• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

So I decided to play MoF, and after reading stuff in here about bomb spamming, it really works. Stage 4 and Kanako me give troubles though. Before stage 3 or 4 is the fairest I got without a continue, and now it's stage 5.

imo Stage 4 is the hardest stage. Bomb-spamming still works very well, but if you want to clear Stage 4 without losing a life, you're gonna have to learn how to deal with some of the stage and some of Aya's spells. Kanako can still be troublesome but bombs still work on her except against her last spell. No matter how much you bomb-spam, you have to be able to deal with the final spell (Mountain of Faith) to some extent (depending on remaining resources), because she's invincible during bombs and the bullet clearing is reduced significantly for that spell alone.

With a little more bomb utilization, you should be able to 1cc as long as you don't fail too hard at the Mountain of Faith spell. Also, note that Stage 5 midboss Sanae drops an Extend, and you can get an Extend when your score reaches 150M, so you should have more extra lives for Kanako if you make it that far. In fact, imo it's easier to clear the game without Continues than with Continues, because you should be able to enter the later stages with well more than two extra lives.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Wait, Subterranean Hatred is actually a thing? I thought that was just a nickname for SA lol.

In fact, imo it's easier to clear the game without Continues than with Continues, because you should be able to enter the later stages with well more than two extra lives.

Actually, if you continue, you can easily get the 20 million Extend again, as well as the 40 and 80 million ones in Stage 4 and 5, so the MoF Continue system isn't actually all that harsh.

Of course, if you can No Miss Clear the first four/five stages, your point still stands, I just wanted to mention it.

@DLV: Are you using Reimu or Marisa? Marisa's bombs are even stronger than Reimu's if you actually hit the bosses with them, so your Power may last you longer.

Well, you kinda need to be caring about score at least a little bit to get those Extends upon Continuing. My first 1cc had a final score below 150M >_>

Also, imo MarisaC is the most overpowered shot type in MoF, if you can place her options well.

Well, you kinda need to be caring about score at least a little bit to get those Extends upon Continuing. My first 1cc had a final score below 150M >_>

Well okay, the 80 million one might require effort unless you're playing on Hard/Lunatic. xD

For the other ones... Well yeah, you can't just let every single point item ever drop, but if you bomb a lot, you should be getting a fair amount of them anyway.

Edited by Scarlet

Wait, Subterranean Hatred is actually a thing? I thought that was just a nickname for SA lol.

Yep, its a script for Danmakufu.

Its pretty hard except for the fact you have infinite lives.

It got regularly invaded by YOU KNOW WHO so that means it probably sucks a bit more.

I'm sorry I just wanted to fit in... *leaves while crying to self*

anyways I'm planning on getting that easy bullet hell one that was recommended and I'll begin my Rocky like training montage and hopefully become not horrible at it.

I'm sorry I just wanted to fit in... *leaves while crying to self*

anyways I'm planning on getting that easy bullet hell one that was recommended and I'll begin my Rocky like training montage and hopefully become not horrible at it.

I wasn't talking about you, you're alright. :Lugh:

Good good. Practice makes perfect

Edited by Locke Cole

I wasn't talking about you, you're alright. :Lugh:

Good good. Practice makes perfect

Yeah when I first read that last night I thought it was about me because I was about to go to bed and really tired. Then I read the next part and realized it had to be someone else.

So hopefully I'll start tonight unless I get sucked back into d3 i'm way too addicted to that right now, unfotunately no touhou in that game.

Yeah when I first read that last night I thought it was about me because I was about to go to bed and really tired. Then I read the next part and realized it had to be someone else.

So hopefully I'll start tonight unless I get sucked back into d3 i'm way too addicted to that right now, unfotunately no touhou in that game.

Well it wasn't about you.

Touhou is better

I've been using MarisaB.

Hmm, are you aware of and have been exploiting the glitch related to MarisaB's power?

Yep, its a script for Danmakufu.

Its pretty hard except for the fact you have infinite lives.

Infinite lives => beatable no matter how hard you fail

I just captured my first spell ever :D

The second spell of MoF's Stage 1 boss :D

if that means what i think it means

EDIT: And now i did it with her first spell too :D

Whoa, congratulations! Those aren't that easy for Stage 1 standards (criss-crossing bullets and lasers) so that's quite an achievement! And yes, capturing means to clear the spell without dying/bombing or anything that lets you skip part of the spell (borders, Trance, etc)

I am somehow reminded of how ZM bomb-skipped Aki's first spell in the draft

Hmm thinking about just posting a video of my first attempts, should be hilarious. Now to just figure out how to record videos on computers....

It should be. I'll want to watch that!

Maybe download the replay?

PC-98 games don't have replays, sadly.

Whoa, congratulations! Those aren't that easy for Stage 1 standards (criss-crossing bullets and lasers) so that's quite an achievement! And yes, capturing means to clear the spell without dying/bombing or anything that lets you skip part of the spell (borders, Trance, etc)

Thanks! I was actually pretty intimidated by her spells when i first played the game, but after going s bit in practice i started to noticed that she had some breaches that could be dodged with some calm, most of the times I got pretty close to getting her first spell but always screwed up just when i was about to do it. also, the only time I captured both I died in her first non-spell :awesome:

Or you could just see it yourself

Hmm, are you aware of and have been exploiting the glitch related to MarisaB's power?

I remember reading Marisa B having a bug before, but I didn't know how it actually worked until I looked it up. Looks really overpowered.

Ok got the game working now just to figure out how to record it. I played the first stage (I think that was meiling for the boss) just so I can figure out the controls and what not. Hopefully I'll get a vid up tonight.

Thanks! I was actually pretty intimidated by her spells when i first played the game, but after going s bit in practice i started to noticed that she had some breaches that could be dodged with some calm, most of the times I got pretty close to getting her first spell but always screwed up just when i was about to do it. also, the only time I captured both I died in her first non-spell :awesome:

Or you could just see it yourself

Alright, I watched the replay and here are my thoughts:
  • Auto-collection - Basically, at the start of the first stage, they show you a line that says something like "Item Get Border Line". Whenever you go above that line (which will be invisible throughout the rest of the game), then all items on the screen will automatically be collected (even if you drop back down before they reach you). This helps a lot in collecting the items on the screen, which also makes dodging a lot easier since you don't have to deal with item collection most of the time. Also, auto-collection lets you collect items from a pretty high height, which raises the value of point items, which gives you a better score, which lets you unlock more extra lives quicker.
  • Choice of shot type - You were using ReimuC, which is kinda hard to use because her focused shot is all spreading. At a distance, the boss will only get hit by a tiny fraction of the bullets that ReimuC fires, so the damage dealt will be quite pathetic unless you move closer (which is dangerous and not recommended for n00bs). This was particularly noticeable when the midboss fight dragged on until the big fairies appeared, which is not supposed to happen. I would advise using ReimuA (homing bullets) or ReimuB (high-powered straight shot). If you're more comfortable with ReimuC though, then go right ahead.
  • Size of hitbox - When you focus (hold shift), you see a small red circle, right? That red circle is your hitbox. If any other part of Reimu gets hit, nothing happens (no graze in MoF >_>). Therefore, you should focus entirely on protecting that small red circle from bullets and not worry about bullets going anywhere else.
  • Death on Minoriko's first non-spell - if you're trying to dodge bullets but you're not sure where your hitbox is, then switch focused to make sure your hitbox remains safe. Or sit in a gap that's wide enough for you to be confident that the bullets won't touch your hitbox.
  • Minoriko's first spell - Congratulations on capturing it! It seems like you put the effort into moving vertically across the gap, which is perfectly fine (and is definitely recommended for tougher criss-crossing bullet patterns), but this spell can also be captured by pure horizontal movement. Of course, just go with whatever you're more comfortable with.
  • Minoriko's second spell - This was a good capture, congratulations! Staying focused is indeed, a good idea, since those potatoes can get quite dense for a Stage 1.
  • Replay - I actually had quite some trouble accessing the replay for some reason. To make it easier, simply use this site to upload the replays.
Overall, good job!

I remember reading Marisa B having a bug before, but I didn't know how it actually worked until I looked it up. Looks really overpowered.

Basically, between 3.00 and 3.95 Power, her unfocused shot is overpowered as hell. So much so that she ends up breaking the game, even if the player is unaware of it. If you're trying to go for a game-breaking 1cc, then you should abuse the glitch i.e. try to remain unfocused as much as possible when your Power is at 3.xx, and watch how fast the boss HP burns down. If you're trying to go for a standard 1cc, then use the Vsync patch to fix the overpowered glitch, or use a different shot type.

I would suggest going for the game-breaking 1cc before you try a standard 1cc.

Ok got the game working now just to figure out how to record it. I played the first stage (I think that was meiling for the boss) just so I can figure out the controls and what not. Hopefully I'll get a vid up tonight.

Her name is Orange, actually, but don't worry, I thought she was Meiling too.

For the controls, I think the default is: Z for shot, X for bomb, Shift for focus. The shot button should be eternally held down for firing, the bomb is to unleash powerful attacks and clear bullets to prevent yourself from dying (and to damage enemies quite significantly) but has limited uses, the focus button is to be held down whenever you want to move slower, in order to dodge dense bullet patterns.

Edited by Railgun

I am somehow reminded of how ZM bomb-skipped Aki's first spell in the draft

PC-98 games don't have replays, sadly.

I don't want to play MoF anymore. Why battle Sanae when I can play as her in UFO while beasting it up.

That's a shame. But I can see why.

I don't want to play MoF anymore. Why battle Sanae when I can play as her in UFO while beasting it up.

Because UFO is hard but MoF is easy. And MoF is when you encounter Sanae for the first time. And hear her amazing battle theme.

I'm not sure if you can 1cc UFO yet (Sinker Ghost and Flying Fantastica are very serious business, even if you deal with everything else okay), but I can definitely see you 1ccing TD when the time comes.

That's a shame. But I can see why.

They still show the summary record of your entire run, which can be screencapped. But you can't watch the replay again, no. Edited by Railgun