46 members have voted

1. 1. System

• Genealogy
    • Thracia
    • BB/RnK
    • PoR/RD
    • Awakening
    • M/NM/SD/SS

So there are a bunch of convoy systems that basically split into a couple of different genres.

Genealogy- You gear up and what you bring into battle is what you get. A character can only remove items that they have put into it in the first place. Accessed by castles.

Thracia- Same thing but now any character can get anything. and the convoys are accessed in shop-like places.

Binding Blade/Rekka no Ken- Accessed through Merlinus, units adjacent to him can use the supply command to freely switch items. Merlons can store up to 100 items. As long as he's on the map, you can send extra items to him.

Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn- Managed by the Merchant Convoy that can accessed at your base, can only be accessed between chapters. Items can still be sent to it during a chapter. Limit is 200. Radiant Dawn has 3 separate convoys for Micaiah, Ike, and Elincia. They're combined near the end to have a limit of 300 items, while each one by itself has the limit of 100 items.

Mystery/New Mystery/Shadow Dragon/Sacred Stones- Eirika, Ephraim, or Marth must be present for the convoy access but there is an item limit placed.

Awakening- Chrom's bottomless pockets allow you to carry all the items you want whilst only having to have an ally adjacent to him to access it.

919e40b981800be026a2b3d3099afffb.jpg

I liked Awakening's cause I'm a greedy personGreed is good but I wanna know what you guys think.

If I got anything wrong or forgot something, feel free to tell me.

Edited by DualMix

Infinite convoy + tied to Lord is very simple and effective. I don't like finite values of storage (no matter how unrealistic), but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it was limited by 200 or w.e default values it happens to be.

I'd like another Merlinus character, personally, (so long as he doesn't take up a unit slot like he did in Binding Blade) and give them infinite storage, because hoarding is wonderful.

Chroms botomless pockets are very nice.

I guess they are since it's gotten the majority vote so far. I do like his pockets as well... must be very cozy.

Then again, Merlinus was an okay guy.

Bring back Merlinus! ....And his supports! I really liked the concept of having characters in battles not just for fighting/healing. It feels more complex without feeling more difficult (since it doesn't matter if he dies (unless you really need him for that level))

I don't feel like mid-battle convoy access is very important, but if we were to have it, I prefer the Lord's bottomless pockets, though a moving convoy that doesn't use a deployment slot like in FE7 would be fine, too.

To tell the truth, I rarely find myself needing to resupply mid-chapter, since I usually prepare characters with the necessary items at the prep screen, and few chapters can wear out any weapons that are either replaceable or durable. Convoy space running out always seemed really pointless and frustrating, personally. I think mid-chapter convoy access will continue to be largely as relevant as it usually is, namely, only used in case of emergency, unless FE14 has a great level of divergence from Awakening-style maps.

I do like the idea of a convoy unit, at least conceptually, although, in anything barring a defense chapter, a character like tent!Merlinus is, if anything, a handicap. Convoy units taking up a party space a la FE6 is just dumb, also.

I have to say, I just don't really care very much about the convoy beyond having one.

I didn't mind Merlinus, but I prefer having the convoy on the Lord simply because the Lord being more mobile and not as frail as Merlinus makes distributing items easier, and Chrom's bottomless pants should keep existing imo.

All I know is FE5 is literally the worse.

"Let's only give them convoy access on the prep screen and basically every 5 chapters, so that the game is one big inventory management puzzle"

FE1 didn't give convoy access on the prep screen. FE6 didn't give convoy access every chapter unless you deployed a useless character. Could be worse, especially since FE5 let people carry a generous amount of items.

I didn't mind Merlinus, but I prefer having the convoy on the Lord simply because the Lord being more mobile and not as frail as Merlinus makes distributing items easier, and Chrom's bottomless pants should keep existing imo.

How is he frail? At least later on. By the time he leveled up a bit he's virtually unhittable, even in hard mode. But what did suck was that the game went out if its way to include a 3-4 long wave of reinforcements which were positioned to reach Merlinus in 1-2 turns. Especially when he's just a tent, that means you must backtrack to protect him or know in advance and leave guards there until he survived a couple of chapters and leveled up.

But yea emergency only, anyone who prepared their units before venturing out should never really need the convoy.

I was addressing FE6!Merlinus, I haven't played 7 yet. although since he's a tent, I recall that he doesn't move? some item distributions (convoy drops and on-map recruited units) are pretty handy so Chrom > Merlinus anyway.

Merlinus promotes in FE7 so he eventually can move.

Convoy Lord allows for a lot more potential shenanigans when it comes to strategy, and having non combat units that can't permadie adds a very weird flavour to the game. I mean inherantly one wants to protect Merlinus but once you realise he always comes back his ability to work as a distraction is pretty useful, but I feel that it's contrary to Fire Emblem. It's amusing and helpful that you can suicide Merlinus to secure a 5 turn in Chapter 3 of FE6 but it sticks out as just being bizzare. But simuteanously, if he actually couldn't come back you'd lose the ability to use the convoy mid map, which would be quite restrictive. It's easier just to tie it to an essential unit like the Lord.

Edited by Irysa

FE1 didn't give convoy access on the prep screen. FE6 didn't give convoy access every chapter unless you deployed a useless character. Could be worse, especially since FE5 let people carry a generous amount of items.

They didn't have weapons break but still exist in your inventory

Since it's a convey, I wonder why Merlinus is still at first... I always figured a sort of Caravan with Item stored, so it should be mobile, but not a lord... A caravan, so to say.

Am Ithe only one who find Chrom's bottomless pocket annoying ?XD Imo FE is a game in where you're in war... Soif you have to manage your army, you have to manage your items, so it put more limits to the game. Moreover, people keep on saying that FE13 was too easy because it's too easy to grind or whatever... Well, I'd find it logical that if you must limit grinding in battles, you must limit the number of weapons you have... But again, it's my opinion, and I don't really mind Chrom's pockets anyway. (I just imagined Robin or Sumia sneaking in Chrom's pockets... Does that make a Chromgouroo ? O.o)

Anyway, I like FE1/8 system