2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Meh, I didn't think the Jaguars were ready to compete for a playoff spot yet anyway- still sucks though.

I'm thinking the Bills might start EJ Manuel (they like him for some reason even though he's never been good) and switch to Cassel partway through.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Smith is partly to blame as well. Tom Brady this past year rarely attempted any deep throws, but even he had some impressive intermediate-deep throws (my favorite of which was the frozen-rope 20 yard dime to LaFell to win the game against the Ravens.)

In contrast, you hardly ever see Alex Smith throw deep. There will be a lot of pressure on him this upcoming season now that the Chiefs have brought in legitimate WRs. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see KC win the AFC West this year though.

The AFC West is up for grabs for 3 teams except the Raiders.

Funny thing to note is that Alex Smith has never thrown 50 balls over 20 yards in a single season.

Kansas City is a good guess, but they still have questions on the right side of their offense as well as offensive depth. Their defense is very talented with good depth. It would be very surprising since they didn't make large strides in offensive talent, they re-signed their defensive starters and got Marcus Peters. Their offensive talent has a question mark since the lost of Dwayne Bowe, there could be a drop in Charles production. Bowe was good at run blocking as a WR. They also have a rookie Center at helm which could be a question for their offensive line. Mind you they had a terrible run defense last year being 28 out of 32. Very small talent stride on defense makes that concerning considering they're going against Montee Ball, C.J Anderson, Latavius Murray, Melvin Gordon and Danny Woodhead. This has been a problem since 2011 where they ranked consistently in the mid 20s. Something very alarming is that Smith has been sacked 45 times in 2014. Which likely contributed to his ruptured spleen. Compare that to others teams in the AFC West. Rivers: Sacked 36 times, Manning: 17 times, Carr: 24 times.

A funny stat to note is: Joe Flacco has been sacked 19 times this season. Tony Romo on the other hand has been sacked 29 times this season...

Ravens O-line > Cowboys O-line

La'el Collins should've signed with the Ravens. What a dingus.

I think this could be a Broncos down-year where they barely win the AFC West. The Broncos lost a lot of talent (Terrance Knighton, Orlando Franklin, Manny Ramirez, and Julius Thomas) through Free Agency, but as long as they have Peyton Manning, I see them being 2nd at minimum regardless. As long as they have Peyton Manning they are always contenders.

Also, I am obviously not bias but don't sleep on the Chargers. As long as we have Philip Rivers, we are always a contender. We only legitimately have 2 holes and the rest are depth questions. We also made large strides in talent on both sides of the ball. We have a hole on the left side of our D-line and at RG and RT. But we have 2 injury prone OLBs and questions at CB/SS depth. CB/SS depth has affected against both Broncos game and the final game against Kansas City. The reason we had a drop against the run is due to injuries. Our NT went down mid-season and ILBs. Which made us rank 26 out of 32 against the run. Despite being ranked 12 out of 32 in 2013.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

I don't think they like him so much as feel they "used" a first round on him and don't want to admit that it was probably a sunk cost.

Also, our pass blocking and run blocking has been extraordinary this past season. Our OL had a tendency to shit a brick against the Bengals though, I think 1/3 of the Bengals total sacks were against the Ravens or some weird shit (and 1/4 of our total sacks allowed were against the Bengals). I think the @Steelers game we had issues with the OL as well, and the Jaguars/Texans game we were under fire a lot. Besides, sacks are hardly the only statistic behind an OL's quality.

Edited by Lord Raven

Also, our pass blocking and run blocking has been extraordinary this past season. Our OL had a tendency to shit a brick against the Bengals though, I think 1/3 of the Bengals total sacks were against the Ravens or some weird shit (and 1/4 of our total sacks allowed were against the Bengals). I think the @Steelers game we had issues with the OL as well, and the Jaguars/Texans game we were under fire a lot. Besides, sacks are hardly the only statistic behind an OL's quality.

I know but it was an interesting thing I found, just wanted to mention it.

Would be more serious I added tackles for a loss and total of QB hurries.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Yeah, but the thing to keep in mind is that the Ravens were terrible at left tackle and our center was pretty average whereas the Cowboys were solid across the line. We had two Top 3 guards and the best RT in the league though.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, but the thing to keep in mind is that the Ravens were terrible at left tackle and our center was pretty average whereas the Cowboys were solid across the line. We had two Top 3 guards and the best RT in the league though.

I also have to keep in mind Flacco is younger therefore probably can use his feet more than Romo.

The Cowboys O-line wasn't that great at pass protection, whenever the Cowboys lost it was generally because teams got significant pressure on them (well having Weeden at QB for 1.5 games didn't help either because he was awful). I watched a few of their games because my dad's a big Cowboys fan.

Flacco's more mobile and Romo's more slipperyy, so Flacco's gonna leave the pocket more and Romo's gonna buy time more (70 yards, 2 TDs 17 first downs, 39 attempts vs 61 yards, 0 TDs, 4 first downs, 26 attempts)

Romo had a better year but they handed the ball off a lot more, whereas we've had some games where our run game didn't work and a) we realized it too late (@Steelers) or b) we had Flacco take over (vs Jacksonville, Playoffs @Steelers). Then we had random games like the Texans where nothing seemed to ever work.

Edited by Lord Raven

Oh and I agree that the Chiefs and Chargers could push the Broncos in the AFC West this year. If Manning really is 'over the hill', like he played the last month of last season, then their offense has serious problems because they're not a good running team.

Peyton needs to retire lol. He was great while he lasted, but now he's just old. People are overhyping him. People hyped up Brady vs Manning, but Peyton shit a brick in that game. People thought the Broncos would beat the Bengals, and they almost did, but Peyton was still acting like Jay Cutler there.

Edited by Anacybele

You know, I'm actually feeling the Chiefs this year. Maclin and Conley added to the revamped receiving corps. Charles and Davis, an incredible duo, working very well. Kelce breaking out as a TE. A solid all around defensive, highlighted by a TERRIFYING linebacker group made up of Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Josh Mauga and Tamba Hali. All of this combined with the slow decline of Manning and the Broncos and the unbelievably inconsistent Chargers tell me this just might be our year. Maybe.

Do people not realize that he got a pretty bad injury from making a block? QBs arent supposed to make blocks esp not at 38 years old

The whole team was awful against that Pats team btw, nobody was catching anything and the Broncos defense didnt work at all. I think people are forgetting that they made that pretty major comeback against the Seahawks and made the Chiefs/Chargers/49ers/Cardinals defense look very very lack luster. They managed to take the Dolphins in a major shootout, too.

Despite these injuries and being old he was still Top 5 in a lot of major passing statistics.

A 38 year old man blocking despite playing a position that's not supposed to be blocking, after playing for like 11 or 12 games, means "gets hurt easily"? Your logic makes no sense (ever)

EDIT: What does it mean to go Jay Cutler? Throw multiple picks in a single game against a team with a good secondary? Did Tom Brady go all Jay Cutler in the 2013 AFCCG?

Brett Favre also played until he was around 41 (in 2010) and there was a lot of theory behind Favre's injury resulting from the shitty field the Vikings had to move to in 2010.

Edited by Lord Raven

I never said that that was the only injury he got. Peyton reported that he'd actually gotten a number of injuries and even illness during the season.

And acting like Jay Cutler is just what it says. Playing badly like Jay Cutler bad.

I don't see how my logic makes no sense.

He was quite good at the beginning/middle of last season, so it's possible that injury could be the cause.

It wasn't just the Pats game where he was bad though, he couldn't do anything against the Rams, multiple picks against the Bengals, and couldn't do anything against the Colts in the playoffs. These teams were defensively inconsistent at best(the Broncos against the Colts in the opener compared to the playoff game highlights the difference here).

Do people not realize that he got a pretty bad injury from making a block? QBs arent supposed to make blocks esp not at 38 years old

The whole team was awful against that Pats team btw, nobody was catching anything and the Broncos defense didnt work at all. I think people are forgetting that they made that pretty major comeback against the Seahawks and made the Chiefs/Chargers/49ers/Cardinals defense look very very lack luster. They managed to take the Dolphins in a major shootout, too.

Despite these injuries and being old he was still Top 5 in a lot of major passing statistics.

That same block that caused the lackluster Donald Butler to dislocated his elbow lol.

You know, I'm actually feeling the Chiefs this year. Maclin and Conley added to the revamped receiving corps. Charles and Davis, an incredible duo, working very well. Kelce breaking out as a TE. A solid all around defensive, highlighted by a TERRIFYING linebacker group made up of Justin Houston, Derrick Johnson, Josh Mauga and Tamba Hali. All of this combined with the slow decline of Manning and the Broncos and the unbelievably inconsistent Chargers tell me this just might be our year. Maybe.

Yup one day we be shutting out the New York Jets, the next way we get shut out by the Miami Dolphins.

But with all due respect it's going to be fun to watch how the AFC West pans out.

I never said that that was the only injury he got. Peyton reported that he'd actually gotten a number of injuries and even illness during the season.

He got like sick like normal people do, and every player is injured. Manning just had an ankle sprain that he played through, which many players get on awkward blocks.

And acting like Jay Cutler is just what it says. Playing badly like Jay Cutler bad.

I don't think you've ever seen Jay Cutler play... he's definitely not nearly as bad as you're claiming right here lol

I don't think you've ever seen Jay Cutler play... he's definitely not nearly as bad as you're claiming right here lol

He's not but he's not good either. Cutler has synchronicty problems, no matter who is in his receiving corps. Which translates into lost games.

On the contrary, I have seen Jay Cutler play. I do watch highlights from like every game, you know. So whenever he threw an interception or fumbled or something, I pretty much saw it. I've also seen some of his stats, although the exact numbers escape me at the moment. I do remember that they weren't too great though. And I've read that he was benched after awhile!

He was benched because Trestman and Kromer went nuts last year and decided that they could try to put in Jimmy Clausen and see if they could save their jobs by showing they developed him well. News flash; he was absolutely terrible, and they basically lost their jobs at that point for being stupid.

Highlights don't really mean anything anyway, he's had pretty bad receivers (like Devin Hester as a WR bad, fucking Lovie Smith right lol) until like 2013 when he got injured, and 2014 was just a disaster for that team in general.

He's not but he's not good either. Cutler has synchronicty problems, no matter who is in his receiving corps. Which translates into lost games.

He's definitely a low end starting QB which translates to an average QB in the league. With Cutler I think a team like the Bills last year could make the playoffs. The Bears would've made it to the Super Bowl in 2010 if he didn't tear or sprain his MCL during the game; Caleb Hanie was awful and that was one of Rodgers' worst playoff games ever.

Jay was pretty underwhelming last season. I think the most concerning part of last season was that he seemed to regress as the season went on despite having talent around him on offense and a quality offensive mind like Trestman.

Obviously it's hard to win games with a defense like the one Chicago rolled out on a weekly basis, but Cutler deserved his benching IMO. My favorite part of that whole saga was his OC completely throwing Cutler under the bus WRT his contract.

Well the issue was that Trestman kept calling screens and I'm pretty sure Brandon Marshall kept getting hurt. Their offensive line seemed to regress every single game too, and they just didn't seem to like purely rushing the ball that often.

I'm always nervous that we end up taking offensive coordinators that were on teams which tanked brutally (Cam Cameron from the 07 Dolphins, Caldwell from the 11 Colts, Kubiak from the 13 Texans, and now Trestman from the 14 Bears), but based on what I've seen from Cameron, Caldwell, and Kubiak I can tell you pretty safely that there's a good reason they were fired. Kubiak was phenomenal for us, mind you, but there were some things I saw that made me understand why he got fired. I'll let you know what I see with Trestman's offense.

Whoa. Brady got suspended FOUR games. Holy fuck. Did anyone expect this? It's more than what Le'Veon Bell got. Also, the team had to pay $1 million in fines and lost their first round pick for 2016 and their fourth round pick for 2017. Just wow...

Edited by Anacybele