If, Lufia 2, and Capsule Monsters

feplus

We received plenty of new information about If during today's Nintendo Direct and subsequently released videos / screenshots. I've seen many people express confusion over the "weird looking lizard thing" featured a few times, so here is some information.

The short of the long? If is introducing a Capsule Monster system influenced by (or stolen from) Lufia 2, a classic SNES RPG. You can find an overview of how the Lufia 2 system works here. The basics:

1. Capsule Monsters grow stronger by feeding them weapons and items.

2. Capsule Monsters aid the player during battle.

3. Capsule Monsters are computer-controlled.

In one of the new videos, we see the If system in action twice. For the first clip, we see the player scroll through a list of items and selecting one to feed to the monster. This levels him up. For the second clip, we see the monster participate during Ally Phase (meaning it's computer-controlled) and aiding the player.

While translations of the new information will shed more light on this issue, all signs point towards If employing a Lufia 2-style Capsule Monster system. This is likely Hoshido-exclusive.

I feel like there will be a variation of these. Fishie seems to heal the player, but I can imagine that there are others dedicated to attacking and/or debuffing opponents. I'd like to see some that repair buildings as well.

I feel like there will be a variation of these. Fishie seems to heal the player, but I can imagine that there are others dedicated to attacking and/or debuffing opponents. I'd like to see some that repair buildings as well.

I suspect you're right, in part because Lufia 2 does the same thing. Some Capsule Monsters are focused on healing and support, some are focused on offense, some are focused on magic, and some are mixed.

Wait what? This feature might exist?

Also you didn't mention that Capsule Monsters in Lufia 2 are discovered in the overworld, not just handed to you, so maybe they'll be treasures in-map and/or buyable?

Do you really believe that this system of growing creatures is exclusive to the game you mentioned?

I seem to remember lots of games that have similar systems to this game especially in Japan, i swear monster growing RPGs is almost a genre there.

Really? i swear i remember at least a few games where items are the main way to make them stronger. And somes games where the monsters are AI controlled. The aid the player in Battle thing i am not even going to touch.

From the castle trailer it looks like it eats only food items not weapons. So there is at least one difference.

Also, it does not level up like the other characters. It doesn't look like it has stats.

Edited by lovely_pan

This reminds me more of Monster Rancher than anything else. Between feeding Sharky, battling Sharky, and placing buildings down in your own land this game reminds me a lot of Monster Rancher 4. You know the best one.

Edited by Honey Bunny

goodperson is right it isn't that unusual of a system you can find the SAME with a actual SRPG mixed in Bahamut Lagoon a classic snes game(never localized).

In that game you can feed the monster(dragons) they even change form depending on this and they follow your units in combat but are computer controlled. So anything IF system is pretty much sucked from Bahamut Lagoon.

So the tittle is wrong

I haven't played Monster Rancher, but the Bahamut Lagoon system is different. You still feed your dragons, but dragons are a more central part of gameplay and can be very loosely controlled.

I doubt the level of control you have with the dragons ( the general follow/attack/defense) will be bigger than what you get on IF. It won't do to not having it in a SRPG game because otherwise the unit would keep going alone and suiciding

The tittle is wrong because the system is more akin to Bahamut Lagoon considering Lufia 2 is a traditional RPG and I have to point out Lufia 2 capsule monster system is the OLD Tamagotchi ( I wonder if people here are old enough to remember it lol) formula put in a RPG

I haven't played Monster Rancher, but the Bahamut Lagoon system is different. You still feed your dragons, but dragons are a more central part of gameplay and can be very loosely controlled.

It's very likely not like Monster Rancher, but the surface elements do stir up some old nostalgia I have for that series. In MR the monster raising is the game with several different foods you can feed your monster, several different training regiments you can put it through, and tons of different tournaments that your monster could be entered in. It also had a cool little gimmick where you would take the disc out, put a different one in, and depending upon what you put in the disc reader it would generate you a different monster. All that is just barely scratching the surface too.

Needless to say I doubt that's what's going on here.

You don't have to be that old to remember Tamagotchi.

I am open to being corrected with specific examples, but the Lufia 2 system- completely AI-controlled, growth by feeding, assist during battle, minor role in gameplay- was one I hadn't come across before, and I've played many RPGs. Bahamut Lagoon is not a good counter example because dragons can be loosely controlled and are more major inclusions.

You don't have to take this thread too seriously. I'm pointing out what I think is a neat parallel.