Crazy Li

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's what I call cute.

Deceptively cute :o

Who did you make this for because I want it

I made it for myself? Specifically the FE fan game I hope to eventually make. All of the things I've posted so far are the prototype concepts for characters to be appearing... though somewhat rushed and rough versions in many cases. That animation I made is severely lacking frames and all-around needs to be cleaned up.

Ok, Serenes... I really need your help this time. Can anyone give me ideas for how to go about making a splice to look like this character? I can figure out the easy stuff like the face and the main base of the hair, but I'm wondering if any of the more creative splicers know if there's a source within GBA FE that can be pulled from to create those loops in the hair and perhaps even the bells. I would greatly appreciate any sort of leads on potential mugs to look at to grab things from. I really want to make an awesome splice for once.

The best thing I can figure is using beta Neimi's earring for the hair loops. Just blow it up to 150% or so, clean it up, and reshade it. It takes a good bit of custom work, but it's all I can think of atm

For the bells... maybe Zeiss's pauldrons would work? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Thanks for the advice. I MIGHT be able to make something work, but it won't be easy. I'll show my progress so far on the hair just to give an idea of the direction I'm going in right now so people can stop me early if it's wrong.

Meili_zps08f14562.png

That definitely needs some cleaning, but am I doing it right so far?

At the very least, I'm sure this will work better than my idea of shrinking the art down and coloring it FE style. Just to demonstrate, I'll show the disaster that came from trying that:

failure_zps79fd6341.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, nothing new to show yet. All I did was fill in some missing hair pixels to the previous character. Nothing special. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the outfit yet and I kinda wanted to have her hand up like the artwork, but it just gets lost in the outfit and looks terrible when I try, so I might give up on that.

Working on a new character. Only have the head done so far because I dunno what to pick for the body. She's a mage but there aren't a whole lot of mage bodies to choose from. In her original design, she wears a kimono actually, but I don't think that really fits in well with FE, being mostly Europeanish and not very Eastern in feel. Myrmidons are about as Asian in design as you get. I'll hafta think more on where I'll steal parts from to give her an appropriate outfit but once I do, I'll share.

EDIT: Worked on the body enough to post a WIP

Miyuki_zpsfa648363.png

And here's the source

I need to clean up that hair quite a bit still in looking over it now... and probably the shading around the line separating the face from the neck... and then the robe needs some help in terms of shading. Folds are hard.

Edited by Crazy Li

What do you want from the thread? Most people are iffy on doling out the criticism unless you asking for something specific. (And there is no 'proper' way of going through a WIP, so that question can't really be answered.)

You seem have a comment for every post on what could be better for your own sprites, so as long as you have that forward drive you're doing well . Imo you'll get the best value on feedback when you think you're ready to call it complete or just can't get any further with it on your own.

Priestess is my favorite from your latest bunch, face seems fine. The cloth shading seems a little rough: it might be because the tone you used is a little too light.

Well everything's a WIP for me because all of my work ends up unrefined and so it always just hangs in that state of me not knowing how to put the finishing touches on it. I post them when they're "complete" in being as far as I think I'm going to get without help but I don't like to call them finished works when I know they could be better.

But as for what I want from the thread... I'm not sure. I just felt like sharing stuff and seeing where it went. I don't think it's going anywhere though, so that's why I'm debating stopping. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Also I may be able to often see that there are mistakes, but that doesn't mean I know what to do about them. When I ask what to do, I keep getting told to not do anything custom and just splice, which isn't particularly helpful.

As for the healer, I think the color problem is mostly a contrast issue. While I just sample colors from official mugs that have the same base color I'm going for, that particular one relies on the standard gray and the standard white that are already part of the sprite and then I grabbed the shading color of another white garment. The problem is that is the three colors don't work together well even if that color worked fine to shade plain white on the source mug. I need something that better blends white with that dark grayish color.

I'll post one more WIP, but this thread probably isn't interesting enough to keep going

Gina_zps4668c326.png

I like her hair, there are like, I don't know, 3 different splices in there? Though the eyes are kinda strange.

I love it when spriters use this expression. It's such a cute, joyous expression, hard to put into words XD

Given the expression in the drawing I linked, I think it was pretty obvious which one I had to go to here :p

I like her hair, there are like, I don't know, 3 different splices in there? Though the eyes are kinda strange.

Yeah, I stole from 3 different sources for the hair, but it's still not what I wanted it to be, so I might hafta look for more things to add to it. Also, how are the eyes strange? Is it because I moved up the right OPV eye maybe? It was initially lower on the base face but it looked really weird to me being lopsided like that, so I tried leveling them. Maybe that was a mistake?

find a dark pink than the one you have for the wrinkles/folds in the scarf. You'll notice in vanilla mugs that the folds aren't outlines, but rather a darker color of the robe itself.

Not in the case of Cath, apparently. I didn't touch the shading at all, just recolored it.

If I do have to go in and figure out how to shade the folds myself, I'll probably have to get a new color set because I don't trust myself to "find" another pink that happens to work with the 2 shades already in it. It'll likely clash, so I'll need to just grab a mug with 3 shades of pink in it already and use that. I'll also need to eliminate a color before I add a new one, but that's easy.