2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

*snip to make the quote shorter*

Right, but we had a Top 5 running game and still couldn't get anything done against them, and we had an amazing pass blocking OL and they had zero pass rush and like 50% of their sacks came against us. This is just 2014.

2013 we had zero offensive line or receiving threats but we split the series. 2011 we swept them, 2012 we split them because we rested our starters in the second match, and then we were swept in 2009 despite Carson Palmer being at the tail end of his time with Cincy (which Cincy fans don't like to remember).

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but we had a Top 5 running game and still couldn't get anything done against them, and we had an amazing pass blocking OL and they had zero pass rush and like 50% of their sacks came against us. This is just 2014.

2013 we had zero offensive line or receiving threats but we split the series. 2011 we swept them, 2012 we split them because we rested our starters in the second match, and then we were swept in 2009 despite Carson Palmer being at the tail end of his time with Cincy (which Cincy fans don't like to remember).

Huh, that first bit IS bizarre. Resting starters explains a lot too.

ExfB2zm.jpg

Melvin Gordon sporting the Bolts jersey as #28 is fucking sexy. Even sexier running behind our revamped O-line, with an elite interior line, and above average tackles.

Dave Dameshek, of course you'd say the Steelers have the best triplet squad (meaning QB, WR/TE, and RB). :P (he's a Steeler fan as well)

You could be right though, those Killer B's WERE pretty damn good last season (and they each hold or tie with at least one NFL record). But let's see how they stack up in a tougher schedule this season. Until then, I'm not going to say that they're definitely better than what a few other teams have (Packers and Seahawks to name two).

Edited by Anacybele

Overall, maybe, but this is talking about the starting QB, no. 1 WR, and starting RB. The Seahawks could have a great no. 1 WR while the rest of their WRs are crap.

Man I am excited for next year. I'm iffy overall on our 3-4 DE spot, but we actually look very balanced on paper.

QB: Joe Flacco

RB: Justin Forsett

RB2: Lorenzo Taliaferro/Buck Allen

FB/HB: Kyle Jucyzcyk

WR1: Breshad Perriman

WR2: Steve Smith

WR3: Michael Campanaro/Marlon Brown/Kamar Aiken

TE1: Dennis Pitta

TE2: Crockett Gillmore (blocker)

TE3: Maxx Williams

LT: Eugene Monroe

LG: Kelechi Osemele

C: Jeremy Zuttah/John Urschel

RG: Marshal Yanda

RT: Rick Wagner

DE: Timmy Jernigan

DE: Chris Canty

NT: Brandon Williams

Edge Rusher: Elvis Dumervil

Run Stopper: Courtney Upshaw

OLB: Terrell Suggs

ILB: CJ Mosley

ILB: Daryl Smith/Arthur Brown (lol maybe)

CB1: Jimmy Smith

CB2: Lardarius Webb (pls stay healthy @both of you)

CB3: Kyle Arrington

CB4: Rashaan Melvin (possibly)

S: Will Hill

S: Kendrick Lewis

S: Terrence Brooks

Not many superstars (well expect a bunch from our defense, namely Jimmy Smith/CJ Mosley/Will Hill/Brandon Williams on top of Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil) but a very solid core.

Yeah, I'm excited to see if our teams can make some close matchups again! The last three weren't really that at all. First one my Steelers got blown the fuck out, the second one they ran all over the Ravens, and the third, the Ravens laid the smack down once again. I like when these two teams go neck and neck!

Also, my Farewell Polamalu shirt just got here today! :D I'm wearing it too, of course. Still gonna miss seeing this guy run around making plays! You just can't replace him. Nobody's gonna be exactly like him.

Glad to hear that Senquez Golson is looking promising though. And that the Steelers added another QB behind Ben and Gradkowski. Landry Jones is clearly rubbish, we needed a new 3rd string (Ben should stay healthy, but after that one year where both he and our second-string went down with injuries, we can't take any chances). Also, why the heck did this newbie QB enter the draft as a WR in the first place if he only played QB? It's no wonder he went undrafted... He has no experience as a WR.

Edited by Anacybele

chococoke was talking about Jimmy Graham, and he is a Tight End and they're gonna try to make him block.

I for one am excited to see him flat on his ass on a block. He'll probably do a Julius Thomas-esque chop block that is dangerous and injures someone.

Their outside WRs are awful though.

Oh, well, he was mentioned as part of the Seahawks' "triplets." I guess I shouldn't have just assumed that the list was only referring to WRs in terms of the receiver in a trio.

Those articles tend to miss a ton of nuances with respect to scheme and positions. For instance, people used to compare Welker and Megatron in terms of receiving capabilities, but they are two very different receivers. On top of that, Jimmy Graham is a different type of Tight End to Rob Gronkowski and Heath Miller; Graham is more of a receiving/slot tight end and Gronk/Miller play much more of a Joker Tight End role. On top of the difference between OLBs and DEs, how 3-4 and 4-3 DEs are functionally quite different (although it's scheme dependent, because JJ Watt isn't the same type of interior lineman as, say, Haloti Ngata despite both being 3-4 DEs at their core) and shit like that. Jamaal Charles is a much different player to someone like Adrian Peterson, etc

Yeah, I see what you mean. Especially since I'm definitely aware about Heath Miller. He can catch alright, but his best skills are blocking. That guy + David DeCastro and/or Matt Spaeth made for such a monstrous blocking team for the Steelers that that was like half the reason Le'Veon Bell could pick up as many yards as he did.

Isn't a joker TE just a move/receiving TE? That was what people called Aaron Hernandez's position, and I can tell you right now AH did very, very little blocking. I assume you meant Gronk and Miller were more of the in-line TE variety (of course, TE nuance is sort of ridiculous, up to and including Graham's attempt to get franchise tagged as a WR last year)

A Joker can block and receive, but their receiving skills are more akin to a large receiver, so they can line up outside and inside as a sixth linemen, and run wide receiver routes from a 2 or 3 point stance. Hernandez could block; that's the reason why Gronk/Hernandez were an incredible combination, because they could both block and receive extremely well. It's also what we were hoping with Dickson and Pitta, and if I were a drinking man I'd get drunk and lament on that some more.

Jimmy Graham is a Joker but he is poor at the blocking part. Miller is more conventional because he doesn't split out wide, I was pretty wrong when calling him a Joker.

Players like Marcedes Lewis are blocking Tight Ends, and I don't recall many of the other "6th linemen" Tight Ends.

Edited by Lord Raven

Philip Rivers landed at 43 on the Top 100.

Ike Taylor's comments are hilarious hahaha.
Ike Taylor's thoughts on Rivers: "One of my favorites! (imitation of Rivers) Howdy Cowboy! Got my cowboy suit on, got my cowboy tie on, got 18 KIDS!"
Edited by ~Summer~

HOLY SHIT. EAGLES JUST RELEASED EVAN MATHIS.

MY GOD IF HE SIGNS WITH THE COWBOYS EVERYONE IS GONNA CRY.

I DOUBT MATHIS WOULD DO THAT CONSIDERING HIS TIME IN PHILLY.

TOMMY T GET OUT YOUR COUPONS. WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE THE 2ND WORST GUARD IN THE NFL ACCORDING TO PFF THAT IS JOHNNIE TROUTMAN. PLEASE TOMMY T, WE HAVE A LITTLE OVER $12 MILLION TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. IF YOU CUT TROUTMAN, AND SOME DEAD WEIGHT AT CB PLUS DONALD BROWN AND KENDALL REYES. YOU WILL DEFINITELY HAVE ENOUGH TO AFFORD EVAN MATHIS FOR A 1 OR 2 YEAR DEAL.

Edited by ~Summer~

Philip Rivers landed at 43 on the Top 100.

Just goes to show that Top 100 list is bullshit at times. I'm not sure how he's 43 if Flacco and Ryan are significantly lower, considering Rivers' second half was horrific.

Stop talking in all caps anyway, it makes you look like an imbecile.

Edited by Lord Raven

Matt Ryan wasn't too great in the late games of the main season either. :P He and his team got trashed by the Steelers and Panthers. lol He also is one of the three QBs our man William Gay picked off!

Also, Antonio Brown got a picture with Cam Newton, omg two of my favorite dudes in the league in one photo. :D They're also with Randy Moss in this pic. AB put it on his Facebook page!

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show that Top 100 list is bullshit at times. I'm not sure how he's 43 if Flacco and Ryan are significantly lower, considering Rivers' second half was horrific.

Stop talking in all caps anyway, it makes you look like an imbecile.

Yah I felt he was way too high on the list.

It was just flowing optimism at the time. But if you prefer less caps, sure man.

Speaking of which, I felt Big Ben was shafted again on this list. People STILL don't give the guy enough credit. Yeah, Ben moved up five spots from last time and #26 is pretty damn good, but Russell Wilson is placed better than him?

Wilson might've been in the Super Bowl, but seriously, Ben set NFL records. And he broke his own records as well. This was the best season he ever had, I'd say. Russell Wilson isn't a bad QB, I'd say he's one of the best younger ones out there. He's damn good at scrambling around and avoiding tackles and getting some yardage all by himself, I call him Hustle Russell because of that, seriously. But he also has a killer defense and a bulldozing RB to help him out. Ben's hardly a runner and he won games with a sucky o-line and he's won games with a crappy defense. Seriously, I think if you put Russell Wilson in one of the losing teams, he wouldn't be doing quite as well.

Ben's got a lot of offensive weapons to work with though, so I wouldn't place him any better than #15, personally.

Speaking of rankings, btw, there was also a top 5 WRs video. The five listed were these guys:

1. Calvin Johnson (no surprise there, I agree he's probably the best)

2. Antonio Brown (again, no surprise! AB is the bomb. :D)

3. Dez Bryant

4. Jordy Nelson

5. Julio Jones

Seems accurate enough to me. I think AJ Green could arguably fit somewhere here too though. That guy definitely gives defenses problems.

Edited by Anacybele