Your Ideal Character Choices/Roster for a Mario Spinoff Game

Randoman

Since baby/metal/alternate form characters seem to be quite a common complaint in Mario spinoff games, I was quite curious as to what people would consider to be an ideal or good Mario spinoff roster. Keep in mind, when I say Mario spinoff roster, I mean a roster for a Mario Kart/Party/Tennis/Golf game (well, add Bowser anyways despite the Mario Party roster part, though technically he is playable in 10 now), and not a roster consisting mainly of spinoff Mario characters like Geno or Count Bleck from the non-mainstream Mario games. I'm hoping the rosters you guys put will have at least 12-16 characters, but you're free to go up to 24, or even higher if you can think of that many good additions (though maybe list them from most prioritized first to least prioritized last since I'm curious as to who you'd cut first if you had a limit to how many characters could be put in).

My list would probably go something like this:

Mario

Luigi

Yoshi

Bowser

Peach

Toad

Rosalina

Donkey Kong

Wario

Daisy

Waluigi

Toadette

Kamek

King Boo

Birdo

Professor E. Gadd

Wart

I might add more after reading some of your guys' ideas.

I like your list, Rando, though I'd still add the babies and the Koopalings. I actually like them. :P

Not fond of the clones like Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach though, especially since Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario as well as Dry Bowser are a thing in Mario Kart now while Luigi is left cloneless. Nintendo is always shafting the poor guy, and it's like the Year of Luigi was only to get us Luigi fans to shut up.

Yoshi

Daisy

-other people-

As long as Yoshi and Daisy are in the roster I don't really care who else is it. Although I find Baby Daisy to be pretty great on account of how adorable she is.

Rosalina

Baby Rosalina

Wario

Baby Wario

Daisy

Baby Daisy

Waluigi

Birdo

Bowser Junior

Professor E. Gadd

Pauline

[spoiler=Mario]Mario

Baby Mario

Paper Mario

Doctor Mario

Small Mario

Fire Mario

Ice Mario

Penguin Mario

Propeller Mario

Cat Mario

Tanooki Mario

Cape Mario

Frog Mario

Boomerang Mario

Racoon Mario

Hammer Mario

Squirrel Mario

[spoiler=Luigi]Luigi

Baby Luigi

Paper Luigi

Doctor Luigi

Small Luigi

Fire Luigi

Ice Luigi

Boomerang Luigi

Cat Luigi

Penguin Luigi

Tanooki Luigi

Hammer Luigi

Frog Luigi

Racoon Luigi

Cape Luigi

Propeller Luigi

Squirrel Luigi

[spoiler=Yoshi]Yoshi

Red Yoshi

Blue Yoshi

Green Yoshi

Yellow Yoshi

Black Yoshi

White Yoshi

Pink Yoshi

Purple Yoshi

[spoiler=Bowser]Bowser

Baby Bowser

Dry Bowser

Cat Bowser

Tanooki Bowser

[spoiler=Peach]Peach

Baby Peach

Fire Peach

Small Peach

Boomerang Peach

Racoon Peach

Cat Peach

[spoiler=Donkey Kong]Donkey Kong

Baby Donkey Kong

Diddy Kong

Dixie Kong

Cranky Kong

Wrinkly Kong

Tiny Kong

Funky Kong

Candy Kong

[spoiler=Bosses]King Boo

Wart

King Goomba

Princess Shroob

Elder Princess Shroob

Captain Syrup

Petey Piranha

Lord Crump

Shadow Mario

[spoiler=Toads]Red Toad

Blue Toad

Yellow Toad

Green Toad

Purple Toad

Toadette

Captain Toad

Toadbert

Toadiko

Toadsworth

[spoiler=Enemies]Kamek

Goomba

Green Koopa

Red Koopa

Green Paratroopa

Red Paratroopa

Blue Koopa

Blue Paratroopa

Yellow Koopa

Yellow Paratroopa

Lakitu

Boo

Shroob

X-Naut

Red Shy Guy

Blue Shy Guy

Yellow Shy Guy

Green Shy Guy

Purple Shy Guy

[spoiler=Koopalings]Larry Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

Roy Koopa

Iggy Koopa

Wendy Orlean Koopa

Ludwig Von Koopa

Morton Koopa Junior

[spoiler=Koopa Kids]Koopa Kid

Blue Koopa Kid

Red Koopa Kid

Green Koopa Kid

[spoiler=WarioWare]Mona

Ashley

Doctor Crygor

Dribble

9-Volt

18-Volt

Jimmy T.

Kat

Ana

Mike

Orbulon

Penny Crygor

I may have missed a couple key characters.

Edited by Rabbattack

Three out of six people okay with/wanting baby characters so far. Weird...

Also, I'm just throwing it out there that I'm a big fan of the koopa kids, though seeing how they're kind of a packaged deal and they'd take up 1/3rd or 1/4th of a Mario spinoff roster (which quite a few people would find unfair), I'm kind of hesitant to include them for my personal spinoff roster, Though I'll admit, I really enjoy playing as Iggy and Larry in the games they are playable in.

Edited by Randoman

I'm okay with Baby characters to a point. I have no problems at all with Baby Mario, Baby Luigi or Baby Peach as they actually are characters outside of spinoffs. I'd also be okay with Baby DK and Baby Wario as they're also characters. My beef is with the babies that are such obvious padding though, like Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina.

Best spinoff cast was Mario Kart Wii's no unnecessary padding like 8

See random babies and ALL 8 FREAKING KOOPALINGS. Not to mention Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach.. And Tanooki Mario...

Edited by Jedi

I'm okay with Baby characters to a point. I have no problems at all with Baby Mario, Baby Luigi or Baby Peach as they actually are characters outside of spinoffs. I'd also be okay with Baby DK and Baby Wario as they're also characters. My beef is with the babies that are such obvious padding though, like Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina.

I kind of thought you'd like Baby Rosalina, due to being a huge Rosalina fan.
Anyways, for me personally, I don't like any doubles of characters in any game roster, whether it's a canonical baby/younger form, or a metal/animal transformation. Something about a character getting 2 versions of themself in a roster feels really unfair and wrong to me.

Best spinoff cast was Mario Kart Wii's no unnecessary padding like 8

See random babies and ALL 8 FREAKING KOOPALINGS. Not to mention Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach.. And Tanooki Mario...

I definitely agree with you on the Metal and Animal Transformation alternate characters.
Though the koopalings you can't really call padding. I mean, I understand people not liking them, thinking there's more worthy additions to the roster, or having all 7 of them take up 1/3rd or 1/4th of the roster being riduculous/unfair. Though they definitely take more development time and resources than the babies or skeletal versions of characters like Dry Bones and Dry Bowser. I mean, even among koopaling pairs that take very little effort to differentiate (such as Ludwig and Roy), they still take more effort to make different model wise than say, Baby Peach and Baby Daisy, Mario and Metal Mario, or Toad and Toadette (well, maybe around the same amount for the Toads. For the record, I'm perfectly okay with Toadette). The fact that the 7 koopalings each have distinct names, identities, and styles (like Morton's tough and buff personality or Ludwig's cocky but classy demeanor) make them plenty different in my eyes, though I can understand people thinking some duos like Lemmy and Larry and Roy and Morton are too similar/clonish.
To sum it up, I'd say the koopalings are generally different enough from each other and take a lot of time to model and program to not warrant being called padding. I understand them not being an ideal group of characters to invest resources into making playable (due ot the 7 of them being a combined package) or how there's probably better choices for playable characters who aren't combined packages, but I wouldn't call them padding.
Edited by Randoman

Still waiting for Mushroom Kingdom Warriors

I sort of have a preference towards the baddies when it comes to Mario, but bear with me.

Peach

Lakitu

Bowser Jr.

Diddy Kong (or DK Jr., in case Nintendo feels like giving me back my original Mario Kart main)

Boom Boom (maybe Pom Pom?)

Magikoopa

Waluigi

DK

King Boo

Monty Mole

Mechakoopa

I feel Mario and Luigi should be up there out of tradition, so I'll just drop them here,

That metal gold baby pink cat dr Mario junk should seriously stop. Not sure why I could use spin off characters like Waluigi, but not spin off characters like Geno (ignoring copyrights here). I've put borderline chars between brackets

24? Hm.

1. Mario

2. Luigi

3. Donkey Kong

4. Pauline

5. Peach

6. Toad

7. Bowser

8. Birdo

9. Mouser

10. Tatanga

11. Daisy

12. Boom Boom

13. Wario

14. Yoshi

15. Wanda (Mario & Wario)

16. Waluigi

17. Toadette

18. Prince Peasly (Superstar Saga)

19. Geno (RPG)

20. Mallow (RPG)

21. Rosalina

22. Diddy Kong (DKC)

23. Dixie Kong (DKC)

24. Stanley the Bugman (DK3)

I'm perfectly okay with different forms/baby characters as long as it's not going too far.Like Baby Rosalina,for example.

1.Mario

2.Luigi

3.Peach

4.Bowser (Possibly with Meowser and Dark Bowser costumes or something like that)

5.Donkey Kong

6.Diddy Kong

7.Baby Mario

8.Baby Luigi

9.Bowser Jr.

10.Kamek (or a Magikoopa)

11.Koopa Kid

12.Rosalina