The issue of incest in FE...

Swirl-Theory

Let me be the first to say, I'm not for incest. Don't care if it was in FE4, don't like it. I don't see Eirika/Ephraim as an incesteous relationship either. Now that that's out of the way.

Hair color is a pretty shitty way to determine relations in FE, honestly. In FE7, you had three pegasus knight sisters (Fiora, Farina, and Florina) who had very different hair colors. I'm sure there are other examples that don't come to mind right now, but even in real life I think it's possible to have siblings with three different hair colors. (Ryouma's hair looks more black than brown to me.)

Hell, that's just FE7. If we are to look at Awakening, arguably the most popular game here.

Chrom: Blue Hair

Lissa: Blond Hair

Emmeryn: Light Blond Hair

Relationship to one-another: Siblings

Edited by DeoGame

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the first to say, I'm not for T incest. Don't care if it was in FE4, don't like it. I don't see Eirika/Ephraim as an incesteous relationship either. Now that that's out of the way.

Hell, that's just FE7. If we are to look at Awakening, arguably the most popular game here.

Chrom: Blue Hair

Lissa: Blond Hair

Emmeryn: Green Hair

Relationship to one-another: Siblings

Emmeryn has blonde hair, same colour as Lissa

Emmeryn has blonde hair, same colour as Lissa

God, I'm embarrassed. Though I will say that her hair is lighter than Lissa. I swear, I probably mixed her up with Palutena again. (Seriously Nintendo, same pose, same slit dress)

All three still fell under some variation of purple/blue. Hoshido contrasts a lot more with white, red, black, and possibly brown (Ryouma's hair is looking rather brown in this lighting: http://i.imgur.com/r81u2sh.png

My field isn't in genetics, so don't quote me on this. But if there are various combinations of genes that make up a person's hair color, I could certainly see how it could result in black, white, and red just by different combinations of hair color genes.

Kamui being a manakete while none of their siblings are could also be chalked up to recessive traits, and maybe it works like the Branded in Tellius.

In real life genetics, it's at least two pairs for blonde/black/brown (probably more, given that those two don't account for all the different shades, nor for hair variation as it ages), plus a different pair to determine if said person is a redhead (if recessive pair, it's always redhead regardless of the other genes).

EDIT: Of course, in order to keep the more vibrant hair colors, it could be assumed that instead of evolving from the smaller, preyed-upon reptiles, we evolved from an apex predator, probably not even of the ambushing type. Ergo, humanity might as well have evolved from dragons.

Edited by tuvarkz

My field isn't in genetics, so don't quote me on this. But if there are various combinations of genes that make up a person's hair color, I could certainly see how it could result in black, white, and red just by different combinations of hair color genes.

Kamui being a manakete while none of their siblings are could also be chalked up to recessive traits, and maybe it works like the Branded in Tellius.

My siblings and I are Brown, Blonde and Red (orange) respectively so there can be plenty of diversity in real life. That said, in fantasy, particularly anime-land where distinct facial features to point out a family relationship are uncommon, similar hair colors are a common way to denote who's related to who.

Honestly the incest doesn't bother me. I mean, it's gross and everything, but unless it's being shoved in your face it's typically as simple as 'don't have a brother/sister S-support'. FE8 was the only game where it was really implied directly IIRC and that's ONLY if you intentionally hook up Eirika and Ephriam and even then it's subjective. I don't think it could be 100% avoided in FE13 simply because of how free-flowing the supports were; but hey, dun matter.

What bugs me more is the reaction people have to it. There is a big difference between going 'ewwww' and 'I CAST THEE OUT IN THE NAME OF THE ALL MIGHTY GOD TO THE PITS OF HELL GAME THAT MIGHT IMPLY INCEST! By the way, can I still hook up with Lucina? She's cute. TO HELL WITH THEE!' Then again I'm probably pretty jaded as I know how common incest is IRL to know it isn't the world-ending abomination people seem to think it is. Luke kissed Leia with no reason to believe she was his sister. That doesn't suddenly demand that I try to hurry the kids from the room and shun them like a puritan mother who found a hooker in the room.

Honestly the incest doesn't bother me. I mean, it's gross and everything, but unless it's being shoved in your face it's typically as simple as 'don't have a brother/sister S-support'. FE8 was the only game where it was really implied directly IIRC and that's ONLY if you intentionally hook up Eirika and Ephriam and even then it's subjective. I don't think it could be 100% avoided in FE13 simply because of how free-flowing the supports were; but hey, dun matter.

What bugs me more is the reaction people have to it. There is a big difference between going 'ewwww' and 'I CAST THEE OUT IN THE NAME OF THE ALL MIGHTY GOD TO THE PITS OF HELL GAME THAT MIGHT IMPLY INCEST! By the way, can I still hook up with Lucina? She's cute. TO HELL WITH THEE!' Then again I'm probably pretty jaded as I know how common incest is IRL to know it isn't the world-ending abomination people seem to think it is. Luke kissed Leia with no reason to believe she was his sister. That doesn't suddenly demand that I try to hurry the kids from the room and shun them like a puritan mother who found a hooker in the room.

I mean I know how common incest is too IRL and thats why I hate it so much. In these things, and media in general they portray it as harmless, but for every person who has sorta shrugged and said they are happy, I have met two who said it ruined their life and that it was the most horrific thing to ever happen to them, even as adults or between siblings. Real incest has many other layers most people don't consider in media and fandoms, and kinda wished it were banned. I don't go near things that heavily imply incest because I can't help thinking of people it has hurt.

On the other hand, People who meet later and accidentally siblings? Don't really care. Doesn't trouble me one bit, that doesn't carry the same issues that real problematic incest does. So Luke and Leia, gross but whatever. Siblings raised together knowing they are siblings? It doesn't gross me out, it horrifies me.

and media in general they portray it as harmless

I have never seen this, maybe I've been looking at the wrong places?

Anyways I wouldn't mind and would actually welcome it as an element in the forefront even if there was a conflict with some main characters that was recurring as a secondary underlying plot point. Maybe kind of like Eltshan, but more than just 1 level? It'd have to be interesting is what I guess my point is. Otherwise just having it as a random support option that doesn't need to happen would be kind of cool. Maybe I just want it to see even more unique conversation topics since other characters would be limited to regular lover talk.