Does this game have backtracking?

kirby9612

(This is FE: A right? I better be on the right topic...)

Well, (no personal experience with the game, but I do know quite a bit) the game plays out in chapters which you can't revisit. That being said, pick up on any hints to any missable recruitable characters and items.

After a few chapters, there is eventually a world map to travel to the next point of interest, i.e. the next chapter. Occasionally, there will be enemies occupying a space in which you can fight them to get exp, or maybe a merchant. You are also able to summon StreetPass/SpotPass teams to fight/hire/buy stuff from on empty spaces as well.

In short, no backtracking is allowed/needed. Whether or not it's a good or bad thing is situational. Miss an item only available in shops after later in the game? Too bad. Kill of a character? Whoops. Overgrind a character and waste exp since they're maxed? Well, better grind those Srreet/SpotPass teams.

(If you have DLC chapters however, you can replay them to your heart's content.)

I hope this isn't a troll topic.

No, the overworld map serves only for travel between maps, and maps are never revisited by the story. You can go back and fight alternate, weaker sets of enemies to grind on past maps, and you can play DLC maps over and over again, but the main story maps never repeat. Backtracking isn't even an option.

If that doesn't make sense, watch the first ~3 chapters of any FE LP ever (excluding FEs 2 and 4) and you'll get the idea.

Also, SPM doesn't have very much backtracking. TTYD does, SS can, but SPM is fairly linear in terms of level to level progression (then again, I haven't played SPM recently and my memory might be faulty).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi