• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

Yeah, that's Hard Mode. You somehow 1cc'd SA on Normal even before you 1cc'd EoSD. And even after your first EoSD 1cc (only one extra life remaining) during the draft, you soon submitted an SA entry with seven extra lives remaining at the end.

Fera 1cc'd SA on Normal with every single shot type and even had six extra lives remaining with his least favorite shot type (ReimuC). And he 1cc'd SA on Hard and is seriously attempting Lunatic.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that I just plain fail at SA. It's the only integer other than UFO (which everyone agrees is really tough) that I have yet to 1cc.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Yeah, that's Hard Mode. You somehow 1cc'd SA on Normal even before you 1cc'd EoSD. And even after your first EoSD 1cc (only one extra life remaining) during the draft, you soon submitted an SA entry with seven extra lives remaining at the end.

Thinking about it, I actually have an explanation for that. SA is the first game in the series that allows you to play without input lag without use of a VSync Patch (which I didn't know about back then), so precise movements were a lot easier for me to pull off than in any of the earlier games. SA also doesn't punish you for bombing the crap outta the regular stages, so I can actually keep my lives for the bosses themselves. That, and it was simply my favorite Touhou at the time, so I played it a lot and consequently had a lot of practice.

Furthermore, while MarisaA in EoSD is really good, Reimu is much easier to control (especially without VSync), and I had never tried Reimu much before the draft when she was pretty much what I needed at that point.

And I'm still pissed about my SA draft entry. If it wasn't for midboss!Rin's hitbox staying active after she's defeated (for some dumb reason), I could've gotten a No Miss Clear. :<

Fera 1cc'd SA on Normal with every single shot type and even had six extra lives remaining with his least favorite shot type (ReimuC). And he 1cc'd SA on Hard and is seriously attempting Lunatic.

...if it's any consolation, the only shot types in SA I'm decent with are ReimuA (obviously), ReimuC and MarisaC. I kinda suck with ReimuB and MarisaA (but that's mainly because MarisaA completely falls apart if you actually spend your power on bombs), and I absolutely cannot deal with MarisaB. xD

Edited by Scarlet

Thinking about it, I actually have an explanation for that. SA is the first game in the series that allows you to play without input lag without use of a VSync Patch (which I didn't know about back then), so precise movements were a lot easier for me to pull off than in any of the earlier games. SA also doesn't punish you for bombing the crap outta the regular stages, so I can actually keep my lives for the bosses themselves. That, and it was simply my favorite Touhou at the time, so I played it a lot and consequently had a lot of practice.

Furthermore, while MarisaA in EoSD is really good, Reimu is much easier to control (especially without VSync), and I had never tried Reimu much before the draft when she was pretty much what I needed at that point.

Okay, yeah, the input lag explanation makes sense.

Bombing during stages usually leaves you with less than 4.00 Power against bosses, iirc. But eh, I'm having far more trouble with the bosses then the stages >_>

And I'm still pissed about my SA draft entry. If it wasn't for midboss!Rin's hitbox staying active after she's defeated (for some dumb reason), I could've gotten a No Miss Clear. :<

I actually got Wriggle Kick'd by Stage 5 Cat Rin too, a few times. It's really silly.

...if it's any consolation, the only shot types in SA I'm decent with are ReimuA (obviously), ReimuC and MarisaC. I kinda suck with ReimuB and MarisaA (but that's mainly because MarisaA completely falls apart if you actually spend your power on bombs), and I absolutely cannot deal with MarisaB. xD

I like MarisaB. Initially, it was because Patchy is one of my favorite characters, but now, I really like the versatility of changing shot types. The only problem is that Fire is extremely weak for a forward-focus type, and that her versatility is absolutely useless against Okuu.

Bombing during stages usually leaves you with less than 4.00 Power against bosses, iirc. But eh, I'm having far more trouble with the bosses then the stages >_>

Yeah, but I'd rather face a boss with just 2 or 3 Power than losing a life beforehand. Having 4 Power is really helpful when you do pull it off, but considering I:

- bomb basically all of Yuugi's non-spells

- usually bomb the charm spam prior to Satori at least once

- bomb a lot in Stage 5 in general because screw dealing with that

...and reaching Yamame with full Power is neither possible nor necessary (...unless you die beforehand, lol), the only boss battles I sometimes enter with 4 Power are the battles against Parsee and Okuu. And Koishi if you count Extra, I guess.

I like MarisaB. Initially, it was because Patchy is one of my favorite characters, but now, I really like the versatility of changing shot types. The only problem is that Fire is extremely weak for a forward-focus type, and that her versatility is absolutely useless against Okuu.

It's versatile, but I pretty much end up using only fire, water and the sideways thingie at all. If the fire shot wasn't so terribly weak, MarisaB would probably be much better in general.

Edited by Scarlet

Yeah, but I'd rather face a boss with just 2 or 3 Power than losing a life beforehand. Having 4 Power is really helpful when you do pull it off, but considering I:

- bomb basically all of Yuugi's non-spells

Even the one before Unnatural Phenomenon? You should try to stop moving around so much...

The others are understandable without MarisaA/B, because the spread shot kills all the generics.

- usually bomb the charm spam prior to Satori at least once

The last fairy drops at least 1.00 Power, so a single bomb shouldn't affect anything.

Besides, Satori starts off with really easy attacks, so you should have 4.00 Power before the Recollection stuff.

- bomb a lot in Stage 5 in general because screw dealing with that

Stage 5 is the worst Normal Mode stage in Touhou history ever. I hate it so much...

...and reaching Yamame with full Power is neither possible nor necessary (...unless you die beforehand, lol), the only boss battles I sometimes enter with 4 Power are the battles against Parsee and Okuu. And Koishi if you count Extra, I guess.

You bomb to Yamame for graze anyway >_>

Stage 6 has those two spirits that provide +2 Power, so it's hard to not get full power for Okuu.

I tend to have full power for Rin too, because the streaming part a little after Cat Rin always keeps my Communication Gauge maximized. But yeah, I guess you need the spread shot (MarisaA/B) to actually get a lot of Power out of that.

It's versatile, but I pretty much end up using only fire, water and the sideways thingie at all. If the fire shot wasn't so terribly weak, MarisaB would probably be much better in general.

Earth is overpowered as hell though. And can be exploited against Parsee and Rin. Wood is excellent for shotgunning, but you don't get many opportunities for shotgunning outside of already easy spells (Green-Eyed Monster, Anathema, Spleen Eater). It's wonderful for pre-planned bomb skips though. But yeah, Water Sign is the main attraction.

I don't wanna play MoF

someone tell me to play MoF blaaaaaaah

Play MoF

Even ZM is playing MoF and telling you to play MoF, and he didn't even play much of EoSD/PCB/IN.

Even the one before Unnatural Phenomenon? You should try to stop moving around so much...

Nah, the laser ones mostly (I know how streaming works lol). I can deal with lasers usually, but not with dozens of lasers at once that all randomly overlap and don't show where they're gonna go until they actually go there!

The last fairy drops at least 1.00 Power, so a single bomb shouldn't affect anything.

I know, but considering I usually end Stage 3 at 0 or 1 Power unless I die to Yuugi, I tend to never quite recover to full Power during Stage 4.

You bomb to Yamame for graze anyway >_>

I only did that in my draft entry for score. I usually don't. xD

getting rekt by tengu

send crackers

that said Aya is annoying, lol, those nonspells, I don't want to bomb to them

I'm having a hard time taking her seriously because she's only still Stage 4, and my deathbombing is getting terrible

I want to play SA already

meanwhile fripSide is the best thing I've downloaded

Aya's non-spells are really easy. Don't trap yourself between rings unless you have to.

And uh, her spells are the toughest in the game imo, so I would recommend bombing to them. Except her last one, that's easy.

Get better at beating Aya and then you can start using her for SA!