Difficulty.

Light Master

111 members have voted

1. 1. What level of difficulty you like the new game have ????

• Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
    • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon/New Mystery.
    • Fire Emblem: Blazing Sworld (Japan)/Sworld of Seals
    • Fire Emblem (GBA)
    • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    • Fire Emblem: Awakening.
    • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't play the games before the GBA era but I found the difficulty in the Tellius series (especially Radiant Dawn) and the localized GBA games suitable.

Binding Blade might have been a little berserk-heavy.

Anyways, definitely a higher difficulty than Awakening, anything to make the lifes of those casual players harder, hehe.

Edit: In case you didn't notice, I was messing around. Awakening still was way too easy, though.

Edited by FierceRagnar

FE8 and 9 (western version) were too easy on highest difficulty.

FE11 and 12 had a good range of different difficulties: From easy (for newcomers) to superhard. So I vote for them.

Anyway I don't want to see anything like the lunatic + skills back. It was a terrible idea to make a game artificially harder.

Edited by The Taninator

I thought FE4 had good difficulty, gave a good challenge at times.

Forseti alone nullifies challenge. I mean, if you're doing a substitute only run, it's fine. But the moment pairings happen, holy shit.

Anyway, I say bring on the Thracia. At least the game, for all of its dickery, had a lot of interesting mechanics that never returned.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Forseti alone nullifies challenge. I mean, if you're doing a substitute only run, it's fine. But the moment pairings happen, holy shit.

Anyway, I say bring on the Thracia. At least the game, for all of its dickery, had a lot of interesting mechanics that never returned.

I actually liked Thracia's difficulty, aside from the Fatigue system which made things annoying for me. Capture is probably the coolest mechanic I've seen in an FE game so far.

Didn't play the games before the GBA era but I found the difficulty in the Tellius series (especially Radiant Dawn) and the localized GBA games suitable.

Binding Blade might have been a little to berserk-heavy..

Anyways, definitely a higher difficulty than Awakening, anything to make the lifes of those casual players harder, hehe. :P

Bold.I don't get this,why punish those for playing a game how they want?I mean it may sound bias cause I tend to play casual but I play games to relax not stress myself.At least on casual I get to take my time and not worry to much about my units.It really makes no sense if a creator of a game said 'I am gonna punish you for not playing my game the 'proper' way' while there is no 'proper' way to play a game.

Bold.I don't get this,why punish those for playing a game how they want?I mean it may sound bias cause I tend to play casual but I play games to relax not stress myself.At least on casual I get to take my time and not worry to much about my units.It really makes no sense if a creator of a game said 'I am gonna punish you for not playing my game the 'proper' way' while there is no 'proper' way to play a game.

I agree with Azz here. There's a reason higher difficulty is optional. I too prefer to turtle up and take my time and developing units than take huge risks. There's no proper way, only ways that work. LTC works. Speed running works. Taking it slow works.

Since it'll probably go with Awakening's difficulty system or something similar, I say keep Normal as easiest as possible for new players (Awakening's level is good), raise the difficulty of Hard a bit while Lunatic's should be downgraded a bit to make them closer to each other, Lunatic+ should have fixed skills or no skills at all.

Since it'll probably go with Awakening's difficulty system or something similar, I say keep Normal as easiest as possible for new players (Awakening's level is good), raise the difficulty of Hard a bit while Lunatic's should be downgraded a bit to make them closer to each other, Lunatic+ should have fixed skills or no skills at all.

I mostly agree with what you're saying here but for the proposed reduction of difficulty in the Lunatic mode. While I get that there is an issue in making the leap from Hard to Lunatic in Awakening, the only change that should be made to rectify that is to make Hard actually hard. I personally like soul-crushingly difficult modes (that aren't bull shit like Lunatic+) and would honestly like Lunatic to be more difficult, though I'd be content with Lunatic staying the same.

Edited by The Legendary Falchion

I don't really care about normal mode, so probably around Awakening's would be alright. For hard mode, I'd like it to be about at level with Radiant Dawn's (North American version) Hard mode, and then have Lunatic end up even harder than that. Should there be a Lunatic+ like with Awakening, I want the enemy skills to be set, rather than randomized.

Edited by Monado Boy

Awakening is my favorite because of how easy it is, with grinding and all that. 8U; I wouldn't mind Casual mode and Awakening's Easy/Hard returning. That said, Fire Emblem is known for its difficulty in some places, so Lunatic should return, but it shouldn't be complete garbage like Lunatic +, cuz god I gave up even AFTER trying to level grind for Chapter 6. 8U;

There honestly isn't any point, the game is best when it lets people play however they're most comfortable.If a casual player wants to improve their skills more than the player can increase the difficulty and choosing whether they want casual mode on or off, They don't really need the difficulty of their preffered setting forcefully raised in a following entry.

I think some players are too quick to think that everyone should play by their rules(how they play the game) that they don't realize designing the whole game and all modes to their liking alienates the rest of the audience. Like if we look at the results of this most people want Radiant Dawn kind of difficulty, but the highest difficulty of Radiant Dawn is too easy for players like me and the lowest difficulty is likely too difficult for other players.

Personally I'd like to see something between Shadow Dragon, New Mystery and Awakening's where the multiple modes from Normal up to H5/Lunatic'/Lunatic+ and casual mode in NM and Awakening gives the game the widest range of difficulties.

The key isn't difficulty, but difficulty options. The more, the better. Ideally I'd like to see something along these lines:

Easy ; roughly as challenging as Awakening Normal

Normal

Hard

Hard+ ; unlockable, works the same as Awakening Luna+ but with more reasonable enemy stats

Lunatic

Lunatic Reverse

Even more ideally I'd like to see a return of rankings, since a well-executed ranking system addresses the ways to trivialize most FEs (turtling / lowmanning / grinding), but it seems IS gave up on the idea after FE12 in favor of a world map.

edit: a compromise would be having postgame maps with their own individual rankings, FE8/9 employed something similar

Edited by feplus

FE13 and FE12 Lunatic are the perfect difficulties as they demand a high level of knowledge from the player.

The FEDS games had a bazillion difficulty modes. More like that would be welcome.