PSA: The 3DS internet browser region free exploit has been patched

The latest update for the 3DS breaks the regionfree exploit.

The web browser doesn't force an auto update so you're good if you don't update your 3DS.

Just letting people know so they don't get the jp game when the exploit no longer works lol

(This also apparently fixes the browser exploits with ORAS QR codes and Pokemon Shuffle, but I am unfamiliar with those)

Edited by L95

I'm pretty sure the main reason this was patched was because apparently the same exploit can be used to play ANY GBC game if you already have a virtual console game (it basically switches the ROM you're playing with a different one).

It was probably fixed because it opened up a lot of exploits, as I am learning haha.

Not all of which are as fun as GBC injection. Like, the QR code one could apparently be used to brick consoles, or so I've heard.

i'm going to miss playing red version on this thing...

Not only did the exploit enable region free... the browser was a serious security vulnerability.

That's how Gateway is able to launch and run pirated ROMs if the user so chooses.

I only use Gateway to backup my copies (which are eventually gonna be hacked and repacked) and run the save decryption apps.

Honestly, I'm wondering (reading up on it too) on ripping my Persona Q copy to use with the UNDUB patch on GBATemp.

Edited by shadowofchaos