How do you like the wyverns to look?

Dragoncat

47 members have voted

1. 1. Arms or no arms?

• Arms
    • No arms
    • Don't care

Random topic. The definition of a wyvern is a two limbed dragon, usually meaning that they just have wings and back legs, but no front legs. Most FE games give them arms/front legs. Awakening and Sacred Stones are the only ones I've played that stay true to the definition, even though I think there can be four limbed wyverns in the latter.

Which do you prefer, or do you even care? I used to like the armed ones better. I distinguished them from dragons by making them stand on two legs and have arms, while dragons stood on all four. I still say the manaketes and dragon laguz are quadrupeds, bipedal dragons belong on Dragon Tales imo. But that's just my preference.

The wyverns with just hind legs have since grown on me. The other major difference between the two is that dragons breathe fire and other magic, while wyverns just spit venom/acid. This is true to wyvern lore irl. Also at least in Tellius, dragons have horns and human forms. Wyverns have fleshy face ruffs and obviously no human forms. Manaketes look different in every game so it's hard to pin down a specific appearance for them.

So vote in the poll and discuss.

i prefer no arms and wyvern knight is one of my favorite classes ever made, though, in fe6 and 7 they had dragons which was referring to the dragons on the other side of the dragon's gate, and wyverns were the types of dragons that were fit for people to ride as mounts so they used the 2 words to distinguish that i guess? then in fe8 they kinda screwed that up but at least the story wasn't as based around dragon-dragons so it wasn't that big a deal

I prefer no arms simply because they are called wyverns, which have no arms. They also look more menacing, I specially like FE8's wyvern in the Wyvern Knight class.

PS: I am aware the Japanese games don't quite call them wyverns but calling them wyverns has the added bonus of not getting them mixed up with dragons. Only FE3/12 has wyverns both as mounts and as standalone enemies, I think?

PPS: Does any game actually explain what wyverns are? I recall reading somewhere that they are dragons who went wild for not becoming manaketes and later domesticated by humans, but that only applies to Archanea...

Edited by Axie

PS: I am aware the Japanese games don't quite call them wyverns

false. in japanese dialogue, the wyvern mounts are consistently referred to as 飛竜, which is a) a valid way of referring to wyverns in japanese, and b) the exact same term used for the wild wyverns of fe3/12

in fe6 and 7 they had dragons which was referring to the dragons on the other side of the dragon's gate, and wyverns were the types of dragons that were fit for people to ride as mounts so they used the 2 words to distinguish that i guess?

I've heard that before, it is very possible.

PPS: Does any game actually explain what wyverns are? I recall reading somewhere that they are dragons who went wild for not becoming manaketes and later domesticated by humans, but that only applies to Archanea...

Where did you read this? Could apply to Elibe too you know. Never heard it...

Edited by Dragoncat

I really don't care if they don't follow what a wyvern looks like I think that they look better with arms personally but I do wish that they would make them look like radiant dawns again they looked so damn hood

false. in japanese dialogue, the wyvern mounts are consistently referred to as 飛竜, which is a) a valid way of referring to wyverns in japanese, and b) the exact same term used for the wild wyverns of fe3/12

oh really? the class names all have dragon over wyvern (or is that a mistranslation too?) and I've obviously never read the Japanese scripts so I couldn't know. I'm glad though because then there is no confusion and they could just make wyverns with no front arms all the time

I've heard that before, it is very possible.

Where did you read this? Could apply to Elibe too you know. Never heard it...

I'm not sure, if it wasn't in some old thread in this board it might have been in the Fire Emblem Wiki because there's not really many other places to read about Fire Emblem

Despite the definition of wyvern, I prefer a dragon with arms. I just think they look less awkward that way. Especially since I also like bipedal dragons better than quadrupedal (one reason I love the dragon laguz more than any other FE dragon).

Despite the definition of wyvern, I prefer a dragon with arms. I just think they look less awkward that way. Especially since I also like bipedal dragons better than quadrupedal (one reason I love the dragon laguz more than any other FE dragon).

Well, it kinda varies, Divine dragons in Shadow Dragon and FE3 are also bipedal. (I think Awakening's manakete are bipedal too)

• 2 weeks later...

A wyvern with four legs isn't a wyvern, it's a dragon. I also think wyverns spit poison instead of fire but well...That's neither here nor there.

(I think Awakening's manakete are bipedal too)

They actually have tiny little arms, like a flying T-Rex.

I like my wyverns roasted medium rare.

Ah! Um... uh... I guess... Eh, I really don't care. As long as the riders are wearing practical clothing for riding a dragon with two limbs, I'm fine.

I generally promote Cormag in FE8 to Wyvern Lord rather than Wyvern Knight, mostly because of the arms (forelegs?) on Cormag's mount if he's a Wyvern Lord.

Well, swords and the fact the Cormag is the only potential Wyvern Lord in the game excluding the Creature Campaign (whereas there are two other potential Wyvern Knights) also have something to do with it, but Cormag's mount looks more badass as a Wyvern Lord than as a Wyvern Knight.