Anyone else cringes at TANKY, magic-based, bosses?

Junkhead

tbh i don't see why tanky magic bosses are any more annoying than tanky physical bosses

Ehhh, I'd see tanky mage bosses as more annoying than tanky melee bosses because most units have lower Res than Def.

he's also on an FE6/8 throne too. He has more avoid than Lloyd when you factor that in. If you use general slaying weapons they have godawful hit and weigh your units down so they might not even double.

also bbm ephraim with 20 strength doesn't orko him lol, dunno where you got level 13 ephraim doing so.

IGNORE ME MISREAD WHAT YOU SAID

sure he technically 2RKO's at 50 hit and has to land 4 attacks without a 13% great shield proc activating. That's like me saying base Rath can OHKO Lloyd with the killer bow and Filla's might (one 19% crit at 40 hit which is actually probably more reasonable) - it's something that's technically possible that's almost never going to happen.

He's pretty much tough for the same reason Lloyd is, except he has great shield, higher avoid, throne healing and is in a much harder chapter. It's very easy to kill Lloyd in one turn. Ephraim even struggles to even hit Vigarde too, even with capped skill and luck he only has 68 hit, and he's one of the only units that's actually doubling him with a general slaying weapon. You're not killing him very easily otherwise. since he also has 18 resistance with throne bonuses.

Edited by General Horace

His defence is still really lame though, anyone with 16 strength and access to a Silver Lance can 2HKO him at reasonable hitrates. I guess there's always a chance for crits though.

swordreaver hawkeye also 2HKOs at base, and you can manipulate lloyd to attack hawkeye from 1-range (though this doesn't matter if you're 1-turning or 2-turning). but if you're going slow, hawkeye makes lloyd pretty easy, even if he does get doubled.

I've had some annoying experiences with Vigarde because of Great Shield and that tiny little bit of crit that he has.

he's also on an FE6/8 throne too. He has more avoid than Lloyd when you factor that in. If you use general slaying weapons they have godawful hit and weigh your units down so they might not even double.

also bbm ephraim with 20 strength doesn't orko him lol, dunno where you got level 13 ephraim doing so.

IGNORE ME MISREAD WHAT YOU SAID

sure he technically 2RKO's at 50 hit and has to land 4 attacks without a 13% great shield proc activating. That's like me saying base Rath can OHKO Lloyd with the killer bow and Filla's might (one 19% crit at 40 hit which is actually probably more reasonable) - it's something that's technically possible that's almost never going to happen.

He's pretty much tough for the same reason Lloyd is, except he has great shield, higher avoid, throne healing and is in a much harder chapter. It's very easy to kill Lloyd in one turn. Ephraim even struggles to even hit Vigarde too, even with capped skill and luck he only has 68 hit, and he's one of the only units that's actually doubling him with a general slaying weapon. You're not killing him very easily otherwise. since he also has 18 resistance with throne bonuses.

Hmmm... How would you say Carlyle stacks up in comparison? I know that Vigarde is harder, but I'm just curious.

I hate Carlyle for mostly the same reasons (luck based, high avo, crit chance). I think there was something exploitable about him though (can't crit from range I think) but it's been so long since I've played this game.

I hate Carlyle for mostly the same reasons (luck based, high avo, crit chance). I think there was something exploitable about him though (can't crit from range I think) but it's been so long since I've played this game.

Hmmm. Even so, being unable to crit from range doesn't help the player all that much unless they've got someone who can use bows - it ain't like mages will do much to him...

if you're playing quickly Carlyle is pretty annoying, but he does like, 3? damage to base Saleh. If you just attack him with Magic from Range he'll eventually die with little risk.

For some reason his stats aren't in the boss stats section on SF :(

EDIT: just kidding I just missed him somehow.

Turns out Carlyle does 2 damage to Saleh at base (technically 4 damage and he doubles but w/e) and Saleh does 10 a hit with Elfire. Alternatively Innes takes 6x2 and hits for 15 damage with Silver. The game also gives you a swordreaver mid-chapter, and if you hung around for a bit in chapter 13 you have a swordslayer. Base Dozla OHKO's him with the swordslayer.

He's not very threatening honestly, he's just hard to hit. Orson is pretty annoying for the same reasons, except he's actually pretty tanky.

Edited by General Horace

if you're playing quickly Carlyle is pretty annoying, but he does like, 3? damage to base Saleh. If you just attack him with Magic from Range he'll eventually die with little risk.

For some reason his stats aren't in the boss stats section on SF :(

Bold: Wait, really? I saw them when I checked...

The rest: I see. Still, trying to have Saleh land a bunch of 50s (or 55s) is irritating no matter which way you slice it.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Yeah, I just missed it somehow, the 15A boss underneath Vigarde just threw me off.

Regardless, Carlyle can't even OHKO base purewatered Seth with a crit, so if Seth has hit 16 speed he's pretty much immortal against him. Or Gerik or something. He's definately irritating though.

EDIT: Actually if you've been using Joshua seriously its entirely possible for him to have 23 speed by that point probably. Haven't played FE8 in a long time other than my LTC where bosses just felt the wrath of the RNG.

back on topic though, are there even any defensively tanky magic bosses other than Lyon? I guess Alvis/Julius but they're all endgame bosses with plot importance. They're clearly wearing plot armour.

Edited by General Horace

Yeah, I just missed it somehow, the 15A boss underneath Vigarde just threw me off.

Regardless, Carlyle can't even OHKO base purewatered Seth with a crit, so if Seth has hit 16 speed he's pretty much immortal against him. Or Gerik or something. He's definately irritating though.

EDIT: Actually if you've been using Joshua seriously its entirely possible for him to have 23 speed by that point probably. Haven't played FE8 in a long time other than my LTC where bosses just felt the wrath of the RNG.

back on topic though, are there even any defensively tanky magic bosses other than Lyon? I guess Alvis/Julius but they're all endgame bosses with plot importance. They're clearly wearing plot armour.

The only one coming to mind is Validar, who's plot relevant.