The Convoy System

Ambulz

I've honestly never been a fan of "Main Lord magically being a convoy boy." I rather liked the idea of an actual merchant handling the convoy. For instance, I think it would have made more sense if Awakening had used Anna as the convoy person. Though I guess it's part mechanical where Chrom is required for nearly every map so it's convenient to just use him as the convoy.

I've hardly ever used the convoy in-battle mainly because I'm a fan of planning ahead and stocking characters with all the weapons they could need for the map.

Unlimited items is nice, though I never noticed a problem with the maximum items in prior games.

Merchant characters are cool, and if there were a merchant character that worked like Merlinus in the new game I would have zero problems with that (though I do wonder...if the choosing sides is a thing, would there be a different merchant depending on the side you choose?).

I believe that if you either do not deploy merlinus in FE7, or if he has to flee during the chapter, you lose the ability to deposit items when your inventory is full. What I mean is that if, for instance, Merlinus is off the battlefield, and you collect a 6th item, you then have to discard one of those 6 items rather than storing it.

That is correct, yes. Merlinus lets you both withdraw *and* deposit, so keeping him alive is even more important than I made it out to be in my previous post.

Merlinus can promote to a wagon in FE7. I believe it happens if he survives a map at lvl 20, but it might happen at lvl 19 for all I know. He still doesn't take up a slot after getting his wagon.

I believe that if you either do not deploy merlinus in FE7, or if he has to flee during the chapter, you lose the ability to deposit items when your inventory is full. What I mean is that if, for instance, Merlinus is off the battlefield, and you collect a 6th item, you then have to discard one of those 6 items rather than storing it.

If this game has a substantial postgame like FE13 did, then I want the ability to hoard like crazy. If it plays more like most FEs, then I don't really care if there's a limit as long as it's not ridiculously low.

True for 7, not for 6. Furthering his low usefulness there...It's handy, but one attack and he's out.

Well, if he worked in FE7, then I see no reason why he shouldn't work in FE14

Yeah I know it would work but I'm just not sure how likely it is that the game designers will use another Merlinus character is all. It'd be cool if they did though.

I think the convoy should stay on the lord and I read a reason for the opposite of that and it was literally "where is my realism?" to be fair, if realism should exist on FE, the devs wouldn't have made mounted units inherently slower than swordmasters and not had magic exist at all. also dragons and staves and how the fuck is the horseslayer effect realistically possible? (Halberd granted)

Edited by Gradivus.

Well, if he worked in FE7, then I see no reason why he shouldn't work in FE14

I doubt it mainly because unless he shows up first chapter and they omitted him from the traliers most 3ds feautures would not work right dlc or spotpass for example or especially the items returing to convoy when units die thing cause you could give plot sword to someone then kill them.

I think the convoy should stay on the lord and I read a reason for the opposite of that and it was literally "where is my realism?" to be fair, if realism should exist on FE, the devs wouldn't have made mounted units inherently slower than swordmasters and not had magic exist at all. also dragons and staves and how the fuck is the horseslayer effect realistically possible? (Halberd granted)

sorry for the nitpick but the mounted speed thing i dont get cause speed to me is how good you can dodge and swing your weapon twice which mounted units might have trouble with how you can fight after taking a charging paladins lance is anothers thing entirely of course.

Speed is Speed, how fast you are lol. Horses are quicker than humans. I was addressing the realism point, not which things are influenced by Speed and which should. And if Lances are hard to swing quickly according to your argument, why do Falcoknights have a good Spd cap, particularly in awakening where they don't wield swords? and why was con of a paladin better than of a swordmaster in GBA FE, which entails that they are better at using heavy weapons?

Note that I don't care about FE realism, I'm pointing out why it doesn't exist.

Edited by Gradivus.

Yah neither do i but horses are faster but i was pointing out speed isnt move rate a sword master should be good at using a light weapon to attack faster than a guy on horse back and dodge better too (horses im pretty sure are not good at dodging well besides running past them. Your other points i have to problems with any honestly im just bored and my thoughts are not always great wording thingys at night. Also wanted to see your comeback. Any way realism ya right i mean its turn based ... Also as you mention magic and dragons and staffs.

Speed is Speed, how fast you are lol. Horses are quicker than humans. I was addressing the realism point, not which things are influenced by Speed and which should. And if Lances are hard to swing quickly according to your argument, why do Falcoknights have a good Spd cap, particularly in awakening where they don't wield swords? and why was con of a paladin better than of a swordmaster in GBA FE, which entails that they are better at using heavy weapons?

Note that I don't care about FE realism, I'm pointing out why it doesn't exist.

Actually, it's not that bad. The kind of speed that you're talking about is reflected more in the movement range of the units where mounted units can generally move much farther than grounded units. And no, not all speed equates. There's a difference between how quickly something can move on a straight path, and how quickly something can shift paths. And in the second sense, I believe goodperson is right. Granted, I've never ridden a horse before, but from my understanding, they don't turn very well at high speed. So a warrior trained to move quickly and avoid attacks rather than block them (such as sword master) could feasibly have the timing to avoid an attack from a mounted unit. Add on the fact that the mounted units in the game have heavier armor, which adds momentum and makes it even harder to change paths, and it's really not that much of a stretch. Especially in the cutscenes in newer games showing characters performing physical feats already outside of human ability. The armor also helps explain the higher speed for peg knights since their armor is always lighter than cavaliers. As for the horseslayer attribute, you admitted that the halberd made sense, but while the zanbato is a fictional weapon, it may have been based on the nagamaki or the chinese zhanmadao, which were large swords designed for use on cavalry. As for the lance version, I can't recall much about their appearances in the games, but in real life, naginatas, and pikes were excellent anti-cavalry weapons. The one that makes the least sense to me is the armorslayer, since I believe they're usually represented by pretty hefty looking swords that look like chopping or slashing weapons, but you were much more likely to get through heavier plate armor with a thrust. (So the rapiers having that attribute makes sense)

Edited by flyingpotatosalad

wow, that nitpicking. at least goodperson posted comprehensible posts. maybe I made a bad example for why realism isn't a thing in FE. now? do you think I'm gonna memorize the names of chinese weapons? though nothing counters my point about mages yet, round 2, go!

Edited by Gradivus.

I'm thinking that a high cap, like 500 or 750, would make things so that you don't have a super insane amount of stuff postgame. I think accessing your convoy in battle is useful if necessary, but based on what I've played of Awakening I wasn't using too much. If you forget to arm that one unit it's good, though.

Glad you decided to read the post after all. I agree, nothing's going to explain away magic, or the dragons and pegasi, or the humans transforming into other creatures, etc. I was just saying that in terms of the melee combat, there's a pretty good amount of realism. Although thinking about it now, the most unrealistic aspect of it would probably be the weapon triangle.

But on topic, I could go either way with the in-battle convoy. I think the restock option in particular made it a bit unnecessary, but it is nice to have the option since I imagine even the best players miss a step every once in a while. Or in case something unexpected happens and you have to reequip for that. If there is an in-battle convoy, I think I would prefer a separate unit so you can move the convoy where it's needed without having to take your lord away from whatever you had him doing.

Edited by flyingpotatosalad

The convey systems of old are really dated. I think unlimited holding is the standard and should remain the standard for SRPGs. It's to much preping for random things like getting a swarm of items before entering a place. Oh no I wasn't expecting 20 more items now I have to throw away good stuff. It doesn't really make sense with the theme or anything.