Sleep

Psych

I've recently been having some ideas and not really sure how I want to write them down or share them or what, so I decided to try a little something different. For those of you unfamiliar with MS Paint Adventures and Homestuck, readers would give commands to the characters and prompt and help proceed with the story. I want to try something a bit similar and see what I can do with it. Just post an answer to the question and I'll choose the best one or the one I think I can do the most with. Short answers are preferred.

Read the story in a vaccuum http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=f2a8254e0ac8cb2072493018cf39e314&search_author=Psych&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsortKey%5D=date&cType=topic&cId=51581&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsortKey%5D=date&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsearchInKey%5D=&search_term=&search_app=forums&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsearchInKey%5D=&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsortKey%5D=date&search_app_filters%5Bforums%5D%5BsortDir%5D=1

MwxUG0e.png

A young man is sleeping in the woods on his bedroll. A warm fire glows beside him while he slumbers. This part of the woods is known for being quiet peaceful, and birds can be heard singing in the branches. The cool breeze is gently waking this man. What is his name?

Edited by Psych

Y71uZJt.png

Yes, your name is Magnus, you remember now. You're always groggy after sleeping and can't hardly remember a thing. But luckily your character sheet says your name right there. Oh wait, that's right, the rest of it is blank. You really ought to remember to fill these things out, how else will anyone get to know you otherwise?

I suppose we should start with your combat style? How do you like to fight? What weapon are you carrying? Or maybe you know magic?

Edited by Psych

Magnus likes to keep his battles quick and dirty, making good use of agility and the element of surprise. Got two daggers to get the job done.

Magnus realised that he was so incompetent at fighting that he has two daggers(missing the sharp pointy tips) thrust into his body(ouch, apparently he is a heavy sleeper) and he's actually holding an unstrung bow that is missing its lower half like some shitty sword. He vaguely remembers that he can summon great darkness only in areas with no light all magically.

DXCTYLm.png

Why do you even have this Shitty Sword? You're so bad at swordplay you're surprised you haven't cut your hand off yet. In fact, that's why you came out to the forest in the first place. You're trying to get better at actually fighting stuff and not running away, which your Running Boots help you do. You also have an Old Cloak and after you fill out all your stats, Health, Mana, Strength, Magic, Speed, Defense, Resistance, and Luck, it appears you seem to fall into what is called the Knight class. Except knights are brave and strong and defend princesses and kill monsters and go on adventures and things. And you're here, in the woods.

dWZYQc1.png

You clean up your campsite and head deeper into the woods, looking for maybe something to train your sword on. Like a bunny. But hopefully not one that's too vicious. Just one that hops and chews flowers and stuff like that. God you're pathetic. As you continue on, you come to a clearing with a forked path. You can continue down hill as you hear some water down there, or try going uphill, but those tress look pretty spooky.

Where do you go?

Edited by Psych

To the spooky trees! If there are unfriendly ghosts then it's okay because ghosts aren't corporeal so his sword will be useless so he can run away without feeling bad about it! It's the smart thing! Really!

41cEVo8.png

You head up the hill and see a beautiful vista of far off mountains and trees that seem to swallow the horizon. The woods go on and on, and you notice a pillar of smoke rising from somewhere far off. Bravely, you put one foot in front of the other and head into the sea of trees. You have entered the Dark Woods.

7DQIHJd.png

You walk in circles for hours, and any sunlight that might still be up is consumed by the dense branches that loom over this place. As you continue, you feel like you hear things, and keep checking over your shoulder. The sooner you're out of these woods the better. You end up coming upon a clearing, illuminated by a fire, presumably the one you saw earlier. A man seems to be talking to himself and staring intensely at the flames. It looks like that must be his shack. Could anyone live out here?

Do you go talk to the man, or eavesdrop from behind the tree?

Edited by Psych

DIDuHeT.png

You hear the man whispering to himself. He uses a lot of complicated words and phrases, and you aren't sure what a lot of it means. He's talking very fast and you can only catch parts of his soliloquy. "...and if one is able...the inverse coefficient...elemental harmony...meditative state..."

vznLWqk.png

He pulls out a scroll, unraveling it and reading aloud. The words begin to glow, and a strange humming fills the air, his eyes go blank and he seems almost possessed, before a huge lightning bolt strikes down just feet from where you are standing! "What was that?!" You shout. You startle the man and his eyes and demeanor return to normal.

"Oh my, I didn't expect anyone to be here! I apologize, I was simply testing out my new research. That is the result of months of research, that bolt of energy. I have finally found out how to harness magic!" He exclaims, unable to contain his excitement.

"Magic? Magic isn't real. It's just boring party tricks like lightning a candle, or shocking someone when you shake their hand. No one can do REAL magic." You say, not quite understanding what the man is trying to say.

"Ah yes, normally that is true. But let me explain."

2TecITa.png

"Magic is the invocation of mana. Most warriors use mana to fuel themselves in battle, as it can allow for tremendous strength and energy. But Magic is performed when one is able to use mana to invoke an Element. 8 Elements govern the laws of Magic; Water, Fire, Wind, Holy, Lightning, Ice, Earth, and Vile. These elements combine to create the lifeforce in every living being known as mana.

Typically, calling forth an Element to infuse your mana with power is almost impossible. It requires such massive amounts that using it in a combative environment is impossible, as the stress of battle prevents focus. Thus, it is reduced to simple tricks and slight of hand. In fact, some scholars believe there is no longer enough mana in people to use Magic anymore.

....Or at least that's what they told me at the academy. Through my research, I've been studying a phenomenon known as 'Sleep'"

"You mean the thing you do every night?" You interrupt.

"Not exactly, but it is similar. When you sleep at night, your body is able to produce and replenish any mana you may have used during the day. Sleep is a state of being one can invoke during battle, a realm between the consciousness and unconsciousness. It mimics the act of sleeping."

bzmj1dm.png

"By substituting the mana one is to expend naturally, with the actual force of one's life, you can use that massive amount of power to actually cast Magic. And I've just proven my hypothesis correct!

....But it's not perfect yet. It's all just conjecture at this point, but should something go wrong, one could actually lose their life in this process. Using up all of your mana and disregarding the strain it puts on your body could lead to death. Though for the power to summon tornadoes, snowstorms, and fireballs I'm sure some would say it is worth it."

"That all sounds really dangerous. It could hurt a lot of people. Why do you want to study this? And why are you out here anyway?"

"That is true, it certainly could be. But think of what it could also do to help people! You could bring rain to a region plagued by drought, or who knows what else! And I am out on field research because....I simply prefer it to academia. And if you must know, I am currently on expedition looking for a Witch! She is said to be potentially the last magic user in the world! Or well...I guess she was until I just summoned a lightning bolt. Anyway, if you're going deeper into the woods, I must insist on going along. I need to search for her, and recently there have been monsters appearing. It's getting quite dangerous."

"Alright, I guess if you can do that Magic thing we'll be okay. Oh I don't think I bothered to introduce myself either, I'm Magnus." You say, extending your hand.

"Yes, and I'm....."

What is this man's name?

Edited by Psych

r6UkC15.png

It appears the man's name is Therin. As you can see on his character sheet, he is a Mage, with stats that seem to support that. His Aged Scroll helps him cast spells, but is not that great for normal attacks. He wears a Big Hat, and has an Owl Trinket that he says imparts knowledge for this who are in trouble, but it kind of just creeps you out. You swear you saw it blink. It appears Therin's stat sheet also has a spot for Elemental Alignment. His is currently marked down as Lightning. You don't currently have one yourself, but maybe you'll figure out how to get one some day.

2MrPwnn.png

Therin also has a second page to his character sheet. This one seems to be filled with various spells he can cast. All the basics are there, Fireball, Whirlwind, Lightning Bolt. He also can use Snowblast and another spell called Investigate, which allows him to ramble off various information about enemies you might be facing. The corner shows how his Lightning spell will deal additional damage to Water enemies. He keeps babbling about "super effective" this and "elemental advantage" that but you're ignoring him and continue walking through the woods.

k4bLt3a.png

It's not long before you run into a monster, and this one appears to be a spirit. Therin notices your sword, and takes this opportunity to ask about your combat prowess. "Magnus, you can't just go running blindly into battle, you have to have a strategy. For example, you might use a normal Attack, or even special Skills. You can also change your Equipment if you have something that might work better against a new foe, and we have Items we can use to heal or replenish mana. And we could Run if we get in trouble too. Oh! That reminds me! If you press THE A BUTTON after landing an attack, you can do bonus damage!"

He keeps rambling but you start phasing him out. Man that guy loves to talk. So what's your strategy for this obviously easy tutorial fight?

Edited by Psych

• 4 weeks later...

irOacwu.png

It appears that by mashing THE A BUTTON, you seemed to have bugged the game. You skip the fight which ends about a month in the future, and see the End of Battle screen. Therin and Magnus have leveled up, but it doesn't seem like anyone has learned any new abilities or found any items.

SRyIY5C.png

The party continues through the woods until they come upon a ruined house. It seems old a decrepit, and has probably seen better days, with weeds growing out front and parts of the roof cracked and falling in. An ominous dread fills the air, and Therin remarks that the house feels almost magical. With no other plans, the two step inside.

sGhXhHX.png

While a bit dusty, it is an otherwise normal house. Though a bit dark, Therin takes a look around, noting that it seems someone has been here recently. He remarks that voices seem to be coming from downstairs to the left, and you head that way.

FqLXGGg.png

At the bottom of the stairs, you and Therin step into a dark basement. Flames flicker and lick the walls with shadows reaching everywhere. A long girl is chanting something strange, and jumps when she notices you.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" Therin steps forward, talking very quickly. "You! You're doing magic! How is that possible?"

"What? How the-? Whatever, fine. Yes, I am. I'm a Witch of the Woods! Or at least an apprentice. My granny is the real Witch, I'm just learning from her for now. I live here and I was just finishing something before going to see her. What are you people doing here? No one ever comes this far into the woods."

Therin explains his quest, and desire to meet her grandmother and learn more about magic, but she scoffs at him, before getting a look on her face that worries the two boys. "Granny won't meet with just anyone. We live way out in these dark woods to hide our magic after all....But maybe I'll take you to her."

8nrfebO.png

"Granny lives way out in the woods, in an old tree. Her house is shrouded in a strange magic, preventing people from seeing it unless you've already been there. So I'll take you to her and explain your situation if you help me. See, I need to bring her a Spring Cherry for a special potion, but I can't find any in the woods, and Granny is very particular about me going into town. She worries about people finding out about our magic. I need you to get me one. But don't try anything funny! Granny's magic is very powerful! She can curse you, or turn you into a frog, or put you to sleep for a thousand years!....or at least that's what all the stories say."

wdMEf7U.png

You remark that she hasn't told you her name yet, and then introduce yourself and Therin. The girl says she can't tell them her name, as it's the source of her magic, and if one was to know it, it could potentially turn her magic against her. She says even for an apprentice, she knows a lot of spells, like Tractor Beam, Explosion, Polymorph, Leaf Storm, and Vamp Drain. She seems to have a Vile magic affinity, which is effective on Holy enemies.

UTqvO0C.png

You agree to the deal, and set off out of the woods, towards town. The witch explains that she will wait here while the boys find the Spring Cherry. She mentions that if there aren't any in the Shop, to try the Castle. A large festival is planned for the Princess' birthday tomorrow, and they might have some somewhere.

XvZWWAv.png

In town, it appears as busy as ever, with plans under way for the Princess' birthday. Several stores are still open, included the General Shop, the Inn, and the Jeweler. A soldier is standing guard in front of the walkway to the palace, and it seems he won't let anyone through for now.

zvAGsFM.png

Heading into the Shop, you take a look at the items on sale. Bananas, a Pineapple, an Angel's Kiss, a Mana Potion, a Lantern, a Wind Barrette, a Love Charm, a Pretty Ribon, and a Bone are all on sale, but no, no Cherries. Wondering what to do, you step back outside, as you here a large commotion.

7zd7tu8.png

It appears the Princess and the Queen have made an appearance in town. The Princess waves at the citizens and smiles at some children. She seems very happy, and the whole crowd seems to take notice of her. It feels as if she's looking straight at Magnus. The queen on the other hand appears very busy, and holds her sleeve to her face as if she is smelling something foul. Before long, the Queen ushers the guards out, and the Princess heads back to the castle, looking a bit dejected. Therin sees them leave, and makes a remark. "There's something off about the Queen." The soldier that had previously blocked off the way to the Castle seems to have left.

With the store out of stock and no other plans, you aren't quite sure of your next plan of action. Therin says he could go check in at his Academy, or they could look around at the other stores. It seems you do have some money on you if you wanted to spend it. Or is there something else you might want to do?

Edited by Psych