What do you want from this games story?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, being biased in a debate isn't a bad thing. Actually, you're kind of fucked if you're not biased.

Huh, really? To me, people seemed to make out bias as a bad thing and something you should never have. My mistake then. :P

Huh, really? To me, people seemed to make out bias as a bad thing and something you should never have. My mistake then. :P

Yeah,bias is just, in an oversimplified definition, favoring one side, so it makes sense to be biased in a debate, lol.

Anyway, yes, I'd like a plot that legitimately surprises me. I read and game so much, the everything seems predictable to me now.

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

Yeah,bias is just, in an oversimplified definition, favoring one side, so it makes sense to be biased in a debate, lol.

Anyway, yes, I'd like a plot that legitimately surprises me. I read and game so much, the everything seems predictable to me now.

As in a really good plot twist, or the plot in General going in a direction you didn't expect?

Coherence is really my only wish at this point, I don't have any larger expectations regarding the plot. Characterization and world-building take precedence in my books, tbh.

Speaking of character names, I kind of liked what they with some bosses did in FE1. Perhaps they're more memorable only because of pure shock value, but it's always fun to find guys like Himmler, Zhukov and Moses just chilling around. Obviously they wouldn't get through the localizers unchanged if something similar was attempted with FE14, but oh well.

Coherence is really my only wish at this point, I don't have any larger expectations regarding the plot. Characterization and world-building take precedence in my books, tbh.

Speaking of character names, I kind of liked what they with some bosses did in FE1. Perhaps they're more memorable only because of pure shock value, but it's always fun to find guys like Himmler, Zhukov and Moses just chilling around. Obviously they wouldn't get through the localizers unchanged if something similar was attempted with FE14, but oh well.

Wait, there was a character named after Adolf Hitler's second in command, and one named after the most badass general ever to grace Russia's military? Man, Marth is lucky he wasn't facing the real Zhukov, or else he'd be screwed.

Wait, there was a character named after Adolf Hitler's second in command, and one named after the most badass general ever to grace Russia's military? Man, Marth is lucky he wasn't facing the real Zhukov, or else he'd be screwed.

Well I think those names are just fan translation ones. Himmler is Heimler and Zhukov is Zharov. Although... it would be pretty cool to see characters named after real life generals and stuff like that.

And no, I am not biased. Anyone can plainly see that Ike is a unique FE rep for Smash.

Hector would have been more unique because he would not be a sword-user like every other FE representatives in Smash Bros. This got off topic

Edited by The Dark Armorknight

Well I think those names are just fan translation ones. Himmler is Heimler and Zhukov is Zharov. Although... it would be pretty cool to see characters named after real life generals and stuff like that.

Their katakana readings are more akin to Himmler/Zhukov than Heimmler/Zharov. The localizers of Shadow Dragon just went with the latter names, for rather obvious reasons.

If I have a single wish it's for better integration of narrative and gameplay.

What we have now works but I'd quite like to be able to have battles actually have more narrative that occurs in the thick of it. Examples include an enemy commander going "DAMMIT WE'RE LOSING" and walking off his hillside viewpoint into the middle of his troops and starts spamming Rally Spectrum (or something to that effect) on his remaining forces. Or having a map where you don't just deploy in a cluster near the start, your deployments are spread out to different zones in valleys and such, and one of the main characters is deployed at each (as leaders). You'll be fighting down enemies on different parts of the map, and then enemy fliers ambush one group at a certain point and capture a leader so you have to send some of your forces to get them back within a few turns or that unit is taken prisoner and you can't get a chance to get them back until later (ala FE5 or something).

Edited by Irysa

If I have a single wish it's for better integration of narrative and gameplay.

What we have now works but I'd quite like to be able to have battles actually have more narrative that occurs in the thick of it. Examples include an enemy commander going "DAMMIT WE'RE LOSING" and walking off his hillside viewpoint into the middle of his troops and starts spamming Rally Spectrum (or something to that effect) on his remaining forces. Or having a map where you don't just deploy in a cluster near the start, your deployments are spread out to different zones in valleys and such, and one of the main characters is deployed at each (as leaders). You'll be fighting down enemies on different parts of the map, and then enemy fliers ambush one group at a certain point and capture a leader so you have to send some of your forces to get them back within a few turns or that unit is taken prisoner and you can't get a chance to get them back until later (ala FE5 or something).

Some of the chapters I find most memorable through the series are like this, where a bunch of stuff is happening almost every turn. RD has a few chapters like this, 3-E stands out the most to me. Another I remember is the chapter where Miledy joins you in FE6. I would totally love if they took this farther and made it affect the player's strategy more.

Hector would have been more unique because he would not be a sword-user like every other FE representatives in Smash Bros. This got off topic

I think axes would pretty much be the same as swords except visually. At least for Ike's animations.

Edited by Radiant head

Their katakana readings are more akin to Himmler/Zhukov than Heimmler/Zharov. The localizers of Shadow Dragon just went with the latter names, for rather obvious reasons.

But Zhukov was awesome :(. He saved Russia from the Nazis and would rip any FE protagonist ever a new one in his T-34!

But Zhukov was awesome :(. He saved Russia from the Nazis and would rip any FE protagonist ever a new one in his T-34!

Guns in Fire Emblem? That would be hilarious, just for the reactions of the characters. Fire Emblem, Gun Edition.

Although that'd be reeeeaally weird.

Guns in Fire Emblem? That would be hilarious, just for the reactions of the characters. Fire Emblem, Gun Edition.

Although that'd be reeeeaally weird.

Bah! The fools of Jugdral, Tellius, Archanea, Valm, and Elibe will fall before the might of the Blitzkrieg! Actually, you know what? That's what I want from the game's story. FE characters vs the Nazis!

I wonder if someone will eventually decide that the fire emblem is more trouble than it is worth and attempt to destroy it. Kinda like KoTOR II's plot.

Now that you mention it, why do we even need a fire emblem?

We don't "need" one but the series title is pretty abstract without it, no? I hope the Fire Emblem in FE14 (if there is one) is not just tacked on like Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones. The dancer girl might be holding it....whatever it is.

you don't necessarily need one. the Jugdral games don't really have one; the only thing that maybe qualifies is not particularly plot important in the way the others typically are.

I don't recall gaiden having one either.

We don't "need" one but the series title is pretty abstract without it, no? I hope the Fire Emblem in FE14 (if there is one) is not just tacked on like Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones. The dancer girl might be holding it....whatever it is.

Incidentally, the Zelda game with potentially the most well-regarded story (Majora's Mask) doesn't feature Zelda at all.

Fire Emblem could probably do well from occasionally lifting its own restriction in a similar fashion.

Incidentally, the Zelda game with potentially the most well-regarded story (Majora's Mask) doesn't feature Zelda at all.

She's featured in a flashback scene after you get the Ocarina back.

Fire Emblem could probably do well from occasionally lifting its own restriction in a similar fashion.

Even for the games with Zelda as a significant character are more about Link. The series should have been called 'The Legend of Hyrule' and Majora's Mask would be "The Legend of Hyrule: This time not in Hyrule: Majora's Mask" :P