Possible sub-weapon category.

Lodestar77

First of all, I just recently joined Serenes Forest, and this is my first post. I have only played the three GBA fire emblems, Shadow Dragon, and Awakening. Just keep that in mind, please.

The reason I created this topic is because I think this game will have more weapons than the sword, lance, axe, bow, tome and staff. The sub-category of this weapons (I am guessing but I will provide evidence to my reasoning) are as follows:

Sword- Knife

Lance- Naginata

Axe- Mace

Bow- Crossbow

Tome (Anima)- Ice

Some of these are wishful thinking, and others are already proven to exist like the mace and Ice magic. The reason I think the knife will be here is because of the possible ninja class. I don't think those are assassins since it is early in the game. The only question I guess I really have when knifes were in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were they under sword or a new weapon? The crossbows are there just because I want them. (There is nothing to say it will exist.) I also think Ice magic was in older games it was just a sub-weapon type of wind.

My ultimate point is how will these weapons, if they are not classified as new weapons, be implemented. What I want, is to have knives (as an example) be under a sword category, but you have to have a knife skill. For example, the possibly new ninja class will automatically come with a "knife skill) which means that they can use any Sword of their weapon rank but if a unit has the skill they can also use the knives. This would affect reclassing as well, if it is implemented. A mercenary could use knives if he/she reclassed into a ninja class, got the skill, then changed back. Same for Maces as well.

How would you want these new weapons to be implemented?

Knives/Daggers were their own category of weapon in the Tellius games, and Radiant Dawn had Crossbows under regular Bows. I don't personally see any reason for these weapons to exist, and that's that, really. Variety is cool, but wouldn't daggers just be even weaker swords, like they essentially were in Tellius? If so, what's the point? And Crossbows were always meh to me, so... meh.

As for Naginatas/whatever the hell that mace thing was/etc etc, I really would dislike it if, for example, an Iron Naginata had different stats than an Iron Lance. If these changes are to be implemented, then aesthetically should be the only way how. Otherwise, you cause an imbalance between the two warring sides, therefore skewing the (hopefully included) decision to fight for whomever in another's favor, which just isn't fair.

I think knives could carve (forgive the pun) out a unique niche if they were low might but had some degree of armor piercing. It would make them more effective than swords against heavily armored targets but weaker against targets with low armor.

Crossbows were implemented before but they had static damage making them lackluster. They could change it to make their damage based on Skill instead of Strength. Or they could make them do static damage but have armor piercing.

I think Katanas and Naginata will just be variations of swords and lances, just like blades and great-lances were.

I can't make a solid statement on maces or ice magic as that's all speculative at this point. If Hammers are axes, maces can be too. Ice looks like a variation of anima to me.

Edited by NekoKnight

Hmm. Yeah, I can see why people wouldn't want the knives to be included. But, I thought the knives/daggers could have 1-2 range.

Let me check...

Okay, so knives and daggers are separate. They are still part of the same class, however, daggers cannot be thrown unlike knives, but are stronger.

Personally, daggers wouldn't be needed since they don't have range. But, If all of the knives could attack 1-2 range and had maybe a few special weapons, I would love to have them back. Grinding with sword units took a lot longer. For other units, I would have them equip a weak 1-2 range weapon and press skip all battles. So, that is why I would want them back.

My real question, and the reason I made this topic was to ask about maces, since it is pretty much confirmed, how would you want them to be implemented? Either a sub-category of axes (like I said about the knives) or a separate weapon class entirely?

Edited by Lodestar77

My real question, and the reason I made this topic was to ask about maces, since it is pretty much confirmed, how would you want them to be implemented? Either a sub-category of axes (like I said about the knives) or a separate weapon class entirely?

The game is complex enough with just 4 weapon types (discounting magic). Maces/clubs should just be a sub-category of axes.

Am I the only one who thought that that thing that looked like a mace might have been a new sort of staff? Like maybe it can heal but it also could deal damage? Just a thought I had.

Knives/Daggers were their own category of weapon in the Tellius games, and Radiant Dawn had Crossbows under regular Bows. I don't personally see any reason for these weapons to exist, and that's that, really. Variety is cool, but wouldn't daggers just be even weaker swords, like they essentially were in Tellius? If so, what's the point? And Crossbows were always meh to me, so... meh.

I kinda agree with the meh crossbows, but only for the first 3 chapters and ~ half of chapter 4. (where i'm busy getting everyone to surround my enemies and take turns shanking them with iron weapons)

Crossbows are designed to be exploited with -bane skills because of their signature damage formula (damage multiplied before subtracted from defense).

In other words, Slap on the right bane skills, and a crossbow user is incredibly dangerous to anything that isn't human (which is kind of counter intuitive since i consider humans to be the flimsiest of all races... Meh, Fire emblem logic http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=042913)

Edited by Masadeer

Am I the only one who thought that that thing that looked like a mace might have been a new sort of staff? Like maybe it can heal but it also could deal damage? Just a thought I had.

Well when someone translated Rinka's weapon (she is the orange character that is seen on the bridge map) She was holding a "bronze mace" So idk

I love me some Crossbows, but I think they should actually be useful this time around.

Being effective against armored/flying units, relying on the user's strength (although I see that it wouldn't make too much sense)..

I liked Crossbows in Tear Ring Saga. Mechanically, they were normal bows but they used different animations.

The common crossbow was more accurate and powerful then normal bows in exchange for significantly heavier weight. Given that the game had it's fair share of dodgy enemies, especially Harpies, those were quite helpful.

Edited by BrightBow