I've had it with my asshole brother.

Anacybele

Alright, recently I've told a few people or so that I haven't been in the best mood lately. Well, the title explains why.

My brother is an asshole. He's also a disgusting pig. And my mom and stepfather won't do a damn thing about him. This is the problem with being the older sibling, they always favor the younger one when he comes around. It's never about me anymore, it's all about him. I had to do a lot of chores growing up, I was disciplined with a belt or wooden spoon when I misbehaved. But my brother doesn't get any of this treatment. Yeah. there is a SMALL chore list that's comprised of just dishwasher, garbage, and feeding the dogs in the evening (my parents are working and going to school at the same time), but I had to do a lot more than that when I was a kid. I also did my own laundry, my brother doesn't even have to do that.

My parents have fucking spoiled this kid, it's ridiculous. They let him eat a lot of everything (soda gets drank in like a day and a half, for example, and I'm lucky if I even get one glass of it), which is unhealthy, they let him blast his computer volume in his room, they let him trash our bathroom upstairs, they let him burp really loud, etc. Yeah, they tell him to stop these bad habits and such, but he doesn't listen. And they don't give a shit. They've bought him expensive stuff over and over too, despite that he also can't take care of things to save his life. His shit seems to always break.

I've tried to complain to my parents that I'm tired of this bullshit, but all they do is tell me to leave him alone or stop picking on him. I'm honestly trying to look OUT for him when I mention these things. I'm trying to get him to change for his own good and for the better. My brother used to be fun (though he was always messy). I used to play my Nintendo games with him. He was even the reason I got into Ike (my brother played as him in Brawl, I noticed how cool he was, so I picked him up too, and that led me to look up PoR, and the rest is history)! Now he's turned into this angry asshole pig. He swears a lot in his room when my parents aren't around and as I said above, he burps loudly.

I ask him to stop because it annoys me, and he just goes "aw, isn't that sad" or something like that in a sarcastic ass voice and keeps doing whatever he was doing. When he asks me to stop something that annoys him, I listen. Well, except when I sing, because him asking me to stop singing because he thinks it's annoying is an insult to me. But other than that, I listen.

And recently, he's started telling me "Fuck you!" whenever I correct him about the chores list or something and he asks me to "do him a favor." He doesn't do me any favors. He's a lazy asshole. I'm quite amazed that he has a girlfriend. She deserves way better and simply must not know what he's really like. No female in her right mind would really love this piece of shit if she knew him well. Which brings me to something else: he makes kissy noises with her like every five seconds which annoys the fuck out of me. His room is right across the hall from mine and I can hear it clearly even through two closed doors. So yeah, I've had it. Fuck him.

I don't know where else to go, since I trust a lot of people on this forum. I can't move out yet even though I really want to (I don't make enough money and higher paying jobs are pretty hard to come by these days), so I have to find some other way to deal with this. I just need some advice.

Edited by Anacybele

Out of curiosity how old is your brother? Sounds like he's entering into his early to mid teens.

Have you tried sitting down with your brother and folks in the same room and talking about all of this? Explaining that you're upset because you care about him and have noticed him changing for the worse?

Yeah, you got it. He's 15, turning 16 in the middle of March. But even my stepbrothers weren't this bad when they were teens. I had more fun with them. They taught me sports, got me into video games, why couldn't my half-brother be that cool? My stepbrothers did get in trouble with the law a couple times, but that was later, and one of them is living a good life now and changed back to his cool self (although he swears too much sometimes too, imo, he doesn't do it to insult anyone). The other is out of the picture completely because he didn't straighten out, but yeah.

And that would work, but I don't think my brother or my parents will do that. My parents are very busy these days anyway. They work, come home for a few minutes, then go straight to school, except on Fridays and weekends. And my mom works a part time job one weekend a month.

My parents would probably just think I'm picking on him again.

I'll just say this, Ana. The way you raise your points and express yourself in the OP doesn't want to make me side with you.

Then don't. I'll get advice from someone else.

Edited by Anacybele

/patpat

Sounds like this household is full of mollycoddling. It is a good question, how old is your brother? It seems your parents really need to crack down on him in terms of responsibilities. However, the best option for you is to try to not let his behavior get in the way of your own life. You have a job, school (i am assuming), and other things to be concerned with. Be the adult in the situation. Keep a positive attitude and dont let him drag you down. If he disrespects you directly, and this keeps happening over and over again, definitely sit down with your folks and discuss it. But do so in an adult manner. I would call a family meeting.

He's 15, turning 16 in the middle of March.

oh...rip. /patpat

Your brother reminds me of my friend's little brother they expect her to do all the chores while she also has work and he gets to sit on his ass and play games all day he crashed his car and they bought him a brand new one. The younger sibling usually get's spoiled though. I'm the youngest in my family not counting my step-sisters and I was spoiled not much because of we were poor but I got away with more then my brother did.

Hey as long as its one Friday or one Saturday to have an earnest sit down heart to heart talk about all of this it might help solve alot of problems. It sounds like to me your folks are busy with alot of stuff going on and since you seem pretty squared away they don't worry too much about you but this has also taken alot of attention away from your brother kinda leading to this situation.

Then don't. I'll get advice from someone else.

sorry, you're not going to get advice from anyone with an attitude like that.

you're already on really thin ice and i'm about 95% positive that this thread is going to spiral really fast. if you want to pm me a good, well-reasoned argument for how you'll keep your cool in this thread, i'll reopen it but you'll be staking a pretty long suspension on it, so think pretty hard.

EDIT: hell if you'd rather a mano-a-mano conversation about it please feel free to add me on skype as monsterike and we can talk this through.

Edited by Integrity