• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

isn't trance set to C.

And don't you need a full spirit gauge to manually trance?

Also, I thought there were programs to change the keys you need to use.

*dissolves into the mist*

I meant "into" as in the colloquial slang way, I figured out it's actual mechanics and can do it, but...

I can't figure out whether I want to trance for increase points in large chunks, or to trance for collectibles (live/bombs) or where the best places for collectibles are, and it annoys me when you're forced to choose between score and resources (UFO/10D/etc.)

and Imma just grumbly grumbly

isn't trance set to C.

And don't you need a full spirit gauge to manually trance?

Yes and yes, but as far as I recall, Bal said he changed the buttons around a bit because he has issues with ghosting when using the default layout.

EDIT: Also, ninjas.

Edited by Scarlet

I can't figure out whether I want to trance for increase points in large chunks, or to trance for collectibles (live/bombs) or where the best places for collectibles are, and it annoys me when you're forced to choose between score and resources (UFO/10D/etc.)

Sorry, you'll have to choose.

Trancing for points needs to be complemented by suicide and bombs if you want to be serious about it (because you need to constantly spam trance during bosses to increase the value of point items). Otherwise, just double-trance during Stage 6 for an easy 150-200 million points.

For normal play, just focus on trancing when the bomb/life fairies appear (you'll have to memorize that a little if you want to get the most out of it), or keep it in reserve as some sort of extra bomb for boss battles.

Edited by Scarlet

I was afraid of that answer. Well, got to stage 5 midboss, not bad for only second day of having played it I guess, but I'm still a little annoyed. Everywhere I seem to be reading comments about how it is one of the easiest games, but it really doesn't feel that way. It feels very stingy on resources, and Trance is pretty hard to build up on low difficulties (watched a Lunatic Run and he could easily have it 2-3 times a stage instead of the maybe once a stage on normals).

Maybe I just have a shot type I don't enjoy? Who knows. Anyway, maybe give a little feedback. I know I saved my first trance for way too long, but I couldn't figure out when I wanted to spend it (Also, I hit bomb instead of trance when I decided to go in and fucked things up royal...). I was thinking another good spot is right after umbrella-chan, because there seemed to be a lot of drops there, but then I died, wasted it, and didn't get it back up in time.

Game: Ten Desires - Normal

Score: 95419370

Slowdown: 0.000%

Character: Reimu

Then I held trance way too long on stage four boss last non-spell because I thought I could eke it out, but I was trolled by my badness. I'd literally never seen stage 5 and got shrekt.

I need to open the game again, since I haven't played any Touhou in a few weeks. If it does it again, I'll tell you the problem. It's hard to explain when I forgot what happened.

I don't have the time to analyze your replay right now, but to adress some of the issues you brought up:

Everywhere I seem to be reading comments about how it is one of the easiest games, but it really doesn't feel that way. It feels very stingy on resources

It's generally considered easy because the bullet patterns, both of the bosses and stage enemies, are fairly trivial for the most part - they generally are easier than even EoSD's. TD is extremely stingy when it comes to extra lives, however - even with completely perfect use of Trance, it's not possible to get more than five extra lives throughout the game, and three or four is a lot more realistic.

and Trance is pretty hard to build up on low difficulties (watched a Lunatic Run and he could easily have it 2-3 times a stage instead of the maybe once a stage on normals).

That is true to some extent, although regardless of difficulty, the bulk of your trance points are built up by killing enemies the second they show up on-screen, and sitting right in the boss's face whenever possible. In particular, if you happen to bomb during a boss battle, use that time to sit right on top of the boss. Your trance gauge will skyrocket.

If you're doing well, you can usually get (close to) two Trances per stage (aside from the first) even on Normal.

Reimu's unfocused shot helps tremendously in killing stage enemies quickly, and Sanae's passive ability also amplifies the rate at which your trance gauge builds.

I was thinking another good spot is right after umbrella-chan, because there seemed to be a lot of drops there

Yeah, if you manage to defeat Kogasa quickly enough (no problem on Normal, but can become an issue on Hard and Lunatic because she actually gets a spellcard), using Trance right after you beat her (or even to beat her) is a good choice.

The thing with TD is that it is very unforgiving when it comes to making mistakes. It's not like UFO where you can just spam more red UFOs if you screw up early on, or like PCB where you just get an absurd number of lives - if you die to something silly in TD, you're never getting that life back. In this game, it's more important than ever that you're making full use of your resources - in other words, never die with bombs left in stock, and if you have Trance ready, always use that before thinking about using a bomb (or just dying).