Do you think they're will be an in-story justification for staves being breakable "weapon"?

BlueL

From what I can tell, staves had infinite usage in Gaiden unlike in FE if. [EDIT: NVM, apparently staves didn't exist in Gaiden. My bad]

Staves are the only weapon in this game that can break.

I'm sure they can just write it off as a gameplay feature, but I do think it'd be odd if it didn't get mentioned in a support (likely involving a healing class) or conversation with a villager about why staves are the only breakable weapons when everything else (presumably excluding items) doesn't break from usage.

Edited by BlueL

From what I can tell, staves had infinite usage in Gaiden unlike in FE if.

However, in this game, they are the only weapon that can break.

I'm sure they can just write it off as a gameplay feature, but I do think it'd be odd if it didn't get mentioned in a support (likely involving a healing class) or conversation with a villager about why staves are the only breakable weapons when everything else (presumably excluding items) doesn't break from usage.

Gaiden didn't have staves. Healing magic and stuff similar to that all cost HP to use.

Actually, all magic used HP.

In Gaiden, instead of staves, you lose HP when healing(or any other spell bar nosferatu) is cast, but there was no story justification for this until FE 7 in Pent and Erk's support convos.

So I'm not expecting much in terms of explanation until FE20

FE7 explained that? Huh, care to elaborate?

Anyway it's probably because infinite status staves is abuseable and stuff lol.

But making only status staves and those sorts of things have dura while other staves don't may seem kinda weird.

From a story perspective, perhaps the catalysts used in staff creation (The "Core" at the top) are weaker than other magical conduits... Which likely implies these guys somehow found a way to give tomes an infinite source of "Mana" to cast from... And if it's not the user, then I actually do quite wonder. Perhaps there's just an excessive amount of "Mana" in this particular world, but since Staves require the energy to be infused into or latent within the conduit itself rather than drawing it from the air via incantation like Tomes do, if tomes are written in something that won't wear out from the rapid page-turning and energy conduction it does make sense that they could last forever.

Of course, I don't know how to really explain weapons other than just assuming the metals mined in this world are exponentially more durable than those elsewhere in the lands of FE.

FE7 explained that? Huh, care to elaborate?

Anyway it's probably because infinite status staves is abuseable and stuff lol.

But making only status staves and those sorts of things have dura while other staves don't may seem kinda weird.

From a story perspective, perhaps the catalysts used in staff creation (The "Core" at the top) are weaker than other magical conduits... Which likely implies these guys somehow found a way to give tomes an infinite source of "Mana" to cast from... And if it's not the user, then I actually do quite wonder. Perhaps there's just an excessive amount of "Mana" in this particular world, but since Staves require the energy to be infused into or latent within the conduit itself rather than drawing it from the air via incantation like Tomes do, if tomes are written in something that won't wear out from the rapid page-turning and energy conduction it does make sense that they could last forever.

Of course, I don't know how to really explain weapons other than just assuming the metals mined in this world are exponentially more durable than those elsewhere in the lands of FE.

That's an interesting theory. I like the thing about tomes being written on some special pages that don't wear out and the lack of tomes being why staves still have a usage limit. The only other explanation I could see working was maybe one of the ancestor dragon(s), whether intentionally or not, used some kind of magic that massively increased the durability of all weapons but for some reason it didn't affect white magic (although that theory would have holes in it if light magic exists in this game, since I feel like light magic can be categorized as white magic as well).

I'd also love a justification for unbreakable weapons but if we get one i don't think it'll be anything more than what you said- exponentially more durable metals/wood.

"This magic will only work 20 times per staff"

Since I know no real life magical rules that would contradict that, I can't really say it's unrealistic.

I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but I don't think that really works since tomes last forever and they're also magic.

I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but I don't think that really works since tomes last forever and they're also magic.

A tome is just words you're reading (I know that hasn't always been the case in Fire emblem but it may be this time around) wheras I guess the staff is what you're channeling the power through and it can only survive that so many times.

Edited by Eveangaline

^^ enh your probably reading the book and using your own magic.

Which is why Erk has issues when using lots of magic. (In support conversations, anyway. I figured tomes were a little bit of both, though)

As for staves, I always imagined the gem/stone/whatever on the tip took energy and focused it, and would crack or something if used up. But that's just me making things up haha.

It's rather interesting to see that most people think the same thing as I. (Albeit in lesser detail but I digress.)

With Erk's supports being brought up so much as of late I'm actually tempted to start FE7 again and read through those...

I don't think the swords you're using are literally unbreakable from a story perspective. For example, it's not that iron swords can't break, it's that you either have access to so many of them or they're so cheap that acquiring replacements is negligible. For unique items, they simply aren't breaking, so why would people talk about it? From a story perspective there's no reason to address it because it's just how the world works. Unless there's some plot point about a cleric with a staff with enough charges to only save a certain number of people, I don't see why it would be brought up.

^ I think it will might come up for a line in chapter one or the prologue to lead into the drop down guide on staves, though also could not mention the staves breaking and leave it to the guide, i could see them go either way

It's rather interesting to see that most people think the same thing as I. (Albeit in lesser detail but I digress.)

With Erk's supports being brought up so much as of late I'm actually tempted to start FE7 again and read through those...

Yea I guess it makes more sense than my dragon and magic theory lol