Thieves use Bows this time.

Saladus

But you used Gordin as an example of a good Archer.

Gordin is, like, the Ur-example of bad FE archers. I can't think of any game where he's been especially good.

Maybe I was just really lucky but Gordin kicks ass when I use him in Shadow Dragon. I mean I still used Norne more then him but eh.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I was just really lucky but Gordin kicks ass when I use him in Shadow Dragon. I mean I still used Norne more then him but eh.

You must have been. 20% Str and 35% Spd growths are nothing to write home about.

Maybe thieves and archers are combined and now the thief class can promote to a assassin or sniper? I doubt that they have eliminated the archer class and i would not be surprised if there would be a ninja replacing the assassin class since this is a japan kinda themed game.

I wouldn't mind a merging of Archer and Thief it would give me a reason to actually use bows for once. Plus a thief using a bow makes more sense than them reverse gripping a longsword. Not only that, but I'd imagine if Sniper promoted from Thief not only would it mean some added utility to Sniper, but it would also probably net Snipers some extra speed.

Really the only downside I see to this is that it would most likely mean the cutting of Tricksters.

You know, I can't help but point out we might actually be talking about a separate class from Archers and the Thieves as we have known them.

I mean, in the Japanese Version the latter's class name have been usually referred in Kanji (盗賊) in the last few games instead of a Katakana Loanword. So there's a chance Assassins might be now a Warrior-style Promotion Overlap in the case Branched Promotions return in FE14.

Edited by AstraSage

Hmm... I really don't like this much. Why would a thief use a bow? If you had to sneak into a house, would you want to carry a big ol' bow or a knife? And even with the complaints about the big swords in Awakening, Swords can be sheathed. And also, if you met a guard while you are sneaking around robbing things, using a bow in such close quarters would be really hard.

Assassins could use bows in Awakening...

Yes, but the image shown seems to imply that thieves can ONLY use bows.

That is, if it actually is a theif (?).

Well at the very least, thieves must obviously promote to ninjas right? So they do get the ability to use swords eventually so maybe IS just did so to have a reason to promote them in the first place. For archers, I can only really recommend Shinon in RD as being consistently used and every other Fire Emblem game I've played has had me ignoring the sad little dudes. On the other hand, I used thieves extensively when I played, I know they're the less useful version of myrmidons and I promoted them to Assassin in the GBA games which basically eliminated their steal and lock ability so maybe IS is trying to spice them up in some way in IF?

I actually just wanted the Sniper class to be able to use knives in close range combat, just so they could do something when attacked even if it was minimal at best. I'm not digging the Thief only being able to use bows, but I don't mind it too much

Hmm... I really don't like this much. Why would a thief use a bow? If you had to sneak into a house, would you want to carry a big ol' bow or a knife? And even with the complaints about the big swords in Awakening, Swords can be sheathed. And also, if you met a guard while you are sneaking around robbing things, using a bow in such close quarters would be really hard.

This is my thought. I doesn't really fit thematically to carry a weapon that won't let him counterattack at close range. It makes sense for an assassin because the goal is to sneak in somewhere and murder someone. The idea behind a thief is they sneak in to steal things and avoid confrontations.

You know, I can't help but point out we might actually be talking about a separate class from Archers and the Thieves as we have known them.

I mean, in the Japanese Version the latter's class name have been usually referred in Kanji (盗賊) in the last few games instead of a Katakana Loanword. So there's a chance Assassins might be now a Warrior-style Promotion Overlap in the case Branched Promotions return in FE14.

I suspect that the ninja class we've seen is a new thief like class to replace the original thieves. Personally, if they want thieves to not look ridiculous with huge swords, they should just subtly downsize the swords and ditch the whole reverse grip thing.

This is what I believe will happen, thieves and archers are merged into one class. They promote to either Assassin or Sniper. (The ninja class might promote to a new class and maybe Trickster? That's if they want to include it.)

Another thing to note is a short silver haired kid who is holding a bow. Notice his stance. It is very similar to Gaius (the thief in awakening.)

The hunched over stance. This further proves my point. Also, this shows that it is not the enemy only theives.

.Silver_Haired_Bow_Thief.pngGaius.png

I doubt Archers and Thieves are getting merged, particularly as we've seen what may be an Archer (or a Sniper, perhaps) already:

H9DI4QE.png

I'm thinking Hoshido and Nohr each have their own set of classes, and Hoshido has traditional Archers. Since Archers were the only bow-focused class, a new bow-focused class needed to be produced for Nohr - but given the multitude of sword-based classes, it made more sense to just convert the Thief into one and even things out a bit more in the process.

I doubt Archers and Thieves are getting merged, particularly as we've seen what may be an Archer (or a Sniper, perhaps) already:

H9DI4QE.png

I'm thinking Hoshido and Nohr each have their own set of classes, and Hoshido has traditional Archers. Since Archers were the only bow-focused class, a new bow-focused class needed to be produced for Nohr - but given the multitude of sword-based classes, it made more sense to just convert the Thief into one and even things out a bit more in the process.

I find it hard to believe something as basic as Archers will be faction specific.

I find it hard to believe something as basic as Archers will be faction specific.

Many classes seem to be, though. Nohr's seemingly got Cavaliers, Wyvern Riders, Thieves, Mercenaries, and Troubadours, whilst Hoshido has Myrmidons, Pegasus Knights, Archers, what seem to be Ninja, and Clerics. There could also be a Fighter-Barbarian and Dark Mage-Mage dichotomy as well.

The cases where one faction's class appears on the other side seem to be cases of betrayal (the greyish blue-haired Cavalier, for instance, has shown up fighting for both sides).

Many classes seem to be, though. Nohr's seemingly got Cavaliers, Wyvern Riders, Thieves, Mercenaries, and Troubadours, whilst Hoshido has Myrmidons, Pegasus Knights, Archers, what seem to be Ninja, and Clerics. There could also be a Fighter-Barbarian and Dark Mage-Mage dichotomy as well.

The cases where one faction's class appears on the other side seem to be cases of betrayal (the greyish blue-haired Cavalier, for instance, has shown up fighting for both sides).

I'm sure there will be some faction specific classes in the game but unless they made a ton of new classes, there won't be enough to split the number in half. The game would be less fun if a large amount of the classes aren't even usable for a single play through (and that's a big deal considering the other routes are behind a paywall). Keep in mind also that we've seen precious little game-play, no doubt chosen to emphasize a different feel for each faction.

EDIT: Watch the Japanese version of the direct. There is gameplay footage of the blue haired cavalier girl and another character who is most definitely an Archer, and they are clearly fighting Hoshido soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-9kWzxKoo

(at about 2:40)

Edited by NekoKnight

^ Yes i doubt our characters will be faction locked, but I don't see the problem if the enemy is mostly class locked. So nohr still needs a 1st stage bow user, therefore thieves. Archers are only basic casue they are your only foot bow class except for hunters who arent in many games.

I'm sure there will be some faction specific classes in the game but unless they made a ton of new classes, there won't be enough to split the number in half. The game would be less fun if a large amount of the classes aren't even usable for a single play through (and that's a big deal considering the other routes are behind a paywall). Keep in mind also that we've seen precious little game-play, no doubt chosen to emphasize a different feel for each faction.

EDIT: Watch the Japanese version of the direct. There is gameplay footage of the blue haired cavalier girl and another character who is most definitely an Archer, and they are clearly fighting Hoshido soldiers.

(at about 2:40)

Classes can be faction-locked and still be available in either playthrough; Fire Emblem has a long-standing tradition of recruiting enemy forces, and reclassing might still allow access to them regardless.

I hadn't seen the archer in the JP Direct though, so I suppose that at least it isn't likely to be faction-specific.It might just be a thief, granted, given the cape and boots.

sj16VsO.png.

Edited by Twylis

Not only does it make more sense (Robin Hood, anyone?)

I take it that you haven't seen the bits where Robin Hood is sword-fighting against enemy guards, correct?

Anyway, this is one change that I'm not a big fan of. For me the word "thief" doesn't conjure up some guy holding another up at bow point (just like the word "pirate" doesn't conjure up an image of some beefy bloke wielding an axe).

If thieves are now locked to bows, they probably won't bring back the "steal from enemy" mechanic. I mean, it would require a bow-locked unit to run up to the enemy at melee range and steal their stuff, exposing it to all kinds of retaliation on enemy phase.