Fears for If?

Mr. Myrmidon

Yes, I was around when Awakening was bashed, and I specifically remember the term Waifu Emblem, but it's incredibly minor and only existant in a handful of users (unless you want to talk about GameFAQs, but they're known for not being the most civil of people). Thracia 776 and Radiant Dawn were legitimately challenging games, so I can see people saying that (my preference is a mix between PoR and New Mystery, but that isn't here nor there). Point is, anyone who bashes people for liking a new game are people not worth listening to and they don't make up the majority of fans.

Even further, if they never knew Fire Emblem was in trouble, I would be hesitant to even place the "true fan" label on them. Missing the yellow flag from PoR/RD's poor sales I can see, but the red flag should've been apparent when New Mystery wasn't released internationally.

The two things that veterans that I know from here and FEPlanet was even though the majority of us never touch casual mode (I forget this mode even exists), it's one of the reasons why the Fire Emblem series exist today. We all have our gripes about Awakening, but numbers don't lie. People love the game because it was generally stress-free on it's easiest difficulty and they can enjoy strolling through it, and as long as people realize our preferences doesn't have to be the same then we mesh pretty well. At the very least, a large majority of this board seems to understand this.

Are we talking Lunatic(+) mode? I actually haven't tried Lunatic(+) yet so I may need a gauge for as to how that would work. Sure, they can try to appeal to many types of people, but can IS really gather the fandom together on one single thing at this point? Fire Emblem: Awakening was the game that split things in two.

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards you or anything, and I know that there are some older fans who have some legitimate concerns with Fire Emblem: Awakening (I myself am a new fan and I have a few things that come to mind as well) but I've seen enough garbage to convince me that it isn't a minority of of people who are like that. Maybe I just don't react to things as strongly as others, but some of this seems like "what the hell".

Future of Despair is the same difficulty regardless of the mode (slightly harder in Lunatic+ due to having an extra Luna-specific ability).

I don't know about anyone else, but people disagreeing about Awakening doesn't mean the community is split to me. I've been part of plenty of other communities that are far worse than Fire Emblem is, even at it's worst. Many people would cite the Sonic community but the Smash community would take the cake easily.

Edited by HeroMystic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen multiple comments on this board from different topics about how people lamented when Fire Emblem wasn't "Waifu Emblem Garbage" infested with noobs only interested in easy modes and crap supports, among a few wanting a return to the days of Thracia 776 or Radiant Dawn. And trust me, it's not just this site where lots of people make those remarks. The actual "rift" between Awakening fans and older fans lie with how some older fans hate how Awakening is bringing new people who "don't understand the true essence of Fire Emblem and is getting this watered down bastard child". Those are not exact words but they may as well be. Do you not see any of this going on at all?

I'm not very much convinced that older fans knew that FE was not shaping up well. No one knew that Awakening could have been the last game and most assumed that Fire Emblem was merely in a slight slump after Radiant Dawn's success (which was one of the two poorest selling games in mainland Japan next to its prequel), the very game many people said was the end-all Fire Emblem in terms of gameplay. Again, I've seen people wish they had Thracia's level of difficulty because they felt that it truly captured Fire Emblem's essence, the notoriously most difficult game even by the series standards.

There's no argument there but too many people blow it out of proportion, hence the derisive noob arguments leveled at Awakening's fans.

Are we talking Lunatic(+) mode? I actually haven't tried Lunatic(+) yet so I may need a gauge for as to how that would work. Sure, they can try to appeal to many types of people, but can IS really gather the fandom together on one single thing at this point? Fire Emblem: Awakening was the game that split things in two.

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards you or anything, and I know that there are some older fans who have some legitimate concerns with Fire Emblem: Awakening (I myself am a new fan and I have a few things that come to mind as well) but I've seen enough garbage to convince me that it isn't a minority of of people who are like that. Maybe I just don't react to things as strongly as others, but some of this seems like "what the hell".

I will say one reason I love these forums so much is it is much less pronounced here then on other forums. Every group of games will have favorites and haters, but here it is beyond reasonable levels while others it seems an out and out war. This is one of the most civil game forums I have ever been on, so long time members here may not get how bad it was elsewhere?

After glancing at the topic about unit quantity between the two versions, I think what I'm most concerned about is the characters being written more in lieu of Awakening's cast; only more shallow. One of the main reasons I enjoy this series is the personal commitment and attachment I have toward my units, so if I'm not feeling their designs or their personalities, I worry that it will hinder my overall enjoyment to a significant extent.

Of course, depth, variety, and challenge in terms of the gameplay itself is important too, and I'm holding out on a limb that Nohr will at least satisfy that itch. But considering the story is supposed to have a greater emphasis this time around, ultimately my thoughts loop back to the quality of said writing. I want to see my army bond through fairly believable and non-superfluous means, not baking.

EDIT: Taking a quick glance above, I feel compelled to say I don't feel strongly against Awakening. I sunk well over 100 hours into it, but in spite of its vast replay value for me I will admit it left a few things to be desired.

Edited by Cryptic Banshee

My fear is that I'll go crazy waiting for the game to come out in the US.

I hope we're not forced to kill off Camilla the other siblings of the opposite route. I'd like the option to spare them, at the very least.

I agree heartily with this. I don't want to have to kill them...maybe they can just retreat after being defeated? And still be relevant to the story plot and everything?

Same as Tsunami, I wanna be able to choose to spare them. ;;

But I'm also really really hoping that this game avoids the godawful grinding that FE had.

I don't know if I've interpreted the 'less opportunities for experience outside of the map' thing that I've heard about the Nohr route...but I actually appreciate that. I never grind in any of my FE runs, so not having the opportunity to grind is perfectly fine by me.