Society's Level of Development in FE

KMT4ever

I would say that in those cases, it's that the illness is so severe that not even the magic that they have can help it. It's like how some diseases in our world still don't have cures. And sometimes illnesses that do just progress too quickly or come back stronger after having been "cured" such as cancer.

I've actually thought of this before, but healing magic always seemed like something that would cause cancer/make it worse. As in, healing theoretically causes cells to reproduce faster in an artificial manner, and uncontrolled reproduction of cells is cancer. As a pure lore thing, something like 'healing sickness' seems interesting.... hehe >.>

(I guess this is a headcanon? lol)

On an unrelated note, I wonder how common slavery is in Awakening(I say awakening because it is the most recent, timeline wise, I think?). In Nah's support with Yarne she almost gets kidnapped by slave traders. This happened in Shadow Dragon with Linde too, I'd actually kinda like to see that aspect expanded on.

I know it is mentioned in Tellius with the laguz. (IIRC, Nowi was also owned by slave traders before she joined, too?)

Edited by L95

Greenhouses.

If we're going by the assumption that FE takes place in medieval times, then we can assume that artificial methods of growing crops were possible, since those date back to the times of Ancient Rome.

Not necessarily. Ancient Rome was technologically more advanced than medieval England, at least until the Norman Conquest in 1066.

I've actually thought of this before, but healing magic always seemed like something that would cause cancer/make it worse. As in, healing theoretically causes cells to reproduce faster in an artificial manner, and uncontrolled reproduction of cells is cancer. As a pure lore thing, something like 'healing sickness' seems interesting.... hehe >.>

(I guess this is a headcanon? lol)

On an unrelated note, I wonder how common slavery is in Awakening(I say awakening because it is the most recent, timeline wise, I think?). In Nah's support with Yarne she almost gets kidnapped by slave traders. This happened in Shadow Dragon with Linde too, I'd actually kinda like to see that aspect expanded on.

I know it is mentioned in Tellius with the laguz. (IIRC, Nowi was also owned by slave traders before she joined, too?)

I've always wondered how healing magic affects people with terrible/no RES versus high RES, myself!

Slave trading seems to be a fairly large problem in some continents-- Linde was originally rescued from slave traders (Shadow Dragon kind of downplayed the slavery part of it IIRC) and FE5 has Eyvel rescuing Mareeta from slave traders. As far as societal ills go, Archanea and Jugdral seem to be pretty terrible places where kidnapping, child slavery, and exploitation are just part of the scene-- and in many cases this stuff is going on well before the war du jour, so it's not like the war is the cause of it all. I mean, the Loptyr cult doing outright child hunts was a worse problem, but Jugdral already seemed like a pretty crap place to live with pirates running protection rackets, widespread corruption, etc etc.

I'd hazard a guess that their healing magic relies on proper understanding of the ailment in question, in order to fix what's wrong. So basic anatomy knowledge is enough to heal battle wounds, but if they don't know all that much about viruses or bacteria they're probably incapable of correcting the problem via magic.

I actually really like this idea - it makes sense with what staves can do in battle (all simple things like healing battle wounds, poison, berserk, etc) and it would be another reason for scientific (or at least intellectual) advance to happen in a Fire Emblem world. And like CR said, people probably die sooner and more often as it is, and even if Staves could heal everything, they are expensive.

Still, non-staff medicine already exists as healing items and maybe they can do more than emulate staves, to some extent. Many illnesses had their treatments found in nature, after all.

Edited by Axie

Also on the slave trading, Noire is rescued from slavers...

I think the headcanon about staves and broken bones is very plausable. It's really mind boggling to think about, actually. Flash of light surrounds you and your big gut wound stops bleeding and closes up...healing magic, how does it work/what is it? It's in tons of other games too, like Zelda has healing fairies. And if it does work by speeding up cell division, then is there a risk of it going haywire and causing cancer, or does it have its own preventive measure? And what about vulneraries? Drink something to heal the afore mentioned gut wound...another thing Zelda also does with its potions. What's in vulneraries?

So many questions...