Weather

Dragoncat

I really like rain in FE7's Laus map, because it incentivises you to complete the map quickly via Marcus, as things get complicated and tedious if you don't rush. Making sure efficient play is rewarding and circumvents frustrations is an underrated aspect of many games in this series. However that map has serious issues with enemy AI on pirates and pegasus knights due to the forts, so it's hardly perfect.

Edited by Irysa

I think the problem with rain reducing movement goes hand-in-hand with the way movement costs are handled. Aside from FE4 roads movement costs have always been whole numbers, which makes even the smallest reduction a huge hindrance when applied across the whole field. If such wide-scale movement costs were fractions (1.5 cost instead of 2), then the problem wouldn't be as big. Same thing applies to desert maps, btw.

I agree with Irysa's remarks on weather too, it can aid in controlling the pace of the map either by encouraging you to play faster to avoid it or in some cases preventing you from going too fast. If all-terrain movement costs were handled better I'd be happy to see weather return.

How the hell does that make any sense, exactly?

Try jogging through a field on a sunny day. Now, try jogging through the same field after it's been saturated by heavy rains. You'll find it harder to move when it's muddy and your clothes have that additional water weight.

If such wide-scale movement costs were fractions (1.5 cost instead of 2), then the problem wouldn't be as big. Same thing applies to desert maps, btw.

How would that work? You can't go half/a third of/whatever a tile.

Edited by Dragoncat

It would add up obviously.

Total of 6 mov.

Trying to move across tiles that cost 1.5 mov.

First tile costs 1.5, the next costs 1.5, so that means moving two tiles cost 3 mov. Moving 4 tiles cost 6 mov.

Edited by Irysa

It would add up obviously.

Total of 6 mov.

Trying to move across tiles that cost 1.5 mov.

First tile costs 1.5, the next costs 1.5, so that means moving two tiles cost 3 mov. Moving 4 tiles cost 6 mov.

And round down if it doesn't divide so evenly. So a character with 5 mov trying to move across tiles that cost 1.5 mov can move 3 tiles. (5/1.5=3.3333...)

Windy: reduces movement range of fliers(not seen anywhere yet)

We've actually seen both a weather condition explainable by wind and reduced movement for fliers. The reduced move for fliers was admittedly not a weather condition, but it was a map condition on indoor chapters in FE10. Additionally, 2-P in FE10 had wind blowing clouds around, which created moving terrain tiles that inhibit movement and provide bonuses to evade (and defense?).

Rain: reduces movement range of cavalry(seen in FE7)

Rain reduces movement of all units...?

I don't really like any weather condition. FoW, IMO, mostly means you are strongly encouraged to play slowly and defensively because you don't want to move a unit into a swarm of enemies you don't know are there, or requires multiple playthroughs or using walkthroughs to be able to play with some expectation of what you'll run into.

But at the same time, I manage to like FoW in Advance Wars, perhaps because computers generally need the same conditions to view a unit on a forest. Or because losing a unit is more acceptable in AW.

Edited by Severlan