How to use FEditor?

Anacybele

No, I don't mean how do I go about editing FE GBA games with it, I mean how do I actually get it working so I can do that?

See, I normally used FEPlanet's sprite tools for my sprite comics (as well as spriting in general), but they've been down for months now due to the site more or less getting overhauled or something. The staff told me that they'll eventually be fixed, but it's taking quite some time, so I've decided to temporarily use FEditor since awhile back, I was told that it could help.

But it seems that while I can download the file, I can't open it. I apparently don't have anything on my laptop that can do so. FEditor is Java based, but don't all computers have Java?

Edited by Anacybele

I think so...but it might help if you say what kind of laptop you have. Windows or mac, stuff like that.

Maybe try going to Java's site and looking through the troubleshooting stuff?

the java runtime environment does not natively come installed on windows 8 machines

e:

i suppose for the sake of trying to be helpful you should also decompress the 7zip archive that FEditor typically comes in

the executable is FEditor.jar

Edited by CT075

Oh.

Well, it seems I still can't download it anyway. AVG views something in it as a threat and after how many problems I had with my previous laptop, I don't want to risk anymore of that.

I can confirm that java is completely legit, AVG is just a little paranoid. If I recall it auto detects whether it's 32 or 64 bit, just make sure it's the one that matches your OS.

Yeah, I think sometimes AVG is a little TOO good. It viewed one of my Zoo Tycoon 2 expansion packs as a threat... o.O

And it kept detecting threats and blocking stuff as I installed this thing. Geez.

It would be really helpful to outline the steps you've taken.

When you downloaded and ran the Java Runtime Environment did the installer walk you through the installation and successfully install Java?

Did you unpack FEditor from it's archive? A lot folks mistakenly think a .zip file (or other similar archive) is a program you can run. What it really is, is a sort of "suitcase" that contains the program. Tools like 7Zip do the heavy lifting of extracting the program and related files from the archive.

First I installed Java, yes it installed correctly and it walked me through and all. Then I downloaded and tried to open FEditor by clicking "open with" and Java. That's all I can say on the "steps" I took.

I know what a .zip file is. It's a compressed set of stuff that you have to "unzip" or extract in order to use. But this FEditor file is a .7z file, which I've never seen before. It's not a .zip file.

Well, I never saw an option to extra/unzip it...

You need to download 7-zip or Win RAR.

I don't know if we're allowed to link a 7zip installer, but a quick google search should help you out.

Open the 7 zip file manager. You can use this program to extract your file.

Also, you'll need a FE6/7/8 (7 is best for it, iirc) ROM... I recall you saying that you don't want to emulate, which unless you're making a patch for someone else to screen capture, you'll have to for this way.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

Oh. Well, I wouldn't be getting the ROM to play the game... I suppose I would have no choice.

This is starting to sound really complicated though. I'm not sure if I really want to try this anymore...

Edited by Anacybele

Some of the newer Feditor's won't run for me by attempting to open the executable jar file directly. Running the program from the command line however works perfectly. Somewhere in the main FEditor folder theres a windows batch file titled "run". Try running that instead of trying to open the java executable directly, Tell me if that works.

This is starting to sound really complicated though. I'm not sure if I really want to try this anymore...

What's so complicated about it? It's a program for extracting hypercompressed (or whatever the word is) files, not much else to it.

Also, it might be helpful if you gave us screenshots to show what you're doing.

...But I don't have a folder, just one file that says FEditor.

That might be your problem. You didn't just download the jar executable by itself did you? Where did you get Feditor from?

Now that I think about it, you might have just extracted the jar executable, while leaving everything else compressed.

Edited by General Ciraxis