Fire Emblem + Pokemon's mechanics?

AwesomeSauce

I am not good at much, least of all computers, but I thought "I have this idea for a game, so why not post it to Serenes Forest?" This whole idea came from my thought of "What if Fire Emblem was a more traditional RPG, or had a battle system like Pokemon?" This might be considered to not be something that belongs on a Fire Emblem website, but it pretty much fits in with the whole theme of Fire Emblem, plus I have no idea where else to put it, so here's my idea for it Fire Emblem/Pokemon game... thing.

It would go somewhat like this: You are a prince/Princess of a kingdom on a continent I have yet to name. You receive a letter from one of your most trusted advisers about an issue in the northern part of the kingdom. That is all the story I have at this point, I mostly have the gameplay aspects worked out:

Battles will be in a traditional Pokemon style, but without Pokemon, and (unsurprisingly) with soldiers instead. You traverse the overworld like in Pokemon, and there would be characters to recruit, as opposed to "catch" like in Pokemon. These characters could come through the story, or there might be enemies that might spot you, Pokemon style, and give you and option box with Talk or Fight in it. Another way is there might just be characters standing around that you can talk to and recruit. Now, Instead of Pokemon centers, you can heal your soldiers at places named Bases (like a military base) that will have a generic Cleric model as the healer instead of Nurse Joy, and the Army's General (Basically Jagen) acting as a PC. The PC boxes would be called "Barracks" (However you make that plural). And now, onto the Menu! It would open up and give you six Options: Inventory (Like the Bag in Pokemon), Party (Soldiers you have with you), Equip (How you add "Moves/ Weapons" to your party)*, Roster (Pokedex for soldiers), Save, and Options.

*Now about those "Moves". You will be able to buy weapons, and you can equip them to individual soldiers, and as always they will eventually break. This will be under "Attack" command in the battle menu. You can also buy Healing Staves, as well as Items such as Potions or other healing things. Those, you can equip up to 20 of, and using one in battle will use one up (obviously). These things will be under a command in the battle menu probably called "Heal" or something. There will be all the traditional Fire Emblem weapon types, of course. (Sword, Axe, Lance, Etc.) Each weapon type will have a single animation that will be used for all of their type (With the Exception of Tomes, Staves and Special weapons like the Levin Sword). Mostly to cut down on all the animations, because I'm hoping there could be one for every character. The other two parts will simply be "Party" and "Retreat".

Now, on to the more story related stuff. The story would progress by defeating Fortresses and Generals like Gyms and Gym Leaders. You will have a rival like May/Brendan, who is the Prince/Princess of an allied nation. The "Rival" will have a team of two people + themselves which will join you after the 5th Fortress is taken down.

And I think that is all I have thought of on that. If I think of anything else, I might put it down here, but this is probably waaaaay too big of a project for someone who barely knows how to use a computer. Also, considering my limited knowledge of computers, I have probably ruined this entire thing, or something. Yeah...

Edited by AwesomeSauce

You should play Pokemon Conquest on DS.

Not exactly FE's mechanics, but pretty close.

Exactly what I was thinking of when I had the idea. I used to mess around with some tools to edit Pokemon Emerald, so maybe I could use that? You know what, I'll try that!

Edited by AwesomeSauce

• 2 weeks later...

You should play Pokemon Conquest on DS.

Not exactly FE's mechanics, but pretty close.

I'd also recommend Majin Tensei for SNES, were it not for the fact that nobody has translated it yet.

I'd also recommend Majin Tensei for SNES, were it not for the fact that nobody has translated it yet.

I think Gideon Zhi posted some progress shots a couple months ago? I don't follow the game, but I seem to remember some translation posts on it.

so...it's final fantasy?

No, I was thinking that it would be 1-on-1 battles, and there would be a large cast of characters, not just 7 or 8. Unless we're talking about Final Fantasy 6. But still, I was thinking that there would be as many playable characters and enemies as there are Pokemon in gen. 3.