Getting HD without an HDMI port

Florete

So I have a TV, and it's an HDTV (It says "HDTV Monitor" on the front), but it has no HDMI port. Does anyone know of any kind of converter that will allow me to get HD from a console (specifically my Wii U) on this TV?

I have the Wii component cables, but I don't get HD with those. I've been searching through Google and Amazon for something, but everything I've seen I can't be sure will work.

Could you give an Amazon/whatever online retail link to the TV/monitor you're using? Could help with solving the problem. What other ports does this monitor have?

Either way, without a HDMI port, the TV won't be able to dish out the 1080p quality that a HDMI port offers (as far as I'm aware, anyway). You can purchase something called a HDMI to AV converter, but obviously that won't give you 1080p quality. There are a few different types of "HD", which your TV's name could be referring to any of them. If there's no HDMI port, it's usually talking about 720p or 1080i (image will be upscaled but a bit blurry), but not that sharp 1080p that a HDMI cable and port offers you.

A Wii U has AV ports anyway so you don't need a converter in the first place. And running the HDMI cable into a converter and an AV cable from the converter to the TV will do the exact same thing as a direct AV link between the Wii U and the TV.

Some monitors come with a DVI port that is also capable of giving 1080p quality, but I doubt your TV/monitor would have such a thing because DVI does not give sound output. And a TV without sound is a useless TV.

If a real tech nerd could correct me/back me up on this, that'd be neat.

tl;dr - If I'm correct... No HDMI port = No 1080p for your Wii U on that particular TV/monitor, sadly.

Edited by Raven

So I have a TV, and it's an HDTV (It says "HDTV Monitor" on the front), but it has no HDMI port. Does anyone know of any kind of converter that will allow me to get HD from a console (specifically my Wii U) on this TV?

What brand/model of TV is it? Edited by Lord Raven

Could you give an Amazon/whatever online retail link to the TV/monitor you're using? Could help with solving the problem. What other ports does this monitor have?

It has a DVI port and...whatever the one on the left is called.

That's odd the componet cables for the Wii (which work with the Wii U) should work up to 1080i resolution. Sometimes its easy to mix up the red and orange cables in the TV so you could try checking those.

It does give 1080i, but not HD.

What brand/model of TV is it?

Hitachi.

It does give 1080i, but not HD.

There's various formats of HD, but generally accepted as 720p or more.

Do you mean the picture isn't as clear?

Did you set it in the Wii U settings menu?

Try setting it to 720p first and then work your way up.

Edited by shadowofchaos

tl;dr - If I'm correct... No HDMI port = No 1080p for your Wii U on that particular TV/monitor, sadly.

Pretty much. In order to broadcast the 1080p signal you pretty much need a HDMI cable as components will only output up to 1080i.

I don't know enough about DVI RedFox but this simple adapter MIGHT solve your problem and get your resolution up to 1080p.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00K7HECTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427762605&sr=8-2&keywords=wii+dvi+to+hdmi

Edited by LordTaco42

There's various formats of HD, but generally accepted as 720p or more.

Do you mean the picture isn't as clear?

Did you set it in the Wii U settings menu?

Try setting it to 720p first and then work your way up.

I had to set the Wii U's output to non-HD to get any visual with the component cables. There was no 720p option as far as I saw.

And yes, the picture is not as clear. It's a very noticeable change from the other TVs in the house (which has HDMI ports) to this one.

Pretty much in order to broadcast the 1080p signal you pretty much need a HDMI cable as components will only output up to 1080i.

I don't know enough about DVI RedFox but this simple adapter MIGHT solve your problem and get your resolution up to 1080p.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00K7HECTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427762605&sr=8-2&keywords=wii+dvi+to+hdmi

Can anyone else comment on this? I ought to be able to connect to the TV with this, but I want to be sure it will work before buying.

What model is it? Like, can you find it on amazon or google or something?

Here it is. It's older, but I recently got it for free from a friend who was moving (otherwise I wouldn't have my own TV).

I had to set the Wii U's output to non-HD to get any visual with the component cables. There was no 720p option as far as I saw.

Here it is. It's older, but I recently got it for free from a friend who was moving (otherwise I wouldn't have my own TV).

The resolution settings themselves are all done on the gamepad. Do you mean that the screen goes black after you switch it to HD? After looking at the product description though it only says that TV goes up to 1080i so your limiting factor probably has nothing to do with the cables and everything to do with the TV.

Edited by LordTaco42

I looked at the product description on Amazon and it says you need an hdmi tuner and a set top box to enjoy full HD programming. The hdmi cable was invented in December 2002 and didn't catch on for a few years whilst that amazon page has reviews from July 2003, so I doubt there's any way short of an old school adapter will get you what you want.

Component only gets you up to 480p - my PS3 on component (I own a component cable that connects to Wii, 360, and PS2/3) only gets 480p at best.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that it probably gets 720p etc on like channels you get via cable, like in a university dorm.

Edited by Lord Raven

Pretty much. In order to broadcast the 1080p signal you pretty much need a HDMI cable as components will only output up to 1080i.

Strangely enough, I actually did have this sort of problem while running my school anime club. I blame the old school projector, where does the budget go?

In any case, my HDMI to VGA adapter (somehow) works in full HD. I sadly can't give a demo, for I tend to leave my laptop at school(It literally needs an external keyboard, I'm not taking that thing home). According to what I have seen, DVI is superior to VGA, so... yeah. There is a really good change that the adaptor should work for higher qualities.

P.S. Heard good stuff about Cable Matters. The link he shown seems to be a good deal.