Video Game Music As An Artform?

Steven Tyler

After reading the Video Game Music Vs. Mainstream music, I decided to copypasta an old post I once wrote on another site.)

My question to you is this: Do you think video game music is becoming an art form? Will the music we know, love, and enjoy will reach the level and fame of famous Hollywood soundtracks?

To all my fellow musicians and composers out there: If you are planning on making a living composing music for video games, how do you plan on telling closed-mind people that video game music is real music? How you plan on debunking people that say "Oh,video game music i nothing but making noise on a keyboard or it will never be an art form, give up."

I think it will take some time for music in video games to be understood as an art form. You know, maybe in the next five, ten, or twenty years from now. Who knows what will happen. One day, your favorite radio station might play some tunes from your favorite games.

One day, maybe the video game industry, along with a few fans, and OC Remix will get together and make their own radio station based solely on video game music. You turn on the radio and you are blown away that video game music is much of an art form that One Winged Angel is playing on such and such station.

One day, a soundtrack form your favorite video game wins a Grammy or sells of the soundtrack is over 1,000,000.

One day, you know. You may not believe me now, but I tell ya, it will happen. Or maybe not. Don't get your hopes up.

at the very least, its above what some people would consider "music" *coughrapcoughhiphopcough*

it stirs emotions, sets the mood. it just has the misfortune of being used for "child games" as some would call them.

eventually video game music will be appreciated as it is, an artform, but it won't be sometime soon, methinks.