• Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

Faith is for the Transient People rocks. I have YouTube for that, though, lol

I'll get back to MoF later. I enjoy it, and it's third to UFO and TD.

I need a lot of practice.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Alright, I watched the replay and here are my thoughts:

• Auto-collection - Basically, at the start of the first stage, they show you a line that says something like "Item Get Border Line". Whenever you go above that line (which will be invisible throughout the rest of the game), then all items on the screen will automatically be collected (even if you drop back down before they reach you). This helps a lot in collecting the items on the screen, which also makes dodging a lot easier since you don't have to deal with item collection most of the time. Also, auto-collection lets you collect items from a pretty high height, which raises the value of point items, which gives you a better score, which lets you unlock more extra lives quicker.
oh, so that's what that means
Choice of shot type - You were using ReimuC, which is kinda hard to use because her focused shot is all spreading. At a distance, the boss will only get hit by a tiny fraction of the bullets that ReimuC fires, so the damage dealt will be quite pathetic unless you move closer (which is dangerous and not recommended for n00bs). This was particularly noticeable when the midboss fight dragged on until the big fairies appeared, which is not supposed to happen. I would advise using ReimuA (homing bullets) or ReimuB (high-powered straight shot). If you're more comfortable with ReimuC though, then go right ahead.

I used ReimuC because the more spread shot kinda help to focus less on killing, and more on dodging bullets by hitting a large area when at high power, although having less raw power due to that is also kinda bad because it can drag bosses and minibosses battles longer, i just haven't decided on which shot to use yet
Size of hitbox - When you focus (hold shift), you see a small red circle, right? That red circle is your hitbox. If any other part of Reimu gets hit, nothing happens (no graze in MoF >_>). Therefore, you should focus entirely on protecting that small red circle from bullets and not worry about bullets going anywhere else.
Oh, I see, will keep and eye on the circle next time
Death on Minoriko's first non-spell - if you're trying to dodge bullets but you're not sure where your hitbox is, then switch focused to make sure your hitbox remains safe. Or sit in a gap that's wide enough for you to be confident that the bullets won't touch your hitbox.
I usually do fine on her first non-spell, but i kinda goofed this time
Minoriko's first spell - Congratulations on capturing it! It seems like you put the effort into moving vertically across the gap, which is perfectly fine (and is definitely recommended for tougher criss-crossing bullet patterns), but this spell can also be captured by pure horizontal movement. Of course, just go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

Really? I didn't really see a way other than vertically @_@
Minoriko's second spell - This was a good capture, congratulations! Staying focused is indeed, a good idea, since those potatoes can get quite dense for a Stage 1.
Thanks, i actually thought the second one would be harder for me, but I think I'm still having more trouble with her first one
Replay - I actually had quite some trouble accessing the replay for some reason. To make it easier, simply use this site to upload the replays.Overall, good job!

Oh, okay will remember that next time

Her name is Orange, actually, but don't worry, I thought she was Meiling too.

For the controls, I think the default is: Z for shot, X for bomb, Shift for focus. The shot button should be eternally held down for firing, the bomb is to unleash powerful attacks and clear bullets to prevent yourself from dying (and to damage enemies quite significantly) but has limited uses, the focus button is to be held down whenever you want to move slower, in order to dodge dense bullet patterns.

Sweet thanks I was wondering what buttons were for bomb and focus since i read about them.

Basically, between 3.00 and 3.95 Power, her unfocused shot is overpowered as hell. So much so that she ends up breaking the game, even if the player is unaware of it. If you're trying to go for a game-breaking 1cc, then you should abuse the glitch i.e. try to remain unfocused as much as possible when your Power is at 3.xx, and watch how fast the boss HP burns down. If you're trying to go for a standard 1cc, then use the Vsync patch to fix the overpowered glitch, or use a different shot type.

I would suggest going for the game-breaking 1cc before you try a standard 1cc.

Game-breaking 1cc is I decided to do. I almost did it, goofed off at certain times. I'm getting there.

I used ReimuC because the more spread shot kinda help to focus less on killing, and more on dodging bullets by hitting a large area when at high power, although having less raw power due to that is also kinda bad because it can drag bosses and minibosses battles longer, i just haven't decided on which shot to use yet

ReimuC does have the advantage of spreading, but if your decision was based on "I can focus on dodging and not worry about hitting the boss", then go with ReimuA, since her shots home in on the enemies. If you want to "hit a large area at once", you'll have to go with ReimuC while missing out on concentrated damage (unless you move nearer to the boss, which is risky).

Really? I didn't really see a way other than vertically @_@

That's understandable. Criss-crossing bullets are generally designed for vertical dodging.

Thanks, i actually thought the second one would be harder for me, but I think I'm still having more trouble with her first one

Everybody has their own playstyle, and their own strengths and weaknesses. Having trouble with an earlier spell doesn't mean you'll have trouble with a later spell, since they're all different.

Pc-98 touhou talk whoa?

Yup! metalsnowman is starting to play LLS

Iirc aren't the pc-98 ones harder?

Depends. HRtP (Th01) is definitely the hardest Touhou game ever imo, though mostly because it's 20 stages long. HRtP isn't even a shmup though, so it might not count. PoDD (Th03) is pretty hard, but it's a Phantasmagoria like PoFV (Th09). Phantasmagoria games are also generally considered to be separate from the rest of the bullet-hell shooters.

From the remaining three, LLS (Th04) is undoubtedly the easiest Touhou game ever. The bullet patterns are easy (except for Pajamas!Yuuka Master Spark) and you get a lot of resources (every boss drops a bomb!). SoEW (Th02) is also pretty easy imo, but it does have a few difficult patterns ("Embers of Love" predecessor in Stage 2 >_>) and my opinion of how easy it is might be biased since I love the game and played it way too many times. Finally, MS (Th05) is the only one that I'd consider to be a tough Touhou game, but it still doesn't reach the level of SA or UFO in difficulty.

Main reason why I think PC-98s would be considered hard is for players that are already accustomed to Windows Touhou games. PC-98 games don't show your hitbox, and more importantly, don't have any deathbombing. If you can deal with those, then PC-98s won't be too much of a problem.

ok after some technical difficulties i think I got a video i can post and I just realized that it recorded what I was saying but I'm too lazy and tired atm to deal with that. It was my 3rd try.

Edited by metalsnowman3

ok after some technical difficulties i think I got a video i can post and I just realized that it recorded what I was saying but I'm too lazy and tired atm to deal with that. It was my 3rd try.

Link?

And I have game break 1cc Mountain of Faith! Thank you MarisaBugged!

Whoa, congratulations! Out of curiosity, how many extra lives were left at the end?

I had three lives left.

Wow, that's quite a lot! My first MoF 1cc (MarisaB abuse) had 0 lives left (but 3.20 Power). Three lives means you had at least 11 bombs left, and that's assuming the unrealistic worst-case scenario of never getting any more Power. Considering that the glitch isn't very useful during stage parts, and that you can use bombs to skip most/all the tough parts of spells, I think you might even be able to go for a standard 1cc even!

Proto, in TD, is there anything I need to look out for later?

I'm not Proto, but: don't die. Bomb, abuse trance, but don't die. As far as lives are concerned, TD is the stingiest game in the series. Even with perfect use of trance to maximize the amount of life/bomb pieces you get, I don't think it's at all possible to get more than 5 Extends throughout the game, and even getting just 4 can be difficult if you don't have trance ready at a few critical moments.

Proto, in TD, is there anything I need to look out for later?

To parrot back what RAYKITTY~ says, take very good care of your lives. TD is the stingiest game when it comes to extra lives (it's quite generous with extra bombs though). It is important to abuse Trance to double the value of purple spirits (which form extra lives). And of course, don't die.

Note that from all of the Windows games, I would definitely consider TD to have the easiest bullet patterns and such (though my judgment on DDC may not be reliable, since even the demo was released well after I 1cc'd everything but SA/UFO). It even has Spell Practice, allowing you to quickly master spells. But yeah, it's very stingy with extra lives so you can't afford to screw up too often.

It's perfectly okay to time out Yoshika btw. Capturing some of her spells are very hard, and timing out is good enough.

I'm interested to see this replay, to be honest.

Which replay? DLV's MoF 1cc or metalsnowman's attempt at LLS?