Hopes for Zelda U

Misses Elise-chan!

Topic.

What features would you like to be added in the upcoming Zelda title? What are you looking foward to? What do you think they will add? Are you worried about certain things that may be added?

For me, I hope they don't have to sacrifice the story. I'd also like to be able to travel across the lake, river, or ocean areas. Different biomes or terrain than just mountain and trees.

Edited by Rabbattack

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the huge-ass world, I want to see lots of places to explore! Caves, those secret grotto holes, stuff like that! Also lots of dungeons, like ALttP has (the main reason I like that game so much). With a world THAT size, Aonuma could fill it with even more of them than that!

Oh, but yeah, this focus on world-building shouldn't hinder the story at all, I hope. Use your noggin, Aonuma. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I second the lot of places to explore, but not hindering story.

It would be nice to be able to pick your own path too. Like ALttP and ALBW. But, with more story than they had. Something like...if in TP when you had to get the mirror shards, you could choose to go to Snowpeak Ruins before Temple of Time and etc.

Speaking of Snowpeak, I want a big ice area. There was none in SS.

I hope there is a challenging combat system, probably expanded from Wind Waker's combat, or Twilight Princess' as long as there are enemies that take advantage of having hidden skills. I hope there is an equal or almost equal amount of new items/weapons as there are returning ones, and the old ones should have some new and unexpected functions or applications. I want there to be many towns and villages with lots of characters and sidequests, although not to the amount of games like Skyrim, quality over quantity would be better. I liked the non-linear approach to dungeons in Link Between Worlds, I hope that makes a comeback, collecting items can work however the developers wish it to work. I want dungeons to be hard, with some difficult puzzles and more challenging enemies in later dungeons. Basically, I want to be able to get a gameover if I mess up at any point in the game and also have to spend a good few minutes on the occasional difficult puzzle. I hope Link gets customizable and upgradable equipment like with the weapon shop and the badges (or tokens, I forget what ther were called) in Skyward Sword, but expanded upon even further. If Ganondorf returns, I want him to have a big impact with his character instead of just lurking in the shadows until the very end, something more like his Wind Waker incarnation. I want there to be some very unique and interesting environments and I hope there is a lot to see and find in the overworld.

TWW's or TP's combat? Pff, no way, Skyward Sword has the best combat because of the Wii Motion Plus stuff. I want that expanded! I loved how I could actually feel like I'm wielding a sword, because I could swing the remote horizontally, vertically, or diagonally to make Link do the same with his blade. It was so fun!

SS combat was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind not having it again though...it's not that big of a deal.

Funny story: one time my little brother calibrated the wiimote facing upside down...the beetle went the opposite direction of where he was pointing it and he couldn't figure out why xD

i'd be happy with a dead sacrificed story if the exploration is as dope as it looks like it can be

honestly i'm kinda jazzed about it which is weird because i haven't been jazzed about a zelda since windwaker

I'm curious as to what Zelda will look like! I'm hoping something similar to Twilighht Princess, I loved that one. But it probably won't fit due to how dark and gloomy the setting in TP was.

And even though it probably won't happen, I hope we can play as Zelda in some way. I mean, it worked with Peach in the Super Mario games, so why not?

Fighting style though, I don't mind anything. I easily adjust to Zelda fighting styles. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't SS and TP share the same fighting combat? They both use Wii Motion thingies (keep in mind I've never played SS).

I'm curious as to what Zelda will look like! I'm hoping something similar to Twilighht Princess, I loved that one. But it probably won't fit due to how dark and gloomy the setting in TP was.

Fighting style though, I don't mind anything. I easily adjust to Zelda fighting styles. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't SS and TP share the same fighting combat? They both use Wii Motion thingies (keep in mind I've never played SS).

They could just use some TP ideas,because they are using the sword fighting on horseback concept from TP.I just want more TP,okay?

SS uses the motion controls like Wii Sports Resort or Wii Play 2.TP you can just swing the Wii remote every which way and Link will do generic slashes.

I would like to see some more references to TP,like some legends of something.

Maybe a better back story of Link's then other games of the series.In OoT,all we know about Link is an orphaned Hylain,and in TP,there Link has no back story.The only thing of his past is that he has the Hero of Time's blood.

Edited by Shinehollow

I'm looking foward to seeing how all the races look like, especially the Child timeline Zoras, Zelda and Ganondorf (Not Ganon) too. Since this Link is styled after the Oracle, LttP, and LBW Link, I'd like to see how characters from non 3D Zelda games look in 3D.

Any guesses on where this game may take place in the timeline? The design of Link hints towards the downfall timeline, but that would be boring. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I saw any castles on the map, maybe it takes place directly after SS, or they may have yet to add it into the game.

Areas I would like to be able to travel too and explore: Lakes, rivers, oceans, beachs, deserts, tundras, snow covered mountains, rocky mountains, caves, villages, mountain peak (So I can jump off and fly).

With my sail cloth I'd like to jump off Epona from a cliff and float down in slow motion with my bow.

I'd also like some sort of transportation when going through water. A quick warp thing would be great too, maybe another ocarina, that would be great. A boat would be great too.

My favorite Zelda game is Spirit Tracks because I'm a filthy casual. If this took place in new Hyrule I'd be so happy, but a little confused. The spirit train would be a great way to get from one place to the next, but this is most likely not goig to be the case.

TP doesn't use the Wii Motion Plus feature, actually. You just use a regular Wii remote and shake it to make Link attack in that game. In SS, you actually have to swing the Wii remote in the direction you want Link to swing his sword. And doing that required use of the Wii Motion Plus.

TP doesn't use the Wii Motion Plus feature, actually. You just use a regular Wii remote and shake it to make Link attack in that game. In SS, you actually have to swing the Wii remote in the direction you want Link to swing his sword. And doing that required use of the Wii Motion Plus.

TP, Wii version.

TP is a special case since the game was released on two consoles... (I consider the GC version canon, since the sun rises at the east and sets at the west)

---

On Subject:

I wonder how "open" the world will be... :P

There are places where time doesn't pass, like Kakariko village... I wonder how they'll manage that.

Edited by Naughx

TP, Wii version.

TP is a special case since the game was released on two consoles... (I consider the GC version canon, since the sun rises at the east and sets at the west)

Um, I was talking about the Wii version. And I'm not wrong, because I didn't have Wii Motion Plus until I got Skyward Sword, and I played Wii TP (due to my preference for it over the GC version) long before that.

Edited by Anacybele

Nah, you swung in the direction you wanted Link to swing in with TP as well. It was just really shtty since the Wiimote was pretty bad at genuine moon tracking. The Motion Plus made it a little better, but not by much since the damned thing would always fuck up after a while.

I'm just glad that this game looks like it's not returning to that system, because I fucking hated that.

No you didn't. I remember it clearly. All I had to do was shake the remote. I didn't have to swing it at all. But it was kind of boring, which is why I've said Skyward Sword's gameplay should be used.

I'm just glad that this game looks like it's not returning to that system, because I fucking hated that.

What? I saw no indication of this. We didn't even see Link use a sword in that video.

I didn't say that. You don't have to put words in my mouth. You definitely could've swung the remote if you wanted to. I'm saying that it wasn't at all necessary.

I watched the whole thing. I only saw him use a bow.

And even if he did use a sword, it still doesn't mean anything. Epona didn't exist in Skyward Sword. Link's only mount was a bird which he flew on in a sky that had almost no enemies, and the enemies that were there, he could not use his sword against. So we never got to see how this combat system would have worked on a mount.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm really feeling some Wind Waker vibes from this game due to how big the world is. I'm also, oddly, feeling some Pikmin vibes from this game due to the ability to pick a spot on the map and automatically travel to it like in Pikmin 3. Seeing as that was a Miyamoto game, I think it's a nice reference. :P

(still not as good as the warping mechanic from Xenoblade which probably would've put Zelda U on my must have list though)

I'm not expecting much other than the bland OoT formula for a 3D Zelda. I'm just hoping they try to make Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf into actual characters. I only say that since I saw a pic of Ganondorf teaching Link how to draw a bow and it would be like really neat if the three them are friends at first then stuff happens and Ganondorf become the evil dude we all know and love.

I didn't say that. You don't have to put words in my mouth. You definitely could've swung the remote if you wanted to. I'm saying that it wasn't at all necessary.

I watched the whole thing. I only saw him use a bow.

And even if he did use a sword, it still doesn't mean anything. Epona didn't exist in Skyward Sword. Link's only mount was a bird which he flew on in a sky that had almost no enemies, and the enemies that were there, he could not use his sword against. So we never got to see how this combat system would have worked on a mount.

No you didn't. I remember it clearly. All I had to do was shake the remote. I didn't have to swing it at all.

Okay

It was brief, but it was there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECWlFInyFM#t=121

And judging by how you fought on Epona the same way you fought normally in TP, I would guess that it would have been the same on the Loftwing.

I'm not expecting much other than the bland OoT formula for a 3D Zelda. I'm just hoping they try to make Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf into actual characters. I only say that since I saw a pic of Ganondorf teaching Link how to draw a bow and it would be like really neat if the three them are friends at first then stuff happens and Ganondorf become the evil dude we all know and love.

I don't think there was enough in the trailer to make such a hasty judgement. I think it would be very interesting to see an origin story for Ganon, especially if he's friends with Link but slowly is corrupted or filled with rage, it would be a great development, interesting idea.

More enemies than just boring poop face moblins. We need a challenge. Weakling grunt enemies are okay, but having too much and making them one of the only enemies around while travelling is boring.

I want to see a crap load of enemies. Put the entire series worth. Aquamentis and Manhandella would be epic dungeon bosses, imagine the classic NES bosses remade in a 3D game.

The hookshot would be awesome to use in a open world type game, unlike TP or OoT, you'd have more use of it than just to get to a chest or door in a dungeon.

The sail cloth is used to reach the bottom of a high place, the hookshot could be the opposite and let you reach the top. Maybe a grappling hook could work better. How do you guys think this could work?

I need to see that picture.Were'd you find it?

Open world exploration akin to windwaker but on land. Carry over the item upgrade system from skyward sword perhaps add a level up or RPG type system to give incentive to fight enemies. Make dungeons playable in any order like in ALBTW even if they are more difficult.

One thing I hope remains constant (and i'm sure it will) is the OST. I also hope the story holds up Skyward Sword's story was great and they way Nintendo made an orgins story for the Zelda universe was just awesome.