[FE4]Status Text decompression Question

Sephie-chan

I lately joined a fresh group for a FE 4 german/spain translation project. Everything works fine, exept the translation of the status screen. We're knowing it's graphics are located at C2B but currently we have no idea how to decompress it (Well, we could just use a english patched Version as a base but that but be kinda stealing someone else's work, wouldn't it). So have someone any idea how to decompress it?

take a look at the FE4 info topic in my signature, lotsa stuff you might need, and the decompressor/compressor is on the second page

keep in mind the text is shift-jis

additionally I'd recommend you use the j2e patch as a base as they did a lot of advanced text changes like the letter limits in the stat screen and unit menus and such, but you should still start from the japanese version's menu text table of course

Edited by Lamia

Hm, but when I every time I used an english patched rom and use the easy text patch on it and translate it the text looks kinda wierd. There always some strange letters between and behind the text, so we decided to use the original japanese rom.

The fun fact ist that I've encounterd more problems on an english patched rom (Maybe I use the wrong one? I've tried it with this one) than I had with a clean rom in test editing ways.

FireEmblem4J004_zpsc935f424.png

Patching it with the Easy Text Patch and editing afterwards, it looks something like that.

Edit: I fixed it myself. As I thougt it was because of the font graphic. I changed it and now Everything looks fine.

How do I use the decompressor anyway?

Edited by Sephie-chan

How do I use the decompressor anyway?

copy and paste the hex data into its own file, then drag and drop onto decompress or compress, it will output a file in the same folder

IIRC, the menu text for example is from $C2B - 1B7B, so copy all of that and put it into a new file, drag that file onto fe45_decomp.exe, and then open the output file in your tile editor of choice (make sure it's set to SNES view if multi-platform)

when you're ready to recompress, just drag the same file onto fe45_comp.exe, it will make another file; that is the compressed data you put into the ROM, make sure to overwrite and not insert, additionally, make sure that your new data is not larger than the old

Edited by Lamia