Contests

Dragoncat

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever do contests?

• Yes
    • No

Wondering if anyone does much with Pokemon Contests. They made their debut in RSE. I like their return in ORAS, and I love how they utilize the camera...but I kinda wanted the dress up thing from DPPT to come back. It was fun ^_^ True, it was in BW, but the musical was a whole different thing and a major disappointment.

The contest costume can go die in a hole though. I hate dresses...why oh why can't I just wear the normal badass trainer outfit? But it does make this joke possible:

332qk9k.png

Credit to Plus5Pencil on Deviant Art of course.

I was in dire need of a Destiny Knot, so I made the most badass Pelipper imaginable (read: Tough), and proceeded to whomp everyone until one of my adoring fans gave it to me~!

Still want to recreate the Shuppet That Won Them All. . .one day. . .

I've really enjoyed the return to the contests I know and love, even more so because of some updated mechanics and the fact that you can max all conditions on one pokemon. Really streamlines the process if you're just going for the Lucarionite, but its also fun coming up with new movesets to use for each contest category. Oh, and the "shiny" ribbon effect your pokemon gets for mastering all five contests.

I wasn't as big a fan of the contest dress at first, but I don't mind it as much anymore since it's color coordinated with my chosen contest pokemon Diancie, kinda like how Altaria matches Lisia. Kinda makes me feel more like her rival that way.

Already beat all the contests and got the Lucarionite with my Contest Queen Diancie (and I love how its normal battle moves are perfect for beauty contests), but it was fun enough that I'm considering redo-ing each contest with one specialized pokemon in the future. If only the Garchompite is as entertaining to acquire.....only megastone I'm still missing.

I did a good amount of contests in the original games, but haven't really delved into them in the remakes. However, I will if the Battle Frontier comes, reason being that I'll want to do everything if the Battle Frontier comes, but won't really care enough without it.

I had fond memories of the contest in RSE (after being disappointed by the DPPt ones), but after having completed every contest up to unlocking Master Rank for every trait, I'm a bit disappointed. For some reason, every contest up till now have been a breeze, with my pokemon winning every contests by a wide margin. I remember feeling some tensions when the results where announced even in Hyper Rank. (and I was using 'winning strats' taken from the internet)

I haven't done a Master Rank yet, so I don't know if there's a sudden jump in difficulty.

I'm also a bit sad about the new Pokeblock creation system. I kinda liked the Spicy, Dry, Sweet, Bitter, Sour system the original had as well as the way you blended pokeblocks.

Also little nitpicky detail, but liked that there was a hall for each rank. It kinda gave more of a sense of progression and drew a parallel with gym.

I liked the little story involvement added by Lisia's inclusion. I found it funny when Chaz said he would have to test my worth in a contest right after I defeated him in a Super ranked contest. (I think I faced him 3-4 times)

I was in dire need of a Destiny Knot, so I made the most badass Pelipper imaginable (read: Tough), and proceeded to whomp everyone until one of my adoring fans gave it to me~!

Still want to recreate the Shuppet That Won Them All. . .one day. . .

I find it funny that they made the Destiny Knot so hard to get after simplifying the breeding process by adding a second daycare with a circular path as well as being right next to the IV checker.

I've really enjoyed the return to the contests I know and love, even more so because of some updated mechanics and the fact that you can max all conditions on one pokemon. Really streamlines the process if you're just going for the Lucarionite, but its also fun coming up with new movesets to use for each contest category. Oh, and the "shiny" ribbon effect your pokemon gets for mastering all five contests.

I wasn't as big a fan of the contest dress at first, but I don't mind it as much anymore since it's color coordinated with my chosen contest pokemon Diancie, kinda like how Altaria matches Lisia. Kinda makes me feel more like her rival that way.

Already beat all the contests and got the Lucarionite with my Contest Queen Diancie (and I love how its normal battle moves are perfect for beauty contests), but it was fun enough that I'm considering redo-ing each contest with one specialized pokemon in the future. If only the Garchompite is as entertaining to acquire.....only megastone I'm still missing.

Did you have to completely change your moveset between contest for it to work or was there 1 set that worked for every kind of contest with little modifications?

Also, do you still get portraits of your pokemon in the Lilycove museum and if so, do you have 5 portrait of Diancie? XD

I nearly have the Garchompite (having 912 flags), I could have it by the end of the week if I'm lucky in the amount of flags I get everyday

My Pelipper of Toughness made it with the following three moves:

- Stockpile

- Spit Up

- Swallow

from Normal to Master. The fourth move was irrelevant, as I never had the occasion to use it. As long as your Pokemon's condition is maxed, and you don't get stupidly unlucky (like being victim of Attract four times in a row), you'll be fine.

I really wish the player character had costumes for the other 4 contest types. I wanted Luchador May.

I find it funny that they made the Destiny Knot so hard to get after simplifying the breeding process by adding a second daycare with a circular path as well as being right next to the IV checker.

Its way easier to get the Destiny Knot by battling Young Couple Lois and Hal. If you beat them enough times they'll give you a Destiny Knot.

I really wish the player character had costumes for the other 4 contest types. I wanted Luchador May.

Hell yeah.

I'm working through the cool contest with Raider the manectric. His moves are thunderbolt, thunder wave, double team, quick attack. I love how the battle text is changed if you use a pokemon you use for contests...instead of "Go Raider!" you get "I know you can do it, Raider!" for example.

Its way easier to get the Destiny Knot by battling Young Couple Lois and Hal. If you beat them enough times they'll give you a Destiny Knot.

Even though it's easier, it's still not a 'reliable' way. You can't just pick the item off the ground and start breeding.

Hell yeah.

I'm working through the cool contest with Raider the manectric. His moves are thunderbolt, thunder wave, double team, quick attack. I love how the battle text is changed if you use a pokemon you use for contests...instead of "Go Raider!" you get "I know you can do it, Raider!" for example.

Doesn't it do the same thing when you have max Affection in Pokemon Amie?

I had fond memories of the contest in RSE (after being disappointed by the DPPt ones), but after having completed every contest up to unlocking Master Rank for every trait, I'm a bit disappointed. For some reason, every contest up till now have been a breeze, with my pokemon winning every contests by a wide margin. I remember feeling some tensions when the results where announced even in Hyper Rank. (and I was using 'winning strats' taken from the internet)

I haven't done a Master Rank yet, so I don't know if there's a sudden jump in difficulty.

I'm also a bit sad about the new Pokeblock creation system. I kinda liked the Spicy, Dry, Sweet, Bitter, Sour system the original had as well as the way you blended pokeblocks.

Also little nitpicky detail, but liked that there was a hall for each rank. It kinda gave more of a sense of progression and drew a parallel with gym.

I liked the little story involvement added by Lisia's inclusion. I found it funny when Chaz said he would have to test my worth in a contest right after I defeated him in a Super ranked contest. (I think I faced him 3-4 times)

Did you have to completely change your moveset between contest for it to work or was there 1 set that worked for every kind of contest with little modifications?

Also, do you still get portraits of your pokemon in the Lilycove museum and if so, do you have 5 portrait of Diancie? XD

I nearly have the Garchompite (having 912 flags), I could have it by the end of the week if I'm lucky in the amount of flags I get everyday

The master contests/Lisia's challenge are really the only ones you can actually lose in if you're not careful; all the others you will win automatically just on maxed condition.

And yeah, I had to switch it up some for every category, but that's why tms are so awesome; don't have to worry about wasting them for a good contest move set this time around. And yes, the museum is filled with portraits of my Diancie. It's a shrine to her greatness. But I still want to fill it with some more Pokes.

I'm so far away from 1000 flags that I have little drive to go around every day for a handful of flags. It's so boring to me compared to the contests, I'm probably just gonna trade mine over from X/Y or even powersave one if I'm really lazy. It's just too tedious for me. But good for you!

I wish I could contests, but I find them so pointless overall Kinda like collecting trophies in Smash, i don't see the actual purpose for it other than an added point to the game as something to do i guess

The master contests/Lisia's challenge are really the only ones you can actually lose in if you're not careful; all the others you will win automatically just on maxed condition.

And yeah, I had to switch it up some for every category, but that's why tms are so awesome; don't have to worry about wasting them for a good contest move set this time around. And yes, the museum is filled with portraits of my Diancie. It's a shrine to her greatness. But I still want to fill it with some more Pokes.

I'm so far away from 1000 flags that I have little drive to go around every day for a handful of flags. It's so boring to me compared to the contests, I'm probably just gonna trade mine over from X/Y or even powersave one if I'm really lazy. It's just too tedious for me. But good for you!

Yeah I just completed all the Master Contest and I had to restart the Cute Contest a couple of time (but it was the only one). I'm probably use my Gardevoir in a Clever contest against Lisia.

Making TMs reusable was such a great decision. I read that there were 15 places in the museum, which I like a lot if it's true since it means I'll be able to have the portrait of 10 other pokemon beside the 5 I just have (Sceptile, Volcarona, Altaria, Gardevoir, Steelix).

I was wondering how I would be able to gather all these flags until I found a thread that gave this tip: Every 8 hours, you can connect to the internet, which will update the Buzznav with Secret Base and Mirage Island. Go visit all the secret bases, talk to the owner and see how much flag they has. If they has 10 or higher, add them as a pal. Then go at your own base and talk to them and they'll give you the flags they collected that day, up to a total of 30. Using this method, I'm up to 986 flags in about 1.5 week. (Maybe you already knew about this method and this is what you called tedious, but I wanted to share in case some people didn't know about it)

Yeah I just completed all the Master Contest and I had to restart the Cute Contest a couple of time (but it was the only one). I'm probably use my Gardevoir in a Clever contest against Lisia.

Making TMs reusable was such a great decision. I read that there were 15 places in the museum, which I like a lot if it's true since it means I'll be able to have the portrait of 10 other pokemon beside the 5 I just have (Sceptile, Volcarona, Altaria, Gardevoir, Steelix).

I was wondering how I would be able to gather all these flags until I found a thread that gave this tip: Every 8 hours, you can connect to the internet, which will update the Buzznav with Secret Base and Mirage Island. Go visit all the secret bases, talk to the owner and see how much flag they has. If they has 10 or higher, add them as a pal. Then go at your own base and talk to them and they'll give you the flags they collected that day, up to a total of 30. Using this method, I'm up to 986 flags in about 1.5 week. (Maybe you already knew about this method and this is what you called tedious, but I wanted to share in case some people didn't know about it)

I know, I'm excited to get more portraits of other pokes! I really like the contest specific backgrounds.

Hmm, I suppose I could try this (didn't know this method). So hey, where's your base, hmmmm?..... >->

I know, I'm excited to get more portraits of other pokes! I really like the contest specific backgrounds.

Hmm, I suppose I could try this (didn't know this method). So hey, where's your base, hmmmm?..... >->

Same here. I had decided that I would only use pokemon that I really like this time around (in RSE, I used some that were good for a certain strat, not necessarily the ones I liked the most).

It really works, I got the Garchompite and my Platinum flag earlier this evening and am siting on 1039 flags (along with the Lucarionite when I bested Lisia earlier today. So I got all the Mega-Stones!) It's in the desert on route 111. In the cave the farthest to the right after you go up the Mach Bike slope. How about yours? >v>

Same here. I had decided that I would only use pokemon that I really like this time around (in RSE, I used some that were good for a certain strat, not necessarily the ones I liked the most).

It really works, I got the Garchompite and my Platinum flag earlier this evening and am siting on 1039 flags (along with the Lucarionite when I bested Lisia earlier today. So I got all the Mega-Stones!) It's in the desert on route 111. In the cave the farthest to the right after you go up the Mach Bike slope. How about yours? >v>

Yeah, while contests are probably way easier now, its nice that you can win with just about any pokemon for favorite pictures and stuff.

Guess, I'll try then. (Mine is in the little secluded tree island on the lake between Fallarbor Town and Meteor Falls)

Yeah, while contests are probably way easier now, its nice that you can win with just about any pokemon for favorite pictures and stuff.

Guess, I'll try then. (Mine is in the little secluded tree island on the lake between Fallarbor Town and Meteor Falls)

I guess that's a positive to contest being easier than in RSE.

It still takes time (1-2 weeks, maybe a bit more depending on how 'lucky' you are with the bases you get), but it takes way less time than just collecting the flag from the base you have favorited (I thought it would take me months). Good, I have no favorite base taking that spot

I loved contests in gen 4,and I'm glad they're back in ORAS.But,I've seen that jams are back,and I hate jamming.HATE IT.

From my experience, jamming don't really affect you that much since most jamming move I saw where the ones that affected the entirety of the participant. My biggest problem was with other pokemon maxing out the excitement and move that do as well was the previous appeals.

Finished my first contest and was upset at how they changed the finishing section.

The tension I used to feel when all the results would tally and you'd watch a sort of live feed of it was awesome, but now it's just like, flash flash flash flash, bang you're first, GG fucker.

I remember liking the contests in Sinnoh, but I haven't tried any in ORAS yet. I DO totally love the female character's contest outfit though, omigosh it's SO CUTE. :D

I'll probably try one eventually.

Edited by Anacybele

Just met Chaz for the first time.

Smug fuck walks in all like, "yo I'm not gonna be one of your fans 'cause fuck you".

Dude, you're not even important enough to get a unique character model, stick you're ugly rich boy face elsewhere.

That Machoke in the Cute/Beauty contests will scar my dreams.

Of the three contests I've hit Master rank on, the difficulty was Beauty > Cute >> Tough. I like the jamming moves, since that's how I won the Beauty contest (screw over everyone with Surf, and then get the audience super-hyped).

I don't like contests and never did them much since they started to bore me from the very start. (I'm apparently the only one here) Though the joke pic in the op is best!