait until the enemy summons more familiars before you kill it to optimize familiar self-destruction for bullet clearance.

However, for midboss/boss attacks, it's a different story. Clearing a non-spell/spell will erase all bullets anyway so familiars don't help with that. However, a difficult attack might end up becoming much easier if you can kill the familiars *cough*AstronomicalEntombing*cough*. Do note that humans see familiars as solid enemies, so the time you spend on trying to destroy familiars could've potentially been used to hurt the boss instead. There are several spells where trying to kill familiars or ignoring them instead are both viable strategies with different challenges. However, killing familiars doesn't work for all attacks because some familiars have incredibly huge HP (essentially indestructible) or the boss keeps summoning new ones.

Finally, something unrelated to familiars is the Last Spell. In other Touhou games, you know you can deathbomb right after you get hit, right? Well, you can still deathbomb in IN, but the window is extremely short so you aren't likely to pull one off. However, in IN, you also get a significantly longer period of time in which you can unleash a Last Spell. Last Spells are generally more powerful than normal spells, but they consume two bombs instead of one (only Border Team can use a Last Spell with one bomb remaining). The Last Spell will be of the side that you're not on when you get hit e.g. bombing after getting hit as Reimu will unleash Yukari's Last Spell and vice versa.

Edited by Railgun

Thanks Proto, though I kinda figured that out from RAYKITTY~'s post and playing through the game a little :p

I'm really liking IN, I think I'm gonna play some more with it and try to get a 1cc with Final B in easy mode or something :o

I don't feel like trying another one in MoF on easy and am not sure about going back to normal mode yet

or maybe I could try with another shot type

Edited by Sety.