Hopes for Zelda U

Misses Elise-chan!

In TP combat for me just became "use mortal draw on everything I can".

WW had my favorite combat system honestly. The reaction command-attack-things kinda eliminated a lot of the challenge, but I also found it to be very satisfying. The fights were more dynamic than other games too, breaking enemies' armor, knocking their weapons away, using those weapons against them, and maybe I just don't remember everything atm, but I don't recall too many times where I was waiting for enemies to do a specific thing so could hit them(aside from some flying enemies).

Ideally I'd like to see the dynamic from WW with a better implementation of TP's skills and SS's shield mechanics(I wouldn't be too upset if this one didn't come back).

Also on the subject of SS, the way it handled its shops and basically everything related to them was pretty great. And of course that whole "actually caring about the characters" thing and the dialogue options. Also I liked the ability to run, running is good.

But lets stop with the whole "nauseatingly long tutorial before the first dungeon" thing.

Edited by SecondWorld

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally I'd like to see the dynamic from WW with a better implementation of TP's skills and SS's shield mechanics(I wouldn't be too upset if this one didn't come back).

I actually thought part of what made SS more challenging was that you couldn't just hold up your shield the entire time otherwise you flinch and it breaks down (unless you get the Hylian Shield at the end). You had to time your shield bashs in order to properly defend and counter.

I actually thought part of what made SS more challenging was that you couldn't just hold up your shield the entire time otherwise you flinch and it breaks down (unless you get the Hylian Shield at the end). You had to time your shield bashs in order to properly defend and counter.

I like the idea of skillful shielding as well. Press ZR at the upon a strike to stun an enemy or prevent your own stun would be a nice addition and that was one of my favourite things about Skyward Sword's combat. I have a feeling breakable shields and more customization in general will be a thing in this game, bigger worlds usually go hand in hand with more stuff.

BTW, has anyone else seen the new Gamexplain analysis?

I like the idea of skillful shielding as well. Press ZR at the upon a strike to stun an enemy or prevent your own stun would be a nice addition and that was one of my favourite things about Skyward Sword's combat. I have a feeling breakable shields and more customization in general will be a thing in this game, bigger worlds usually go hand in hand with more stuff.

Link's shield in the gameplay video also reminded me of the circular wooden shield from SS(not exactly evidence but it's something).

I just wish that it keeps to it's look that we got of it at E3...

The whole futuristic robot with Link fighting it with some high-tech bow?

It looks like, Zelda-timeline wise, it takes very far distant in the future.

It's interesting, really.

Last console game they made, Skyward Sword, took first in the timeline.

This one looks like it might be last, or rather further down the timeline.

The truth about the missing hero: This game takes place in new Hyrule before the spirit tracks were made. Which was around the time the hero disappeared and the gods flooded Hyrule. The hero was already reincarnated, just not in flooded Hyrule, but instead new hyrule, where he was needed more. This explains the disappearance of the Spirit of the Hero. If the Hero's Spirit truly did disappear into another timeline, then how did another hero show up? Spirit of the hero never truly left when Link went back to his childhood.

Lost again: This Link is the same hero from Link's Awakening, who survived the ship wreck and made it back to Hyrule or got stranded on another continent.

Before the beginning: The Link shown in the trailer is either Hylia's chosen hero or a descendant of him from before Demise came from hell. (The fissure in the earth mentioned could have been a portal to Lorule and Girahim is actually Lorule's version of the master sword)

Least interesting place in the timeline: This game takes place after Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventures.

Worst place in the timeline: This game takes place in Tolemac, Koridai, or Gamelon. Specifically the CD-i timeline.

I just wish that it keeps to it's look that we got of it at E3...

The whole futuristic robot with Link fighting it with some high-tech bow?

It looks like, Zelda-timeline wise, it takes very far distant in the future.

It's interesting, really.

Last console game they made, Skyward Sword, took first in the timeline.

This one looks like it might be last, or rather further down the timeline.

Either that, or it takes place during the past's time period in Skyward Sword, I'm guessing. Because in that period, there was a high-tech robot tribe that could've definitely had tech like this.

Worst place in the timeline: This game takes place in Tolemac, Koridai, or Gamelon. Specifically the CD-i timeline.

If it is,they'd need to perfect this game to make up for the sins of the CD-i.

Gamexplain uploaded an analysis which wasn't Derrick finally about this if anybody's interested.Andre had some good points.I can't link it because I'm on my tablet,though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGlHnwVDmc

Very informative video. My brother and I made some guesses on the areas and the plot. If the one area they point out is indeed Lake Hylia and Death Mountain is where it is, I'm guessing the area that Link starts the video in isn't far from Kokori forest, Faron woods or the Lost Woods. Either the tip of the central field or across the river to the left is where I'd place Hyrule Castle (if it exists) I'm undecided as to where to put Zora's Domain. North-West looks like a snowpeak-type area, and I am making a stretch to guess below it is Gerudo. To the north-east there are some suspicious formations, namely a lake that looks like a skull and a spiral archipelago, I'm really interested in exploring these coastal areas as they are likely completely untouched upon areas of the Zelda universe.

As for the plot, my brother and I assume it's most likely after Skyward Sword, we formulated the idea that this could be the direct son or grandson (I don't have much evidence to support this) of Link from Skyward Sword and that this is a relatively unexplored world with only some settlements dotting the map. We were thinking the plot might revolve around a quest to find the new reincarnation of Zelda before some evil people do.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that before its association with fairies and the Kokori (and later the Hero of Time) the green tunic is associated with the royal guard and knighthood (like in Skyward Sword, Minish Cap and Four Swords) this suggests to me that Link in this story, if it takes place before OoT, is not associated with the royal guard, knights or Hyrule Castle and is likely a lone adventurer or wandering hero with no obligations to authority.

Edited by Knight

Nintendo has gone ON-RECORD saying that the CD-i games aren't canon

Thank God.

Either that, or it takes place during the past's time period in Skyward Sword, I'm guessing. Because in that period, there was a high-tech robot tribe that could've definitely had tech like this.

...good point.

Good, bloody point. I don't see why that WOULDN'T be the case, now.

GameXplain mentioned using the sail cloth to go up high places via gusts of wind. That would feel very out of place in an open world. Dungeons are ok for those and maybe a couple gusts scattered across the map for important places, but a grappling or hook item would be a much better idea.

Since this is an open world game, how much loading will there be and what kind of places will have to load it itself up once you come to the entrance? When I reach a dungeon or house will I have to wait before the game readies the new area? Did Skyrim and other open world games always have new areas ready before you got there?

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that before its association with fairies and the Kokori (and later the Hero of Time) the green tunic is associated with the royal guard and knighthood (like in Skyward Sword, Minish Cap and Four Swords) this suggests to me that Link in this story, if it takes place before OoT, is not associated with the royal guard, knights or Hyrule Castle and is likely a lone adventurer or wandering hero with no obligations to authority.

Isn't he a lone adventurer in every single game? Is always not a memeber of the royal guard?

Isn't he a lone adventurer in every single game? Is always not a memeber of the royal guard?

In Skyward Sword he's part of the Skyloft academy and it's mentioned that Link's tunic is next year's knight garb. In Minish Cap and Four Swords Link is Zelda's personal guard and friend. Also in Spirit Tracks the tunic is a guard uniform (hmm, perhaps it could be New Hyrule afterall, I doubt it though). I think Link might also be a guard of Zelda in Four Swords Adventures as well, IIRC. Only in Ocarina, Twilight and Wind Waker is the tunic specifically associated with the hero.

You know what would be a great idea? Remember how in the The Legend of Zelda you had to deliver a paper from an old man to a cave, to an old lady in a cave all the way on the other side of the map who would give you potions? If they brought that back as a sidequest that would be fun. Another trading sidequest with a time limit and no warping would also be fun.

In Skyward Sword he's part of the Skyloft academy and it's mentioned that Link's tunic is next year's knight garb. In Minish Cap and Four Swords Link is Zelda's personal guard and friend. Also in Spirit Tracks the tunic is a guard uniform (hmm, perhaps it could be New Hyrule afterall, I doubt it though). I think Link might also be a guard of Zelda in Four Swords Adventures as well, IIRC. Only in Ocarina, Twilight and Wind Waker is the tunic specifically associated with the hero.

You forgot Majora's Mask, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, A Link Between Worlds, A Link to the Past, Phantom Hourglass, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons.

I hope it will be something a bit like Spirit Tracks, I loved ZoT:ST for its bosses and OSTs. And it was the first zelda to introduce romance a bit into the zelda series :p

IMO, Ilia and Link had something going on in Twilight Princess.

You forgot Majora's Mask, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, A Link Between Worlds, A Link to the Past, Phantom Hourglass, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons.

I haven't played many of those games in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that in Majora's Mask, Link isn't really acknowledged has a hero thanks to his tunic. Actually, I don't think anyone acknowledges Link in human form as a hero at all...? I mean, they ask him to do things for them...

The idea of the post wasn't to include all the games where Link was wearing a green tunic. It was to include games where the tunic was specifically associated with Link's status as a hero.

Edited by Severlan

Kafei and Anju in MM say hi. Although I hated them and would have rather seen Kafei with Cremia. Kafei is awesome. Cremia is awesome. Anju is annoying and stupid, imo.

But anyway. All in all, I just want fun gameplay, a good story, and fun dungeons. That's all I really ever look for in Zelda.

Edited by Anacybele

A completely revamped combat system is the one thing I really want. Zelda combat is slow, dull, and lacking any kind of depth or variety whatsoever. I would honestly go as far as to say that Zelda has the worst combat of any major action title today. The dungeon design is still unrivaled, but it disappoints me that half the game has to be so boring because Nintendo is seemingly incapable of moving past 1998 standards for action games.

My ultimate dream game is one that combines the depth of Devil May Cry's combat with the clever level design and environmental puzzles of Zelda. I'm not holding my breath for that one though....

A completely revamped combat system is the one thing I really want. Zelda combat is slow, dull, and lacking any kind of depth or variety whatsoever. I would honestly go as far as to say that Zelda has the worst combat of any major action title today. The dungeon design is still unrivaled, but it disappoints me that half the game has to be so boring because Nintendo is seemingly incapable of moving past 1998 standards for action games.

My ultimate dream game is one that combines the depth of Devil May Cry's combat with the clever level design and environmental puzzles of Zelda. I'm not holding my breath for that one though....

I don't think Zelda is supposed to be a fast-paced hack-and-slash, although I wouldn't mind a little bit more complexity. Also, I wouldn't say all the non-dungeon gameplay is boring but I guess to each his own. It's obvious there is a focus on exploration in the overworld this next game, so I'm afraid that you might be a little disappointed.

Then you would end up with a game like Hyrule Warriors...Zelda isn't exactly an action title its more of a RPG adventure. The best way to add depth imo is to bring back the shielding system in SS so that you can't just hide the whole time and maybe add EXP into the mix so that there is incentive to attack enemies instead of passing them by.

Then you would end up with a game like Hyrule Warriors...Zelda isn't exactly an action title its more of a RPG adventure. The best way to add depth imo is to bring back the shielding system in SS so that you can't just hide the whole time and maybe add EXP into the mix so that there is incentive to attack enemies instead of passing them by.

I've always been against the idea of having EXP in Zelda, I like the idea of Link increasing his abilities through exploration and progression of his adventure. I found that the system works because A) you never stop adventuring and are always on the move, grinding usually means going in and out of the same area over and over, B) grinding isn't that fun, it's not like you'll be missing out on any enemies by ignoring them as you're likely to encounter them in dungeons and C) grinding for collectibles to upgrade items like in Skyward Sword is already a good incentive to go and fight enemies, or even just grinding for items like bombs, rupees and arrows, I don't see how I'd be doing anything different with an EXP system.

Edited by Knight