A favorite saying of mine

Metal Rabbit

This is dependent on the mistake and the scope of people one is referring to (I don't know how to word that but I hope it makes sense). Were one to make the mistake of consuming a poisonous plant, it is unlikely that the individual who did so would have an opportunity to repeat the mistake (this is on the individual scale which the quote may or may not attempt to define). On a larger scale, Sega repeated the mistake of putting a console in the market too soon before its competitors and suffered because of it, yet Microsoft was noticeably more successful with the Xbox 360 despite using the same strategy as Sega.

The quote makes sense, but only as a vague generalization. Personally, I do not think it can be reliably applied to any particular situation because it neglects the multitude of complex factors might be involved.

Edited by Wist

This is dependent on the mistake and the scope of people one is referring to (I don't know how to word that but I hope it makes sense). Were one to make the mistake of consuming a poisonous plant, it is unlikely that the individual who did so would have an opportunity to repeat the mistake (this is on the individual scale which the quote may or may not attempt to define). On a larger scale, Sega repeated the mistake of putting a console in the market too soon before its competitors and suffered because of it, yet Microsoft was noticeably more successful with the Xbox 360 despite using the same strategy as Sega.

The quote makes sense, but only as a vague generalization. Personally, I do not think it can be reliably applied to any particular situation because it neglects the multitude of complex factors might be involved.

When I read this quote in one of my classes, I take it literally and think of a student who keeps failing history class, and how he has to repeat it if he doesn't learn from it.

Although a real applicable use would be when Hitler made the same mistake of trying to take on the russians during the winter with insufficent supplies.

Winston Churchill right?

That sounds right. Churchill was an inspiring man afterall.

When I read this quote in one of my classes, I take it literally and think of a student who keeps failing history class, and how he has to repeat it if he doesn't learn from it.

Although a real applicable use would be when Hitler made the same mistake of trying to take on the russians during the winter with insufficent supplies.

Those examples make good sense (I like how you used it in the former example especially), but as a general principle it is still too vague to be of much use.
Oh, and Hitler wasn't? HE inspired us NOT to use Blue Eyed blonde haired soldiers and/or murder people, cuz you end up dying.
"All great world shaking events have been brought about, not by written matter, but by the spoken word." - I do not agree with this statement, but it is relevant to the quoted topic. Edited by Wist