Sothe should have promoted to Assassin

I mean I can barely tolerate his character, so I'm not totally upset by the fact that he's a bad unit come Part 4, but looking it without bias, I think this game could have been improved on if Sothe had potential to reach Volke's level of strength and ridiculous crit rate. It also feels totally wrong to have to waste an SS weapon like the Baselard.

I also found it kind of funny that Sothe's promotion to Whisper is initiated by Yune, while Heather can do the same thing without needing any goddess.

Or maybe IS was just really biased towards Volke and wanted to make him look good.

I mean I can barely tolerate his character, so I'm not totally upset by the fact that he's a bad unit come Part 4, but looking it without bias, I think this game could have been improved on if Sothe had potential to reach Volke's level of strength and ridiculous crit rate. It also feels totally wrong to have to waste an SS weapon like the Baselard.

I also found it kind of funny that Sothe's promotion to Whisper is initiated by Yune, while Heather can do the same thing without needing any goddess.

Or maybe IS was just really biased towards Volke and wanted to make him look good.

Sothe should have promoted to SOMETHING in FE9 is the more pressing thing.

Agreed on both points...

He's decent enough in part 3, not as good as in part 1, but man, in part 4, he sucks. I think he actually did more damage before promotion in parts 3/4.

At least in hard mode a cat and a tiger will kill him. If you give him too strong weapons, he can easily do suicide.

Edited by The Taninator

All Assassin would've done is improve his caps and mastery, but it wouldn't have done anything about the poor timing of his promotion. Even if the promo bonuses had been a little better I don't think it would've dug Sothe out of the hole he's in.

I mean you say that like improving Sothe's caps and giving him Lethality over Bane is a small improvement. He's still usable in Part 3, even if he's way behind a trained Jill/Edward/Zihark, so he'd only need the promotion for Part 4. So ideally it would have happened at the same time as Ike's, if not slightly earlier.

All Assassin would've done is improve his caps and mastery, but it wouldn't have done anything about the poor timing of his promotion. Even if the promo bonuses had been a little better I don't think it would've dug Sothe out of the hole he's in.

In the mod I am working on I changed Sothe to promote into an Assasin, it makes quite a lot of difference to be honest.

It would also give him Critical +25.

Please tell me how Sothe having slightly higher caps makes a big difference for 4-3 or endgame.

I can imagine +4 Str and +25 crit doing a lot for Sothe for most players.

it would satisfy the more casual players, but sothe has the trifecta of atk, spd, and durability problems regardless of what he promotes to. rogue is simply not a good class past part 1.

I'm not saying otherwise. It would satisfy the more casual players, and he's already good enough in an efficient context, so that's a win-win situation.

• 4 weeks later...